Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oh, Mitt! *tsh, tsh* Smh...

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:51 PM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this

Where are we breaking records in health care?! For example, I see that we spend more than any other of the industrialized nations on prenatal care and delivery- only to have the second HIGHEST maternal death rate of all of these nations! Catch a clue! 

Come join us at~

Informed Births, Empowered Women! 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
The reason prenatal (and really any medical field) care is so high is because of frivolous lawsuits. Malpractice insurance is ridiculously expensive because of it. If we could eliminate those lawsuits, malpractice insurance costs would drop, in turn making health care costs drop.
louzannalady
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM
I agree, that is one piece of the puzzle. Do you know what the most performed operation is in the US? C-sections. Did you know almost half of all c-sections performed are repeat c-sections? If we can get providers, hospitals and insurance companies that provide liability coverage for doctors to support TOLAC's (trial of labor after c-section) and to do vaginal breech births- our health care costs would go down and we would have much fewer (perfectly preventable) maternal deaths. Also, if we looked at models of biryhing from countries with low maternal and infant death rates, they don't try to "manage" labor like we do. Saline IV drips, birthing on the back, pitocin, epidurals, constant fetal monitoring and AROM, etc all carry pretty small risk on increasing a woman's chance of having a c-section. Added together you end up with low-risk women ending up having major surgery to birth their child. (Not knocking c-sections or any of the interventions I mentioned, as there is a time and place for each. I also honor a woman's right to informed consent, should she elect to have a c-section.) One third of births should NOT be ending in surgery.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

The reason prenatal (and really any medical field) care is so high is because of frivolous lawsuits. Malpractice insurance is ridiculously expensive because of it. If we could eliminate those lawsuits, malpractice insurance costs would drop, in turn making health care costs drop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Litigious society- 

Dictates treatment.

Causes increased prices.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)