Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In A Cautious Debate Obama Gets The Points He Needed: Romney lied all night long and it will catch up to him quickly.

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:01 AM
  • 138 Replies
7 moms liked this

Like the first few rounds of a heavy weight fight, Mitt Romney and Barack Obama spent a cautious night together mostly dancing around each other. Each made their points, but not aggressively so.

Romney tried to be the aggressor but will have more tape that can be played against him the morning after.

Obama was the cautious champ, picking his moments and more concerned with overplaying his hand than winning every point in the first meeting.

Like Reagan’s cautious approach to the debates in 1984, Obama knows he is the president.

He has the votes where he needs them and he knows that it is more important to be true to those voters that hold the key to his re-election than to try to run up the score early to please his fans.

Anyone tuning in tonight to see the candidates go for broke was disappointed – and I think ultimately most people were disappointed – especially the reporters covering the race.

Obama did not win the night on its own, but that is not the job of an incumbent president with an electoral college lead.

Just like the selection of his running mate and just like the convention, Romney failed to deliver.

Romney’s aggressiveness may have produced the worst moment of the night for him – if Democrats recognize it and nail him on it.

Romney claimed to not know how anyone could not profit on their taxes for shipping jobs overseas. That is not only a lie, the benefit exists, but Romney reaped great financial rewards for doing just that.

He personally and repeatedly benefited from a tax law he denied existed.

The bigger problem for Romney is he defined himself to the American public as a politician that was not going to cut taxes for the rich, was going to cut taxes for the middle class, loves Medicare and supports popular government programs.

Wait till the truth catches up to Mitt Romney.

Alternately, Obama spent the evening being cautious. It was the right move. He was the president tonight. He defended his record and had the two best push back moments of the night.

First, as Romney denied his central campaign theme of delivering rate cuts to the wealthiest Americans, Obama rightly pointed out that Romney’s big idea was “never mind”.

Second, Obama dropped an excellent line when he questioned if Romney was keeping his plans secret because they were “too good” for the middle class.

Those are classic lines that will be replayed and underscore central themes of the president’s message and strategy.

Little that Romney said tonight was consistent with the campaign he has run for the last five years.

Obama made his points tonight without seeming shrill or arguing over a couple of minutes of time with the moderator like Romney.

Romney showed some of the annoyance he did during the GOP debates when he did not feel he got everything he was entitled to. Not a smart move on his part.

On easier targets like hitting Romney for talking about needing a new accountant or a clean shot to hit Romney on parking his money overseas – Obama passed. Again, It was the right move. The reward is not worth the risk. Surrogates will have endless hours to re-litigate the debate. They can deliver those zingers.

Romney did nothing to make himself more likable and he found no way to end the hemorrhaging of Hispanic voters, women or seniors.

It was on Medicare that Romney was weakest. That will not do for his campaign.

Obama boxed him in on vouchers and Romney’s return to a failed argument that Obama cut Medicare benefits is a loser.

Romney turned in the biggest flubs of the night. The first was when he said Americans don’t want Medicare. He meant to say Obamacare, but in the turn of a phrase Romney both seemed to reveal a truth about his philosophy about Medicare and elevate the Affordable Care Act to the program, along with Social Security, American voters feel most passionate about.

Romney must feel confident on the right because he embraced a bigger government and seemed to walk away from a commitment to cut taxes.

Those on the right worried about Romney playing the right wing have new reason to be worried tonight.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:06 AM
5 moms liked this

This article perfectly summarizes how the debate felt to me.

Of course it looks like Romney won because he denied his own Tax Plan. Made up lie after lie. Dodged any attempt to offer details on nearly any of the subjects at hand but scrutinized President Obama's plan any way he can (Even using PolitiFact's 2010 Lie of the Year).

And ignored the rules and moderator to get the last word in nearly every time.

However, the problem with that is after the debate, His lies are still just that-Lies. His refusal to show any details on many of his points contrasted by President Obama's actual plans (with details) will catch up with him.

Quote:

First, as Romney denied his central campaign theme of delivering rate cuts to the wealthiest Americans, Obama rightly pointed out that Romney’s big idea was “never mind”.

Second, Obama dropped an excellent line when he questioned if Romney was keeping his plans secret because they were “too good” for the middle class.

This Video is the Clip of Obama pointing out that Romney is keeping most of his plan a secret and wondering if he refuses to tell us because the plans are just too good.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Look for Obama to be better prepared in two weeks; when his second debate with Romney will take place.

It never looks good when; after a debate, one side starts to complain about the moderator. Especially, this guy who has done so many in the past.

Remind me of Reagan in his first debate against Mondale in '84 in Louisville.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:23 AM
12 moms liked this

well i guess you got that article from a bias opinion reporter, because everywhere else and from what i saw last night  ROMNEY KICKED ASS!

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:31 AM

That's Funny because I turned on Fox News at 5am this morning when I woke up and The are even  saying Romney didn't do so hot. ABC News is getting ready to talk about it in the next 5 minutes and from the Preview Romney did poorly...

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

well i guess you got that article from a bias opinion reporter, because everywhere else and from what i saw last night  ROMNEY KICKED ASS!

Yes-If by Kicked Ass you mean he dodged any attempt to give details on his plans. Denied his own Tax Plan.

Like I said earlier. It is really easy to look like the winner if you refuse to give any details about any of your plans but require the utmost scrutiny of your opponent, while at the same time denying anything that looks bad on you but again refusing to give any details if called on about it.

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:36 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting Donna6503:

Look for Obama to be better prepared in two weeks; when his second debate with Romney will take place.

It never looks good when; after a debate, one side starts to complain about the moderator. Especially, this guy who has done so many in the past.

Their next two are on foreign policy.  Since this was the first and was on domestic policy, it was a fairly single opportunity for Obama to get a contrasting economic message out in front of Romney, as far as the debates go. 

Of course there are ads, ect..., but Obama's problem is the very poor economic numbers which could indeed get worse between now and November.  Last night Romney poked holes in Obama's policies and looked like a man with plans, who is more knowledgeable and experienced on the economy.

Susan0805
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:40 AM
4 moms liked this
I quit reading after it said obama was cautious 3 times. He isnt cautious at all as a president. He has an agenda and he makes it happen whether the american people want it or not, thats not cautious. Obamacare is case and point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM
4 moms liked this

No, Romney reiterated his tax plan.  He has been saying that there will be tax cuts across the board, but that closing loopholes will mean there's no major net cuts on high income earners, while he pledges to not raise taxes on middle income earners.  Those critiquing his plans pick out the priorities arbitrarily, then draw conclusions based on that.  

In short, Romney did not deny his tax plan, he denied Obama's interpretation of it. 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Yes-If by Kicked Ass you mean he dodged any attempt to give details on his plans. Denied his own Tax Plan.

Like I said earlier. It is really easy to look like the winner if you refuse to give any details about any of your plans but require the utmost scrutiny of your opponent, while at the same time denying anything that looks bad on you but again refusing to give any details if called on about it.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:46 AM
Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting Donna6503:

Their next two are on foreign policy.  Since this was the first and was on domestic policy, it was a fairly single opportunity for Obama to get a contrasting economic message out in front of Romney, as far as the debates go. 

Of course there are ads, ect..., but Obama's problem is the very poor economic numbers which could indeed get worse between now and November.  Last night Romney poked holes in Obama's policies and looked like a man with plans, who is more knowledgeable and experienced on the economy.

Might I ask which Policies you believed Mitt Romney Poked holes in?

Because from what I watched Mitt Romney refused to give any details on his own plans. Which made me wonder as Obama said why he is keeping all his plans a secret.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)