Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pa student who wore Romney shirt: Teacher 'told me to get out of the classroom"

Posted by   + Show Post

Pa. student who wore Romney shirt: Teacher 'told me to get out of the classroom'

A Pennsylvania high school student was told to "get out" of a classroom for wearing a Romney T-shirt. She claims her teacher likened the garment to the KKK. WCAU's Claudia Rivero reports.

By Dan Stamm and Claudia Rivero, NBCPhiladelphia.com

A Philadelphia high schooler says she was humiliated after her teacher told her to remove a Mitt Romney T-shirt she was wearing, comparing it to "wearing a KKK shirt."

Samantha Pawlucy, a 16-year-old sophomore at Charles Carroll High School in the Port Richmond section of the city, says she wore a pink Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan T-shirt last Friday during the school's dress-down day.

No one made an issue of Samantha's political T-shirt until she got to geometry class.

"The teacher told me to get out of the classroom, I said no," Samantha said.

"She told me to take off my shirt and said that she has another one if I need one. And then the teacher asked me... 'Are your parents Republican?' I said, 'I don't know.' She said that's like her wearing a KKK shirt."

Samantha was so embarrassed by the public criticism in front of her classmates that she told her parents she didn't want to return to school.

"I didn't know what to think, I didn't think it was right at all."

They requested a meeting with the principal and the teacher. The teacher apologized to Samantha and her parents saying that the statement was meant as a joke.

"It was funny to her, but I was really embarrassed," Samantha said.

"If it was a joke between two adults, I can take a joke like that but (my daughter) didn't know how to take it. She doesn't understand, she actually thinks she did something wrong," her father, Richard Pawlucy, said.

"I can just picture her sitting there, feeling ashamed for just wearing a T-shirt," said her mother, Christine Pawlucy. "That someone could spin that and throw it back on a 16-year-old child and make her feel so terrible."

A spokesperson for the Philadelphia School District told NBCPhiladelphia.com that the teacher was transferred to another classroom as the district investigates the incident.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Replies (121-130):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I would've expected my child to say "no" if told to remove a shirt such as that. It has no profanity, no "hate" message, or even a religious reference. She'd also call me and I'd be at the school confronting that teacher in minutes.

Quoting Sisteract:

I think most understand that and agree that the teacher was out of line.

However, a student telling a teacher, "No" is wrong too.  In 1974 that would have gotten this 16 year old thrown out of Catholic School.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Well a huge problem is as a teacher she cannot say things like that to students! Why is that so hard for people to get?

Quoting smurfbitebug:

While it may have been an inappropriate thing for a TEACHER to say.. it was just a joke. Seriously. The kid is in high school, she should know how to take a joke by now. College is around the corner. Is she going to stay home every time someone cracks a crude joke?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

MM-HMM. I know.

Yet I wasn't concentrating on that in my comment. I chose to speak about the glaring issue with the sixteen year old young woman pitching a bitch fit. Seems like the teacher's already been thoroughly covered in other comments. No? Not enough? Feel free to continue, then.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Okay that still doesn't mean you are understanding. Joke or no joke...a teacher is not allowed to show political preferences in a classroom. Depending on her school or district she may have breached her contract. Joke or not she should have kept it to herself.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Maybe you overlooked my very first sentence. Feel free to read that now.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Well a huge problem is as a teacher she cannot say things like that to students! Why is that so hard for people to get?

Quoting smurfbitebug:

While it may have been an inappropriate thing for a TEACHER to say.. it was just a joke. Seriously. The kid is in high school, she should know how to take a joke by now. College is around the corner. Is she going to stay home every time someone cracks a crude joke?

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I believe the teachers actions went beyond discussion and criticism.

Quoting radioheid:

If you can't handle discussion and possibly criticism, what is the point of wearing a political t-shirt? I just bought a Gary Johnson t-shirt, and I *KNOW* the comments are a-comin'. That comes with the territory of politics. And this is precisely why 16-year olds cant vote.

OneToughMami
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:57 PM
You comment seemed to be bypassing the fact that both were wrong but the adult was more wrong. The student I am sure could have been handled better in a more professional way. All over a tshirt...maybe she could have turned it inside out or taken it off but there really was no harm.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

MM-HMM. I know.

Yet I wasn't concentrating on that in my comment. I chose to speak about the glaring issue with the sixteen year old young woman pitching a bitch fit. Seems like the teacher's already been thoroughly covered in other comments. No? Not enough? Feel free to continue, then.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Okay that still doesn't mean you are understanding. Joke or no joke...a teacher is not allowed to show political preferences in a classroom. Depending on her school or district she may have breached her contract. Joke or not she should have kept it to herself.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM
They breached her professionalism.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting radioheid:

If you can't handle discussion and possibly criticism, what is the point of wearing a political t-shirt? I just bought a Gary Johnson t-shirt, and I *KNOW* the comments are a-comin'. That comes with the territory of politics. And this is precisely why 16-year olds cant vote.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah,the teacher would have huge problems, as would the school, and school district, if she decided to take a marker to my child's shirt and destroy something that I paid for...

Quoting tooptimistic:

Home » Top Stories » Teacher Compares Student's Romney Shirt to KKK Robe

Teacher Compares Student's Romney Shirt to KKK Robe

Teacher Compares Student's Romney Shirt to KKK Robe

Oct 3, 2012

By Todd Starnes

A Philadelphia high school teacher is under investigation after she reportedly ordered a student to take off a t-shirt supporting Mitt Romney's presidential campaign and compared the shirt to a Ku Klux Klan sheet.

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR STORIES. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

The incident occurred at Charles Carroll High School in Port Richmond. When the student refused the order, she tried to throw the girl out of class.

The teacher reportedly told the 16-year-old student that the high school was a "Democratic school" and then threatened to use a marker to cross out Romney's name.

Philadelphia School District spokesman Fernando Gallard confirmed to Philly.com that, "a teacher made some comments to a student wearing a Romney t-shirt in their classroom."

"The comments were of a political nature, and also of a personal nature," he told the newspaper. "We are looking into the comments, and the conduct of the teacher."

Gallard said the student was well within her rights to wear the t-shirt and was not in violation of any school dress codes.

In the meantime, the teacher was switched out of the class "to allow the student to feel comfortable to come to the class."

Gallard said the student was within her rights.

"She was expressing her freedom of speech, and was not in violation of any school or district policy," he told the newspaper.

The incident became public when the child's father called radio station IQ 106.9 FM.

Richard Pawlucy told radio host Larry Mendte that the incident happened on a day when students were allowed to "dress down."

He recounted what his daughter's Geometry teacher told the girl.

"Are you seriously wearing a Romney shirt - and then she told her to get out," Pawlucy told the radio station. "My daughter took it as a joke. But the teacher left the room and called other teachers and students into her classroom."

She said the teacher pointed at his daughter and said, "Look at this girl - wearing a Romney shirt."

"My daughter refused to leave the classroom or acknowledge this bullying," he said.

That's when the teacher compared the Romney shirt to a KKK garb and told her, "This is a Democratic school."

"I never knew a school had a party affiliation," he said.

When his daughter went back to class she hid in the bathroom until the teacher left. He said other students were taunting her.

"Her classmates were telling her -‘how can you do this to our teacher?'" he recounted. "Why don't you like Obama? We all like Obama - why don't you like Obama?"

Mendte was astounded by the incident - especially since it happened in the city where they signed the U.S. Constitution.

"A child shouldn't be bullied going into a classroom just because she's politically aware - just because she has an opinion and just because she happens to support a candidate that you do not support," Mendte said.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Exactly and how do you expect teenagers to act when you are acting unprofessional as well.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting radioheid:

OneToughMami
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Modeling...teachers at all times are supposed to model appropriate behavior. It is a shame when fellow educators choose to behave inappropriately. Stupid 16 year old bitching is going to happen but teachers at the secondary level had enough time to figure out classroom management in the proper way

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Exactly and how do you expect teenagers to act when you are acting unprofessional as well.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting radioheid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM

On the contrary, I didn't "bypass" anything. The teacher's wrongful behavior is included in my first comment. Again- very first sentence. Just because I didn't harp on it like you would CLEARLY prefer I did, it doesn't mean I don't fully understand that she shouldn't have taken it to the level that she did.

That being said, this last comment of yours is a little hypocritical. Seeing as you would clearly have preferred me "bypass" pointing out that the young woman's behavior was also out of line. You have to admit that you jumped on me pretty quick, acting like I'm on the teacher's "side". When in reality, I am on neither "side".

Quoting OneToughMami:

You comment seemed to be bypassing the fact that both were wrong but the adult was more wrong. The student I am sure could have been handled better in a more professional way. All over a tshirt...maybe she could have turned it inside out or taken it off but there really was no harm.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

MM-HMM. I know.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting smurfbitebug:

OneToughMami
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM
What's hypocritical about saying the girl could have just turned the shirt around? I'm not on the girl's side in this because she acted like a snotty little teenager but I'm not at all on the teachers side either because she preached her professionalism and contract. While they are both wrong I as an educator am allowed to believe the educator is more wrong. I never once said anyone should bypass the girl's behavior just that people need to understand why the teacher was much more out of line.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

On the contrary, I didn't "bypass" anything. The teacher's wrongful behavior is included in my first comment. Again- very first sentence. Just because I didn't harp on it like you would CLEARLY prefer I did, it doesn't mean I don't fully understand that she shouldn't have taken it to the level that she did.

That being said, this last comment of yours is a little hypocritical. Seeing as you would clearly have preferred me "bypass" pointing out that the young woman's behavior was also out of line. You have to admit that you jumped on me pretty quick, acting like I'm on the teacher's "side". When in reality, I am on neither "side".

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting smurfbitebug:

MM-HMM. I know.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)