Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?

Posted by   + Show Post

What are your thoughts? Does this girl's wish make you uncomfortable?

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/us/2012/10/03/dnt-girl-kills-bear.waow

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Replies (51-60):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Quoting lga1965:

Here in MY state there are many Dentists who will do bridges and implants for nearly free becasuse they know that  Dental Health is important. It IS important. Your general health depends on a healthy mouth.That woman is not taking care of herself.

Quoting radioheid:

Hey now, that's not true. The clinic around here will *pull* teeth, but they won't put anything back unless you've had them *all* pulled and they are giving you a full denture. And they charge $40 per tooth. I know this because my husband had a tooth pulled there 2 years ago.

Quoting lga1965:

I find it disturbing in this day and age that her Mother is missing at least 4 teeth and they are so noticeable. If she can't afford dental care, there are Dentists who do cheap or free dentistry for needy families. I wouldn't leave home if I had a mouth like hers and there she is on TV talking about how blessed her daughter was to shoot a bear. OMG.

We do not know why this woman is missing teeth.

Any way, not every city, state or otherwise has dentists that are willing to do what is necessary at a rate that people can afford. It can be quite difficult when it comes to dental work.

I know I would be very embarrassed and would try all I could to find some one to work with me but I don't know this woman's situation.  

Besides, the mom and her teeth aren't what is important in this aspect of the story.  The child's wish is. ;)

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/guide/spec/freedental.htm

Here is information about dental care in this woman's state! Just because YOUR area doesn't care, that doesn't mean that other states won't help poor people. Obviously, dental health isn't a big deal for her. @@

lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting lga1965:

Here in MY state there are many Dentists who will do bridges and implants for nearly free becasuse they know that  Dental Health is important. It IS important. Your general health depends on a healthy mouth.That woman is not taking care of herself.

Quoting radioheid:

Hey now, that's not true. The clinic around here will *pull* teeth, but they won't put anything back unless you've had them *all* pulled and they are giving you a full denture. And they charge $40 per tooth. I know this because my husband had a tooth pulled there 2 years ago.

Quoting lga1965:

I find it disturbing in this day and age that her Mother is missing at least 4 teeth and they are so noticeable. If she can't afford dental care, there are Dentists who do cheap or free dentistry for needy families. I wouldn't leave home if I had a mouth like hers and there she is on TV talking about how blessed her daughter was to shoot a bear. OMG.

We do not know why this woman is missing teeth.

Any way, not every city, state or otherwise has dentists that are willing to do what is necessary at a rate that people can afford. It can be quite difficult when it comes to dental work.

I know I would be very embarrassed and would try all I could to find some one to work with me but I don't know this woman's situation.  

Besides, the mom and her teeth aren't what is important in this aspect of the story.  The child's wish is. ;)

I am sorry but  I don't get any warm and fuzzy feelings from a Kid's Wish being to SHOOT and kill a bear!

OMG.That's sooooo important. @@

nb34
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM

No they didn't say anything about eating it. Maybe they did, but I had never heard of people eating bear before today! So if they did eat it that would make it acceptable for me, if they didn't and they just did it for the fun of it, that's where I find it disturbing.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Well, ya caught me.  I didn't actually watch the video!  lol sorry.  

Bragging and disrespect is the opposite of what I was trying to say.  I was trying to say that we should be humbled and thankful for the death of an animal so we can eat.  

Did they eat the bear, do you know?  I know bear meat is not really good to eat, but I know of people who do eat it.

Quoting nb34:

I understand that point of view of knowing where meat comes from. But hunting a bear and bragging about it, is where I draw the line. I grew up where I would sometimes see my food being slaughtered, but it was always done respectfully and no one bragged about killing the animal we were about to eat. And nobody posed with the dead animal either.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Meh, it's not that weird.  I know a lot of hunters who respect the environment and feel it's better to really know that meat does not grow on a boneless skinless chicken breast tree, pre-wrapped for our convenience.  That it is an actual dead animal, who died to give us food.  I think with that point of view it is more respectful than just assuming that some evil killer did the dirty part to we can just ignore it.

Personally, though, I do not like guns or hunting, lol.

OttawaHoney
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Why judge people like that? Maybe she had no teeth because any money she has for medical needs goes to help her daughter.

Quoting lga1965:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM

All I know is that if I was 11 and was in bad health, needed transplants,I would be doing something else. Maybe, a few days in NYC seeing Broadway plays? Or a trip to Washington DC? Or corresponding through snail mail or e-mail,whatever, with other kids who are waiting for a transplant....do something constructive rather than destructive, Killing is destructive.

lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM

If you know anything about dental health, you will know that it takes YEARS to lose teeth like that so she has been ignoring her teeth for YEARS, during which she could have looked for low cost or free dental work at a clinic.  Gahhhhh....is there no end to the EXCUSES you Moms can find to justify gross neglect of one's health? Or is it just more fun to disagree wth people? A hobby?

Quoting OttawaHoney:

Why judge people like that? Maybe she had no teeth because any money she has for medical needs goes to help her daughter.

Quoting lga1965:

mhaney03
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Quoting lga1965:

All I know is that if I was 11 and was in bad health, needed transplants,I would be doing something else. Maybe, a few days in NYC seeing Broadway plays? Or a trip to Washington DC? Or corresponding through snail mail or e-mail,whatever, with other kids who are waiting for a transplant....do something constructive rather than destructive, Killing is destructive.

I just need to say THANK YOU because you have given me the LOLs all through this post.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I don't believe in shooting animals as trophies.  I assumed (having not actually watched the video, lol) that they did eat it.  If they didn't I find that disturbing, too.

I know of people who eat bear meat.  They are very big animals so anyone who has actually shot one is always tried to palm off the meat to people.  Members of my family who have relied on hunting for food have eaten it.  It can be expensive to process, too, but my dad's family would use the whole bear if they shot one.  (they were very poor when my dad was young and lived off of a garden and hunting for most of what they needed for their big family.) The tallow is useful as well as the meat and hide.  They would not shoot many, though, and would never shoot one for sport.  they also ate a lot of deer, squirrels, rabbits, ducks and grouse.

Quoting nb34:

No they didn't say anything about eating it. Maybe they did, but I had never heard of people eating bear before today! So if they did eat it that would make it acceptable for me, if they didn't and they just did it for the fun of it, that's where I find it disturbing.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Well, ya caught me.  I didn't actually watch the video!  lol sorry.  

Bragging and disrespect is the opposite of what I was trying to say.  I was trying to say that we should be humbled and thankful for the death of an animal so we can eat.  

Did they eat the bear, do you know?  I know bear meat is not really good to eat, but I know of people who do eat it.

Quoting nb34:

I understand that point of view of knowing where meat comes from. But hunting a bear and bragging about it, is where I draw the line. I grew up where I would sometimes see my food being slaughtered, but it was always done respectfully and no one bragged about killing the animal we were about to eat. And nobody posed with the dead animal either.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Meh, it's not that weird.  I know a lot of hunters who respect the environment and feel it's better to really know that meat does not grow on a boneless skinless chicken breast tree, pre-wrapped for our convenience.  That it is an actual dead animal, who died to give us food.  I think with that point of view it is more respectful than just assuming that some evil killer did the dirty part to we can just ignore it.

Personally, though, I do not like guns or hunting, lol.

Tanya93-
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

No, because I didn't post what I really think and never will.

You are just so incredibly ugly about and towards people's appearances.   The superficiality of you is just unbelievable for someone who pretends to have an open mind.

Quoting lga1965:

LOL. Okay. Feel better now?

Quoting Tanya93-:

You are just a ranting, hateful, old woman about anyone who doesn't look the way you think they should.

Quoting lga1965:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)