Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why Are People Saying Romney Won The Debate?

Posted by   + Show Post
He couldn't answer a single question, couldn't give any details...he just blew hot air over and over about Obama's policies without explaining how his would work better, even when given the opportunity. All I heard was "cut PBS", "repeal Obamacare", constant interruptions and politely telling Jim Lehrer to shut up. This wins the debate???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Replies (61-70):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Right at the top of the hour Obama was asked to respond to something R said about "trickle down economics" O began talking about the importance of education.  He didn't say anything about the topic until his last 30 seconds of time.  I'm screaming, "WHAT?!? Where are you going with that!??" Totally ignored the question he couldn't answer. 

Talk about dodging a question.  O did a fine job of that. 

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I HATE what our media and candidates offer us as 'debates.'

A few years ago, Gingrich 'debated' Cuomo in a format he 'hoped' would be demanded by the American people...it seems to have either gone unnoticed, OR the American population is willing to accept this pitiful excuse for real debate and substance. In the Gingrich/Cuomo debate, the two flipped a coin to determine who went first. The questions were asked BY the opponents. Which tells the viewer what THAT person thinks is an important issue. The respondent has no foreknowledge of the question, so the viewer can see them draw on their own knowledge base and examine their train of logic and thought process. The questioner determines when the question is exhausted..in other words, they can aske follow-up or for clarification on key points of the respondents reply. When the question is exhausted, the other person asks their question. It was a fascinating and informative and respectful exchange of ideas that demonstrated for the audience in much greater detail the depth of knowledge of each and the issues they found to be relevent to the nation or the discussion.

Until voters demand it, they will not get it: neither the msm nor the candidates have a desire to change the status quo: one is after gotchas and ad money and the other after gotchas and soundbites...neither is interested in informing the voter.

P

Quoting AlekD:

All I know is that, even after all those words he said, I still have no idea what Romney is actually going to DO if he's elected. 

Also, I just have to add that as a former high school debate team captain, I am so disappointed by these "debates." It absolutely blows my mind that high schoolers regularly engage in better, more composed, more detailed debates than our nation's leaders can seem to manage. Romney TALKED OVER the moderator. Multiple times! and inturrupted Obama. If the presidential debate had as much integrity as a high school competition, he'd have lost for that alone.  Apparently the time limits are really more what you call "guidelines" tha actual rules for them, too /eyeroll Neither one of them presented any actual evidences to back up their claims. This "debate" was just a wreck.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Quoting Tanya93-:

If President Obama thinks doctors should be paid for performance, why doesn't he support the same thing for teachers?

Maybe, because they don't have unions that contribute hundreds of millions of dollars to the dems.

grandma B

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Neither of them have a plan for increasing US jobs in a competitive global economy.

Consumer demand drives job and business growth- there is no consumer demand. Not  many consumers have the funds needed to push demand.

Quoting cammibear:

Obama lost when he showed he obviously doesn't have a clue in the area of Economics. Even my 14 year old understood that more jobs = more revenue, and it doesn't involve raising taxes.

Romney scored points because he came across as passionate, knowledgeable, and believable. I do think he is more likely to be able lead by working across party lines. Obama has not accomplished that, and made at least one statement that made it seem he is not the President of the nation, but the President of "some" of the people.

Romney could be all talk, but he has a good record of working with Democrats in his state. He is the better possibility of uniting us. And if I end up hating his policies, at least it will be a new face to be upset with for the next 4 years.

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM
I agree because he did
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Quoting radioheid:

And that's just the thing. We already knew what Obama was going to say, what I wanted to hear were specifics from Romney as to how he'd *fix* things, and I heard a lot of bitching and a lot of promise to repeal this and that, but no solution, no remedy, just "I'm gonna cut this and repeal that". The questions went unanswered. He didn't offer anything new, or even anything old that actually worked.

Quoting katzmeow726:

He did seem more eloquent, and Obama unprepared.

I wouldn't say it was that Mitt won, but that president Obama lost.  Mitt, like you said, was a lot of hot air. He spent more time turning every question to how Obama was doing things wrong, instead of how he planned to do things right.

You obviously have a hearing problem and/or a comprehension problem.....or is it that you just don't understand commone sense?

grandma B

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Quoting katzmeow726:

I'm all fine with him saying he would repeal stuff...but I wanted to hear what he would do in place of the repealed programs.

Quoting radioheid:

And that's just the thing. We already knew what Obama was going to say, what I wanted to hear were specifics from Romney as to how he'd *fix* things, and I heard a lot of bitching and a lot of promise to repeal this and that, but no solution, no remedy, just "I'm gonna cut this and repeal that". The questions went unanswered. He didn't offer anything new, or even anything old that actually worked.

Quoting katzmeow726:

He did seem more eloquent, and Obama unprepared.

I wouldn't say it was that Mitt won, but that president Obama lost.  Mitt, like you said, was a lot of hot air. He spent more time turning every question to how Obama was doing things wrong, instead of how he planned to do things right.

He did.  Apparently, you weren't paying attention.

grandma B

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Quoting muslimahpj:

I listened to most of it and Romney was an arrogant ass. I dont feel that he won. 

I also listened online so I could here a couple of the third party candidates weigh in, much better debate with them invovled. Too bad they couldnt have been on the stage with Romney and Obama.

What you mistook for arrogance, was actually confidence and knowledge in knowing what he was talking about.  Obama was arrogant, ticked and was getting beaten down so badly, that he even asked the moderator to change the topic at one point.  Pathetic performance for someone who has been in the job for four years.

grandma B

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting muslimahpj:

I listened to most of it and Romney was an arrogant ass. I dont feel that he won. 

I also listened online so I could here a couple of the third party candidates weigh in, much better debate with them invovled. Too bad they couldnt have been on the stage with Romney and Obama.

What you mistook for arrogance, was actually confidence and knowledge in knowing what he was talking about.  Obama was arrogant, ticked and was getting beaten down so badly, that he even asked the moderator to change the topic at one point.  Pathetic performance for someone who has been in the job for four years.

Umm, no. I do the difference, thank you very much.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Quoting _Kissy_:

Because he showed his true liberalism tonight. Maybe even more so than Obama.

And just how did you come to that brilliant conclusion?

grandma B

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)