Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?

Posted by   + Show Post

What are your thoughts? Does this girl's wish make you uncomfortable?

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/us/2012/10/03/dnt-girl-kills-bear.waow

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Replies (61-70):
Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Some kids wish for a pony. Some kids wish for a cruise to Jamaica. Some kids wish for a kiss from Carrie Underwood.

This kid wished to go hunting.

All and all, I have no problem in it. My youngest Dd (she's going to be 15 in November) wants to learn how to use a cross bow. It's her new addiction. Soon we'll be calling her Katness Primrose Princess Pumpkin Butt.

AND...I have all my teeth, so should there be a video, there will be no questions posed about missing toofers.

OttawaHoney
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM
I usually agree with you on many things, however your view on this is very eye opening, as is your response to me.

Quoting lga1965:

If you know anything about dental health, you will know that it takes YEARS to lose teeth like that so she has been ignoring her teeth for YEARS, during which she could have looked for low cost or free dental work at a clinic.  Gahhhhh....is there no end to the EXCUSES you Moms can find to justify gross neglect of one's health? Or is it just more fun to disagree wth people? A hobby?

Quoting OttawaHoney:

Why judge people like that? Maybe she had no teeth because any money she has for medical needs goes to help her daughter.

Quoting lga1965:

I find it disturbing in this day and age that her Mother is missing at least 4 teeth and they are so noticeable. If she can't afford dental care, there are Dentists who do cheap or free dentistry for needy families. I wouldn't leave home if I had a mouth like hers and there she is on TV talking about how blessed her daughter was to shoot a bear. OMG.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I have no problem w/ kids hunting.

Kids who hunt, fish and trap don't mug little old ladies.

The only thing I don't like is that she said she turned her head. That's dangerous. There's is nothing wrong or bad about children learning how to use firearms and/ or hunt. She did good!

You want to tell that to the kids that my dad grew up with? Hell, my uncle loves his hunting and fishing.. has been in jail for aggravated assault and destruction of personal property.

There are kids here in Hawaii that go and hunt boar one weekend and are in jail the next. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting lga1965:

Here in MY state there are many Dentists who will do bridges and implants for nearly free becasuse they know that  Dental Health is important. It IS important. Your general health depends on a healthy mouth.That woman is not taking care of herself.

Quoting radioheid:

Hey now, that's not true. The clinic around here will *pull* teeth, but they won't put anything back unless you've had them *all* pulled and they are giving you a full denture. And they charge $40 per tooth. I know this because my husband had a tooth pulled there 2 years ago.

Quoting lga1965:

I find it disturbing in this day and age that her Mother is missing at least 4 teeth and they are so noticeable. If she can't afford dental care, there are Dentists who do cheap or free dentistry for needy families. I wouldn't leave home if I had a mouth like hers and there she is on TV talking about how blessed her daughter was to shoot a bear. OMG.

We do not know why this woman is missing teeth.

Any way, not every city, state or otherwise has dentists that are willing to do what is necessary at a rate that people can afford. It can be quite difficult when it comes to dental work.

I know I would be very embarrassed and would try all I could to find some one to work with me but I don't know this woman's situation.  

Besides, the mom and her teeth aren't what is important in this aspect of the story.  The child's wish is. ;)

I am sorry but  I don't get any warm and fuzzy feelings from a Kid's Wish being to SHOOT and kill a bear!

OMG.That's sooooo important. @@

I don't expect any one to get all warm and fuzzy.  I don't either.

Like I said, if some one doesn't understand hunting, they aren't going to understand.  There is nothing wrong with it, be it deer, elk, bear, otherwise.  

To her, it was important.  That is what is important.  

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

alliesaurus
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Nope, not at all. Good for her, I am glad her wish came true. I do hope someone tells her its not safe to look away or close your eyes while shooting though. 

melissam78
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM
While I personally am not for hunting or killing any animals,I certainly won't judge anyone holding a shot gun,she got her wish :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I have no problem w/ kids hunting.

Kids who hunt, fish and trap don't mug little old ladies.

The only thing I don't like is that she said she turned her head. That's dangerous. There's is nothing wrong or bad about children learning how to use firearms and/ or hunt. She did good!

You want to tell that to the kids that my dad grew up with? Hell, my uncle loves his hunting and fishing.. has been in jail for aggravated assault and destruction of personal property.

There are kids here in Hawaii that go and hunt boar one weekend and are in jail the next. 

That has more to do w/ the values they were taught then the hunting and fishing thing. its a saying we live by here, and most of the kids who hunt and fish are kept busy and outdoors and out of trouble.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM
3 moms liked this

I see nothing wrong with this.  Hunting is a skill for both boys and girls.

brandydesiree
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. My son is six. He got a 410 for his birthday, and has already taken a gun safety class and been to the range. I think if you are going to have weapons in your home, its better that your children be able to properly use it. Otherwise, they accidental shot someone or themselves, because they aren't aware how to handle it safely.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Yeah.  I find hunting disturbing in general.  I understand the need for population control....but kids using guns?  Not cool.  Also what was most disturbing were the pictures of the dead bear.  I don't need that in my face. 

Whats "not cool" about children learning to properly use firearms and hunt? And as far as the pictures of the dead bear "in your face" please, there wasnt even any blood.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM

are you a vegan?

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Yeah.  I find hunting disturbing in general.  I understand the need for population control....but kids using guns?  Not cool.  Also what was most disturbing were the pictures of the dead bear.  I don't need that in my face. 

Whats "not cool" about children learning to properly use firearms and hunt? And as far as the pictures of the dead bear "in your face" please, there wasnt even any blood.

Blood is not what disturbs me.  Real-life pictures of dead things disturbs me.  If it were a picture of a dead person you'd be disturbed.  I don't care for dead animals, and I think hunting for sport is barbaric and violent.  I am disturbed by sweet little children partaking in violent acts. 

sidesplittinglaughterare you serious, omg. lololol

I am very serious.  I have incredible respect for all living creatures and killing them for fun seems barbaric and violent to me.  Would you like to further ridicule my spiritual beliefs? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured