Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What Is The Political Make-Up Of Your Family?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM
  • 24 Replies

My family is pretty diverse, politically. 

Mom, who passed away in 2008, was an Indie. She voted Democrat as often as Republican. 

Dad can best be described as a conservative Democrat or Indie. He voted Carter in '76, Reagan in '80 and '84, reluctantly voted Bush in '88, Clinton in '92 and '96, and has voted Republican since '00. He is, however, considering abstaining from voting for the first time in his life this year. He doesn't like either candidate, though, to be honest, I think he'd vote for Obama if he wasn't black. My dad is racist.

Crazy Grandma Mabel was a Ron Paul supporter who reluctantly sides with Romney. 

Big sis is a Republican-turned-staunch Democrat. She voted for Bush in '00, but has voted Democrat in the last two elections, and plans to vote Obama again this year.

Little sis is married to a girl, so................

Twin sis is an Indie who didn't vote in '04, voted McCain in '08, and has no idea who to vote for this year. She picked Ron Paul in the primary, and is one of those undecided voters neither candidate is really trying to court this year. 

Hubs is a registered Republican best described as an Indie with Libertarian and Green leanings. He didn't vote in '00 or '04, and voted Green Party in '08. He's leaning toward voting Obama simply because he vehemently hates Romney. He voted for Ron Paul in the Republican primary this year.

Son's father is a registered Republican and big-time member and supporter of the NRA, but he is yet undecided this year. He voted Bush in '04 and McCain in '08. 

I am a registered Republican with Libertarian ideals. I voted for Bush in '04, Barr (Libertarian Party) in '08, and I will likely vote for Gary Johnson this year, unless someone manages to change my mind this month. I voted for Ron Paul in the Republican primary this year. I have also been known to vote for conservative Democrats and Independents. 

How does your family vote? Is your family as mixed up as mine? LOL

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
We are all republican
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

My family is not very political. For the ones who are, they vote Democrat.

Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Immediate family--Republican

Extended family--4 Democrats and the rest Republicans

Lordgodempress
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

well the majority of my extended family is extreme conservative.  My dad is Republican,  he will continue to vote for Obama however because he can't stand Romney or anyone else the Republican party has had as its front runners.  He's been writing a lot of letters and how he feels they forced his hand with the "talking chimps" (his words not mine) they have running.   I am Democrat, my brother and sister are Democrat, my mom is undecided as well as my little sister. 

cupomeow
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My voter id says Republican but that is not true. When I registered to vote I think I probably leaned more to the right than I do now. I consider myself an left leaning Independent, I mentioned possibly voting for Obama at my last family get together and I thought I was going to get kicked out of the house. My dad was upset and I thought my sister was going to disown me for life, my mom questioned why I would do so. I am more liberal than anyone in my family.

I voted McCain in the last election because I felt he was the lesser of two evils. Here we are a month away from the next election and I am still undecided. I do not like either one. I swear i just want to close my eyes and eeine meanie miney mo because we are screwed either way.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM

My dad hates the fact that I am a Libertarian, and has called me everything from an anarchist to a Nazi because of it. He'll prowl & scour the internet for negative "facts" about Libertarians and Libertarianism in an attempt to show me the "err of my ways". lol

My twin sister gave McCain one of those "two evils" votes last cycle. lol

I am the only person in my immediate family who believes gay marriage and abortion should be legal, with the exception of my gay little sister on the gay marriage issue. My twin sister was the vice president of the Hiram College chapter of Right To Life in the early '00s. Oh, the fights we've had...

Quoting cupomeow:

My voter id says Republican but that is not true. When I registered to vote I think I probably leaned more to the right than I do now. I consider myself an left leaning Independent, I mentioned possibly voting for Obama at my last family get together and I thought I was going to get kicked out of the house. My dad was upset and I thought my sister was going to disown me for life, my mom questioned why I would do so. I am more liberal than anyone in my family.

I voted McCain in the last election because I felt he was the lesser of two evils. Here we are a month away from the next election and I am still undecided. I do not like either one. I swear i just want to close my eyes and eeine meanie miney mo because we are screwed either way.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

My husband and I are Independents.

Our 25 yo daughter is an Independent.

Our 22 son is likely a Democrat-never asked him, but he leans left, particularly on social issues.

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM

We are all pretty right wing one way or the other. Registered democrat but vote republican. I identify as a libertarian for the most part. Mom and Dad are conservative but accepting. In other words they aren't biggots but they don't really agree with legal abortion/gay marriage/ etc. We all see Obama as the worst possible option in November.

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM
The majority of my family does not live here. Dh family is split between libertarians and democrats.

My brother, who lives in the US, is in academia so that should tell you how he leans. He does identify himself as anything, I think he tends to be liberal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM
My dh and I have very similar views but emphasize different things (I care more about social politics he cares more about fiscal ones) so I tend to be more dem and he more republican. My father and his are polar opposites... Mine more left than I really ever imagined. His more republican (very fiscally conservative but pretty much a live and let live small govt socially)... Extended family is pretty mixed and equally distributed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)