Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pa student who wore Romney shirt: Teacher 'told me to get out of the classroom"

Posted by   + Show Post

Pa. student who wore Romney shirt: Teacher 'told me to get out of the classroom'

A Pennsylvania high school student was told to "get out" of a classroom for wearing a Romney T-shirt. She claims her teacher likened the garment to the KKK. WCAU's Claudia Rivero reports.

By Dan Stamm and Claudia Rivero, NBCPhiladelphia.com

A Philadelphia high schooler says she was humiliated after her teacher told her to remove a Mitt Romney T-shirt she was wearing, comparing it to "wearing a KKK shirt."

Samantha Pawlucy, a 16-year-old sophomore at Charles Carroll High School in the Port Richmond section of the city, says she wore a pink Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan T-shirt last Friday during the school's dress-down day.

No one made an issue of Samantha's political T-shirt until she got to geometry class.

"The teacher told me to get out of the classroom, I said no," Samantha said.

"She told me to take off my shirt and said that she has another one if I need one. And then the teacher asked me... 'Are your parents Republican?' I said, 'I don't know.' She said that's like her wearing a KKK shirt."

Samantha was so embarrassed by the public criticism in front of her classmates that she told her parents she didn't want to return to school.

"I didn't know what to think, I didn't think it was right at all."

They requested a meeting with the principal and the teacher. The teacher apologized to Samantha and her parents saying that the statement was meant as a joke.

"It was funny to her, but I was really embarrassed," Samantha said.

"If it was a joke between two adults, I can take a joke like that but (my daughter) didn't know how to take it. She doesn't understand, she actually thinks she did something wrong," her father, Richard Pawlucy, said.

"I can just picture her sitting there, feeling ashamed for just wearing a T-shirt," said her mother, Christine Pawlucy. "That someone could spin that and throw it back on a 16-year-old child and make her feel so terrible."

A spokesperson for the Philadelphia School District told NBCPhiladelphia.com that the teacher was transferred to another classroom as the district investigates the incident.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Replies (101-110):
OneToughMami
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM
I'm sorry but when does a teacher have the right to make even a joke like that to a student? If you have ever taken an edu class in your life I am surprised you passed...no teacher in PA has the right to say such shit to a student! It's vile and as an Obama supporter I am embarrassed!

Quoting Rbrown72707:

I totally think they are racist.  I don't think the teacher was accusing the student of being racist.  I believe it was just a joke.  However, the true definition of bigot is a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creedbelief, or opinion.  Right now, that is you.  So,  good night!

Quoting Billiebeth:

Oh. The Klan members don't want to justify their racism. I am truly sorry you are such a bigot.

Quoting Rbrown72707:

I'm tired of fighting with you.  Gnite!

Quoting Billiebeth:

Oh. It is so wonderful that you proudly admit your Klan robes aren't about being racist. Good job with pretending not to be a bigot!

Quoting Rbrown72707:

She didn't.  

Quoting tooptimistic:

Way to avoid how calling a student a racist is joke. 

Quoting Rbrown72707:

I'm waiting for someone to say, "This is why I homeschool!" 

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quote:

The teacher allegedly told the girl to take off the shirt, saying it was like wearing a Ku Klux Klan sheet. The teacher allegedly threatened to use a marker to cross out Romney's name and that of Rep. Paul Ryan, his running mate. The teacher also allegedly tried to throw the student out of class.

The teacher also allegedly said that Carroll was "a Democratic school."

Her parents were livid. The student was afraid to go back to the class. She thought she would be retaliated against.

Philadelphia School District spokesman Fernando Gallard confirmed that last Friday at Carroll, "a teacher made some comments to a student wearing a Romney t-shirt in their classroom. The comments were of a political nature, and also of a personal nature. We are looking into the comments, and the conduct of the teacher.

If a teacher told my child that wearing a Romney shirt was the same as wear a KKK sheet, I would take that as the teacher calling my child a racist.  I don't think a teacher calling a student a racist is a joke.  What part of that is funny??

Quoting Rbrown72707:

But.....It didn't happen that way.  I've been called far worse.  If you don't want to be a part of political conversations and jokes, don't wear shirts that support politics.  It will bring all kinds of comments.  If you can't handle these comments, dress neutrally.

Quoting tooptimistic:

I am confused as to how calling a Romney shirt the same as  wearing a KKK shirt is a joke.  I don't think being called a supporter of the KKK is a joke. 

Lets say it was a teacher who supported Romney and old a student who was wearing an Obama shirt they were supporting a N*? That the student needed to take off the shirt, the teacher had another or if the teacher wanted to take a black marker and mark out Obama.  Would that be a joke? 

Quoting Rbrown72707:

I don't see it that way.  I think she was just joking and the child took it too seriously.    I'd tell my daughter to ignore it.  

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Is that what the teacher said?  I must have misread the article.  I thought it was about a Romney shirt!  Hmm....Rereading.

The teacher pretty much called the student a racist for wearing a Romney shirt. She said it was like wearing a KKK shirt. I wouldn't tolerate a teacher calling my child a racist because she was wearing a presidential candidate tshirt.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Well like I said in the other reply I made teachers in public or in this case charter...have no right making comments like this. They are against most contracts actually. The teacher is wrong! The kids not sensitive...

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Nothing's wrong with home schooling.  I just think its funny that half of the posts I read about schools have at least one person say "This is why I homeschool!"   If kids are so sensitive to the public, maybe they should be homeschooled!  More power to you!

Quoting OneToughMami:

Why? What's so bad about homeschooling? I'm an Obama supporter and *gasp* I homeschool! And teach...sub but close enough until I finish my M.Ed

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quote:

The teacher allegedly told the girl to take off the shirt, saying it was like wearing a Ku Klux Klan sheet. The teacher allegedly threatened to use a marker to cross out Romney's name and that of Rep. Paul Ryan, his running mate. The teacher also allegedly tried to throw the student out of class.

Her parents were livid. The student was afraid to go back to the class. She thought she would be retaliated against.

Philadelphia School District spokesman Fernando Gallard confirmed that last Friday at Carroll, "a teacher made some comments to a student wearing a Romney t-shirt in their classroom. The comments were of a political nature, and also of a personal nature. We are looking into the comments, and the conduct of the teacher.

If a teacher told my child that wearing a Romney shirt was the same as wear a KKK sheet, I would take that as the teacher calling my child a racist.  I don't think a teacher calling a student a racist is a joke.  What part of that is funny??

Quoting Rbrown72707:

But.....It didn't happen that way.  I've been called far worse.  If you don't want to be a part of political conversations and jokes, don't wear shirts that support politics.  It will bring all kinds of comments.  If you can't handle these comments, dress neutrally.

Quoting tooptimistic:

I am confused as to how calling a Romney shirt the same as  wearing a KKK shirt is a joke.  I don't think being called a supporter of the KKK is a joke. 

Lets say it was a teacher who supported Romney and old a student who was wearing an Obama shirt they were supporting a N*? That the student needed to take off the shirt, the teacher had another or if the teacher wanted to take a black marker and mark out Obama.  Would that be a joke? 

Quoting Rbrown72707:

I don't see it that way.  I think she was just joking and the child took it too seriously.    I'd tell my daughter to ignore it.  

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Is that what the teacher said?  I must have misread the article.  I thought it was about a Romney shirt!  Hmm....Rereading.

The teacher pretty much called the student a racist for wearing a Romney shirt. She said it was like wearing a KKK shirt. I wouldn't tolerate a teacher calling my child a racist because she was wearing a presidential candidate tshirt.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

As a parent, this would have been my biggest complaint- 

Quoting tooptimistic:

what so funny about that?  I home school..  Mostly because of my son's autism and sensory issues and, my daughters health issues, but crappy teachers way down on our list of reasons why. 

What does that have to do with a teacher thinking it is ok to bully one of her students?  What does politics have to do with teaching geometry? 

Quoting lga1965:

I know!  Good one! big smile mini

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quote:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Pul-lease- the kid was probably being an ass-much. and this tripe gets in the news.

My ds wears his Romney t for the past year now (much to my dismay) but meh- it's his own money he's wasting (and thank God he can't vote yet LOL).

But one choses to wear a garmet that has a message displayed, one must expect comments. otherwise, why wear it? And if the kid is not mature enough to handle it, then she needs to stop wearing it. Granted, the tecaher went overboard with the KKK comment but it seems like it was all in fun and the kid took it the wrong way. I tell ds to be prepared to take the flack when he wears his t.

yup

But one choses to wear a garmet that has a message displayed, one must expect comments. otherwise, why wear it?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting radioheid:

If you can't handle discussion and possibly criticism, what is the point of wearing a political t-shirt? I just bought a Gary Johnson t-shirt, and I *KNOW* the comments are a-comin'. That comes with the territory of politics. And this is precisely why 16-year olds cant vote.

Thank goodness for that, lol.

And this is precisely why 16-year olds cant vote.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Why as an Obama supporter? 

Being an educator I could see how you might be embarrassed- this has nothing to do with Obama.

It has to do with a horrible teacher, a stubborn teenager and fired up parents.

Quoting OneToughMami:

I'm sorry but when does a teacher have the right to make even a joke like that to a student? If you have ever taken an edu class in your life I am surprised you passed...no teacher in PA has the right to say such shit to a student! It's vile and as an Obama supporter I am embarrassed!

Quoting Rbrown72707:

I totally think they are racist.  I don't think the teacher was accusing the student of being racist.  I believe it was just a joke.  However, the true definition of bigot is a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creedbelief, or opinion.  Right now, that is you.  So,  good night!

Quoting Billiebeth:

Oh. The Klan members don't want to justify their racism. I am truly sorry you are such a bigot.

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting Billiebeth:

Oh. It is so wonderful that you proudly admit your Klan robes aren't about being racist. Good job with pretending not to be a bigot!

Quoting Rbrown72707:

She didn't.  

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quote:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Billiebeth
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM
The fact you can't see why for a President Obama supporter is terrible. Just awful.

Quoting Sisteract:

Being an educator I could see how you might be embarrassed- this has nothing to do with Obama.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting Billiebeth:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting Billiebeth:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

She didn't.  

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quote:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

How did Obama initiate, faciliate or escalate this situation?

The man just being who he is...he can NOT control his genetics.

Please.

Your reply here reflects on your issues.

The teacher was a jerk-

The kid was a brat, period.

Quoting Billiebeth:

The fact you can't see why for a President Obama supporter is terrible. Just awful.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting Billiebeth:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting Billiebeth:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

She didn't.  

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quote:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Yea, I doubt the student was as embarrassed as she says... She's 16, kids exaggerate. (Not to mention the media exaggerates) Though the teacher shouldn't have said diddly to her about the shirt, joke or not.

The parents spoke to the school, solved the problem, then went to the media? Sounds like a nice way to get on tv, at the expense. Of their daughter. How sad. Parent fail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yep

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Yea, I doubt the student was as embarrassed as she says... She's 16, kids exaggerate. (Not to mention the media exaggerates) Though the teacher shouldn't have said diddly to her about the shirt, joke or not.

The parents spoke to the school, solved the problem, then went to the media? Sounds like a nice way to get on tv, at the expense. Of their daughter. How sad. Parent fail.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)