Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pa student who wore Romney shirt: Teacher 'told me to get out of the classroom"

Posted by   + Show Post

Pa. student who wore Romney shirt: Teacher 'told me to get out of the classroom'

A Pennsylvania high school student was told to "get out" of a classroom for wearing a Romney T-shirt. She claims her teacher likened the garment to the KKK. WCAU's Claudia Rivero reports.

By Dan Stamm and Claudia Rivero, NBCPhiladelphia.com

A Philadelphia high schooler says she was humiliated after her teacher told her to remove a Mitt Romney T-shirt she was wearing, comparing it to "wearing a KKK shirt."

Samantha Pawlucy, a 16-year-old sophomore at Charles Carroll High School in the Port Richmond section of the city, says she wore a pink Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan T-shirt last Friday during the school's dress-down day.

No one made an issue of Samantha's political T-shirt until she got to geometry class.

"The teacher told me to get out of the classroom, I said no," Samantha said.

"She told me to take off my shirt and said that she has another one if I need one. And then the teacher asked me... 'Are your parents Republican?' I said, 'I don't know.' She said that's like her wearing a KKK shirt."

Samantha was so embarrassed by the public criticism in front of her classmates that she told her parents she didn't want to return to school.

"I didn't know what to think, I didn't think it was right at all."

They requested a meeting with the principal and the teacher. The teacher apologized to Samantha and her parents saying that the statement was meant as a joke.

"It was funny to her, but I was really embarrassed," Samantha said.

"If it was a joke between two adults, I can take a joke like that but (my daughter) didn't know how to take it. She doesn't understand, she actually thinks she did something wrong," her father, Richard Pawlucy, said.

"I can just picture her sitting there, feeling ashamed for just wearing a T-shirt," said her mother, Christine Pawlucy. "That someone could spin that and throw it back on a 16-year-old child and make her feel so terrible."

A spokesperson for the Philadelphia School District told NBCPhiladelphia.com that the teacher was transferred to another classroom as the district investigates the incident.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Replies (141-150):
OneToughMami
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM
I'm not calling you a dumbass. You said it was my opinion, when it's not, it's really how it works.

I understand the pictures. I find it rather odd that I never insulted you but pointed out fact that you insist is my opinion but seem to be hinting I'm dumb and need you explaining fairly old memes.

You honestly did not seem to understand that while you did not think she was more wrong, districts in PA definitely do. Teachers here have been suspended and termed over much less. Districts here are not beneath googling an applicants name and seeing what comes up. Most other teachers I know have their facebooks and social media under other names because you never know when even a seemingly innocent comment will be you job. Or liking a page on Facebook or even a group on here. It's ridiculous but PA seems to expect teachers to not have opinions unless they are the opinions of the district. Hell I had a professor with a friend who was threatened firing because she was not married.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

You do realize that the amount of time spent on a comment does not directly imply a mood behind it, right? In fact, the pictures themselves should suggest that I think it's humorous..which I do. But please, don't make me explain pictures to you, too. That's just sad.

I have never once disagreed that she shouldn't face consequences for her actions. In fact, if it warrants termination, she should be fired. I really don't understand why you STILL think I'm against the teacher paying the consequences for her actions. Oh wait, I do. You are still assuming I'm a dumbass. Tricky territory, there. You may be right about someone..but then again, you may be wrong, and end up looking like a dumbass yourself.

Quoting OneToughMami:

For someone who's not mad you sure spent a lot of time on this *shrug*

And it's not my opinion that the teacher can't do what she did. In Pennsylvania, she could be fired *shrug* soooo hey it's her job not mine...if she wants to be fired over a tshirt and a very poor joke then welp jokes on her?

Quoting smurfbitebug:

That just isn't true. I told you time and again that the teacher was wrong for her actions, and reminded you time and again that it was my first sentence in my original comment. You continued to quote me, and you said, (and I quote) "that still doesn't mean you are understanding". I told you in no uncertain terms that I did understand. You continued to say that my "comment seemed to be bypassing the "fact" (your opinion) that the student was wrong but the teacher was more wrong".

I didn't take this personally. Am I all pissy? No. Slightly annoyed, but not pissy. I don't tend to take it personally when a lady on CM is so in love with her own opinion she won't take no for an answer.

So, because in this post you clearly have a hard time understanding what I say, I wasn't like this:

I was much more like this:

And this is you:

aaaaand this is how I am now:

Quoting OneToughMami:

You have seriously taken this too far. That's not what I was doing. But hey if that's what you want to think go for it. You took this personal for no reason to be honest. I quoted you and used a general you because it seemed everyone was one sides either teacher or student...and seemed to all be bypassing the fact that the teacher was more inappropriate.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

If you believe in your opinions so strongly that you have to attempt to shove them down the throats of other people, I suggest you not conclude with "*eyeroll*". It's weak. Especially coming from an educator.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Yup exactly all of that...*eyeroll*

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Right. And you assumed I didn't understand why the teacher was out of line...why?

Oh, that's right. You wanted me to say "They were both wrong but the teacher, that bitch was way more wrong." And if I said it in any other way, we would be having....this..lovely conversation.

Well, I don't happen to think the teacher was "way more wrong". I think they were both equally wrong. The teacher was in charge of that classroom, which means she was in charge of that young lady at that moment, and the student should have complied with the teacher's wishes. If she didn't feel it was appropriate to do so, she should have handled it with a lot more respect than she did. What's more, she decided to go home and act like her life was just ruined by that hateful whore of a teacher she has (Even though the teacher was just out of line with a joke. Which was wrong, and she should face the consequences of that- but it was nowhere near what the student acted like it was) and curl up and refuse to go to school the next day. Oh, her life was just OVER, wasn't it? There's no way a 16 year old young woman should still be getting away with acting like that. She can drive, she can own a car, college is right around the corner. She should be acting more like an adult and less like a bratty twelve year old. The young woman should be facing the consequences for that, but instead all of these adults are going to willingly and joyfully carry on like she's some kind of victim and enable that behavior all the way.

SO, maybe THAT is what people need to understand a little bit more clearly.

And "you, as an educator" can disagree with me. That is fine. But please stop trying to beat your opinion into my head when I clearly don't agree for sound reasons, even though you just assume people are dumbasses.

Quoting OneToughMami:

What's hypocritical about saying the girl could have just turned the shirt around? I'm not on the girl's side in this because she acted like a snotty little teenager but I'm not at all on the teachers side either because she preached her professionalism and contract. While they are both wrong I as an educator am allowed to believe the educator is more wrong. I never once said anyone should bypass the girl's behavior just that people need to understand why the teacher was much more out of line.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

On the contrary, I didn't "bypass" anything. The teacher's wrongful behavior is included in my first comment. Again- very first sentence. Just because I didn't harp on it like you would CLEARLY prefer I did, it doesn't mean I don't fully understand that she shouldn't have taken it to the level that she did.

That being said, this last comment of yours is a little hypocritical. Seeing as you would clearly have preferred me "bypass" pointing out that the young woman's behavior was also out of line. You have to admit that you jumped on me pretty quick, acting like I'm on the teacher's "side". When in reality, I am on neither "side".

Quoting OneToughMami:

You comment seemed to be bypassing the fact that both were wrong but the adult was more wrong. The student I am sure could have been handled better in a more professional way. All over a tshirt...maybe she could have turned it inside out or taken it off but there really was no harm.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

MM-HMM. I know.

Yet I wasn't concentrating on that in my comment. I chose to speak about the glaring issue with the sixteen year old young woman pitching a bitch fit. Seems like the teacher's already been thoroughly covered in other comments. No? Not enough? Feel free to continue, then.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Okay that still doesn't mean you are understanding. Joke or no joke...a teacher is not allowed to show political preferences in a classroom. Depending on her school or district she may have breached her contract. Joke or not she should have kept it to herself.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Maybe you overlooked my very first sentence. Feel free to read that now.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Well a huge problem is as a teacher she cannot say things like that to students! Why is that so hard for people to get?

Quoting smurfbitebug:

While it may have been an inappropriate thing for a TEACHER to say.. it was just a joke. Seriously. The kid is in high school, she should know how to take a joke by now. College is around the corner. Is she going to stay home every time someone cracks a crude joke?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Seriously. Listen to what I am saying. The teacher was wrong. It may very well be a firing offense. If so, she should be fired. Period.

That, in MY opinion, doesn't make her any more wrong than the student. Who should face consequences of her own for her blatant disrespect and acting beneath her age.

They were both wrong. Wrong is wrong, lady. There is no "more wrong" or "less wrong". Hell, if the young lady COULD get fired from being a sixteen year old young lady and get demoted back to year twelve, then that should be her consequence for her actions. But that can't happen. Therefore she should have different consequences. But she was still wrong.

Do people have a higher expectation, a higher standard, for teachers? Yes. Does that mean that we should have lower expectations for our sixteen year olds? No. We should hold them to a high standard and teach them to, expect them to, live up to it.

Quoting OneToughMami:

I'm not calling you a dumbass. You said it was my opinion, when it's not, it's really how it works.

I understand the pictures. I find it rather odd that I never insulted you but pointed out fact that you insist is my opinion but seem to be hinting I'm dumb and need you explaining fairly old memes.

You honestly did not seem to understand that while you did not think she was more wrong, districts in PA definitely do. Teachers here have been suspended and termed over much less. Districts here are not beneath googling an applicants name and seeing what comes up. Most other teachers I know have their facebooks and social media under other names because you never know when even a seemingly innocent comment will be you job. Or liking a page on Facebook or even a group on here. It's ridiculous but PA seems to expect teachers to not have opinions unless they are the opinions of the district. Hell I had a professor with a friend who was threatened firing because she was not married.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

You do realize that the amount of time spent on a comment does not directly imply a mood behind it, right? In fact, the pictures themselves should suggest that I think it's humorous..which I do. But please, don't make me explain pictures to you, too. That's just sad.

I have never once disagreed that she shouldn't face consequences for her actions. In fact, if it warrants termination, she should be fired. I really don't understand why you STILL think I'm against the teacher paying the consequences for her actions. Oh wait, I do. You are still assuming I'm a dumbass. Tricky territory, there. You may be right about someone..but then again, you may be wrong, and end up looking like a dumbass yourself.

Quoting OneToughMami:

For someone who's not mad you sure spent a lot of time on this *shrug*

And it's not my opinion that the teacher can't do what she did. In Pennsylvania, she could be fired *shrug* soooo hey it's her job not mine...if she wants to be fired over a tshirt and a very poor joke then welp jokes on her?

Quoting smurfbitebug:

That just isn't true. I told you time and again that the teacher was wrong for her actions, and reminded you time and again that it was my first sentence in my original comment. You continued to quote me, and you said, (and I quote) "that still doesn't mean you are understanding". I told you in no uncertain terms that I did understand. You continued to say that my "comment seemed to be bypassing the "fact" (your opinion) that the student was wrong but the teacher was more wrong".

I didn't take this personally. Am I all pissy? No. Slightly annoyed, but not pissy. I don't tend to take it personally when a lady on CM is so in love with her own opinion she won't take no for an answer.

So, because in this post you clearly have a hard time understanding what I say, I wasn't like this:

I was much more like this:

And this is you:

aaaaand this is how I am now:

Quoting OneToughMami:

You have seriously taken this too far. That's not what I was doing. But hey if that's what you want to think go for it. You took this personal for no reason to be honest. I quoted you and used a general you because it seemed everyone was one sides either teacher or student...and seemed to all be bypassing the fact that the teacher was more inappropriate.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

If you believe in your opinions so strongly that you have to attempt to shove them down the throats of other people, I suggest you not conclude with "*eyeroll*". It's weak. Especially coming from an educator.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Yup exactly all of that...*eyeroll*

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Right. And you assumed I didn't understand why the teacher was out of line...why?

Oh, that's right. You wanted me to say "They were both wrong but the teacher, that bitch was way more wrong." And if I said it in any other way, we would be having....this..lovely conversation.

Well, I don't happen to think the teacher was "way more wrong". I think they were both equally wrong. The teacher was in charge of that classroom, which means she was in charge of that young lady at that moment, and the student should have complied with the teacher's wishes. If she didn't feel it was appropriate to do so, she should have handled it with a lot more respect than she did. What's more, she decided to go home and act like her life was just ruined by that hateful whore of a teacher she has (Even though the teacher was just out of line with a joke. Which was wrong, and she should face the consequences of that- but it was nowhere near what the student acted like it was) and curl up and refuse to go to school the next day. Oh, her life was just OVER, wasn't it? There's no way a 16 year old young woman should still be getting away with acting like that. She can drive, she can own a car, college is right around the corner. She should be acting more like an adult and less like a bratty twelve year old. The young woman should be facing the consequences for that, but instead all of these adults are going to willingly and joyfully carry on like she's some kind of victim and enable that behavior all the way.

SO, maybe THAT is what people need to understand a little bit more clearly.

And "you, as an educator" can disagree with me. That is fine. But please stop trying to beat your opinion into my head when I clearly don't agree for sound reasons, even though you just assume people are dumbasses.

Quoting OneToughMami:

What's hypocritical about saying the girl could have just turned the shirt around? I'm not on the girl's side in this because she acted like a snotty little teenager but I'm not at all on the teachers side either because she preached her professionalism and contract. While they are both wrong I as an educator am allowed to believe the educator is more wrong. I never once said anyone should bypass the girl's behavior just that people need to understand why the teacher was much more out of line.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

On the contrary, I didn't "bypass" anything. The teacher's wrongful behavior is included in my first comment. Again- very first sentence. Just because I didn't harp on it like you would CLEARLY prefer I did, it doesn't mean I don't fully understand that she shouldn't have taken it to the level that she did.

That being said, this last comment of yours is a little hypocritical. Seeing as you would clearly have preferred me "bypass" pointing out that the young woman's behavior was also out of line. You have to admit that you jumped on me pretty quick, acting like I'm on the teacher's "side". When in reality, I am on neither "side".

Quoting OneToughMami:

You comment seemed to be bypassing the fact that both were wrong but the adult was more wrong. The student I am sure could have been handled better in a more professional way. All over a tshirt...maybe she could have turned it inside out or taken it off but there really was no harm.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

MM-HMM. I know.

Yet I wasn't concentrating on that in my comment. I chose to speak about the glaring issue with the sixteen year old young woman pitching a bitch fit. Seems like the teacher's already been thoroughly covered in other comments. No? Not enough? Feel free to continue, then.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Okay that still doesn't mean you are understanding. Joke or no joke...a teacher is not allowed to show political preferences in a classroom. Depending on her school or district she may have breached her contract. Joke or not she should have kept it to herself.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Maybe you overlooked my very first sentence. Feel free to read that now.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Well a huge problem is as a teacher she cannot say things like that to students! Why is that so hard for people to get?

Quoting smurfbitebug:

While it may have been an inappropriate thing for a TEACHER to say.. it was just a joke. Seriously. The kid is in high school, she should know how to take a joke by now. College is around the corner. Is she going to stay home every time someone cracks a crude joke?

Joqui
by Joqui on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM

yea teacher was wrong on this one...

Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Quoting Ms.KitKat:

It doesn't matter the school said that the teacher did make a comment that was political and personal about the girls shirt which wasn't against school dress code..
The fact of the matter that the teacher did take it to a personal level was wrong even if the CHILd was a brat about it or not.
kajalpakm2012
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM

If the teacher would have starting laughing and say something to let the girl know it was a joke, that would have been fine. But it looks like she did nothing like that, and a teacher needs to be respectful of her students.

candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM

She had every right to tell the teacher no when she had done nothing wrong.  Good for her for standing up to the teacher.  She did nothing wrong.

Quoting Sisteract:

While I think the teacher was wrong, the teacher is in charge of the classroom and the student telling the teacher, "No" was also wrong.

2 wrongs, neither right.

candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:29 AM

It was not disrespectful.   The teacher was trying to overstep her authority and she called her on it.

Quoting Billiebeth:

Refusing to be kicked out of class for no wrong is not disrespectful. The teacher is solely wrong here for not being able to handle seeing a different political view. And she made it even worse by the klan comment.

Quoting Sisteract:

Sorry, student do not have the right to disrespect the teacher's authority.

Too many "kids" think that they are always in charge, even when they are not.

The kind of behavior exhibited by the student would not have been tolerated for 5 seconds at any school that either me or my kids attended.

candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

of course she said it was a joke after she got found out.  Do you think she would admit she did the wrong thing?

Quoting Rbrown72707:

I don't see it that way.  I think she was just joking and the child took it too seriously.    I'd tell my daughter to ignore it.  

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Is that what the teacher said?  I must have misread the article.  I thought it was about a Romney shirt!  Hmm....Rereading.

The teacher pretty much called the student a racist for wearing a Romney shirt. She said it was like wearing a KKK shirt. I wouldn't tolerate a teacher calling my child a racist because she was wearing a presidential candidate tshirt.

Conservative Republicans     

Where Smart Moms Hang Out

SuperChicken
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

The teachers comments and behavior were appalling.  I applaud the girl for saying NO.   The teacher lost her authority the second she stepped out of bounds and demanded the child remove her shirt solely because she didn't like it, not because it was against school policy.  Teachers do NOT have the right to demand students remove clothing just because they don't like it.  That isn't how it works.   My son will not be taught to follow any and all demands someone makes just because they are in an "authority" position as a teacher. People in authority positions are responsible for maintaining that position through their OWN actions.     When they step out of their authority by demanding things that are wrong, they lose any expectation of respect for their position and become nothing but a bully.   And an adult bullying a child/teen?  Disgusting.

I'm quite stunned at some of the people supporting the teacher in this and saying the child was wrong for refusing unreasonable demands or for feeling embarrassed for being called a racist in front of her class and other teachers called into the room.  

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I think it would be a bigger issue if the teacher bullied a student wearing an Obama shirt.

Quoting SuperChicken:

The teachers comments and behavior were appalling.  I applaud the girl for saying NO.   The teacher lost her authority the second she stepped out of bounds and demanded the child remove her shirt solely because she didn't like it, not because it was against school policy.  Teachers do NOT have the right to demand students remove clothing just because they don't like it.  That isn't how it works.   My son will not be taught to follow any and all demands someone makes just because they are in an "authority" position as a teacher. People in authority positions are responsible for maintaining that position through their OWN actions.     When they step out of their authority by demanding things that are wrong, they lose any expectation of respect for their position and become nothing but a bully.   And an adult bullying a child/teen?  Disgusting.

I'm quite stunned at some of the people supporting the teacher in this and saying the child was wrong for refusing unreasonable demands or for feeling embarrassed for being called a racist in front of her class and other teachers called into the room.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN