Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pa student who wore Romney shirt: Teacher 'told me to get out of the classroom"

Posted by   + Show Post

Pa. student who wore Romney shirt: Teacher 'told me to get out of the classroom'

A Pennsylvania high school student was told to "get out" of a classroom for wearing a Romney T-shirt. She claims her teacher likened the garment to the KKK. WCAU's Claudia Rivero reports.

By Dan Stamm and Claudia Rivero, NBCPhiladelphia.com

A Philadelphia high schooler says she was humiliated after her teacher told her to remove a Mitt Romney T-shirt she was wearing, comparing it to "wearing a KKK shirt."

Samantha Pawlucy, a 16-year-old sophomore at Charles Carroll High School in the Port Richmond section of the city, says she wore a pink Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan T-shirt last Friday during the school's dress-down day.

No one made an issue of Samantha's political T-shirt until she got to geometry class.

"The teacher told me to get out of the classroom, I said no," Samantha said.

"She told me to take off my shirt and said that she has another one if I need one. And then the teacher asked me... 'Are your parents Republican?' I said, 'I don't know.' She said that's like her wearing a KKK shirt."

Samantha was so embarrassed by the public criticism in front of her classmates that she told her parents she didn't want to return to school.

"I didn't know what to think, I didn't think it was right at all."

They requested a meeting with the principal and the teacher. The teacher apologized to Samantha and her parents saying that the statement was meant as a joke.

"It was funny to her, but I was really embarrassed," Samantha said.

"If it was a joke between two adults, I can take a joke like that but (my daughter) didn't know how to take it. She doesn't understand, she actually thinks she did something wrong," her father, Richard Pawlucy, said.

"I can just picture her sitting there, feeling ashamed for just wearing a T-shirt," said her mother, Christine Pawlucy. "That someone could spin that and throw it back on a 16-year-old child and make her feel so terrible."

A spokesperson for the Philadelphia School District told NBCPhiladelphia.com that the teacher was transferred to another classroom as the district investigates the incident.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, student do not have the right to disrespect the teacher's authority.

Too many "kids" think that they are always in charge, even when they are not.

The kind of behavior exhibited by the student would not have been tolerated for 5 seconds at any school that either me or my kids attended.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting Billiebeth:

What a crappy teacher. And so many are just going to ignore the fact she humiliated a child in front of her classmates.

this.. that was a shitty thing for her to do, regardless of political standings

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Billiebeth
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Refusing to be kicked out of class for no wrong is not disrespectful. The teacher is solely wrong here for not being able to handle seeing a different political view. And she made it even worse by the klan comment.

Quoting Sisteract:

The kind of behavior exhibited by the student would not have been tolerated for 5 seconds at any school that either me or my kids attended.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Both the teacher and the student were wrong (as I said in my first post).

Quoting Billiebeth: 

Refusing to be kicked out of class for no wrong is not disrespectful. The teacher is solely wrong here for not being able to handle seeing a different political view. And she made it even worse by the klan comment.

Quoting Sisteract:

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
Billiebeth
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM
2 moms liked this
The student is not wrong. She did nothing except refuse to leave class when she had done nothing against school rules.

Quoting Sisteract:

Both the teacher and the student were wrong (as I said in my first post).

Quoting Billiebeth: 

Quoting Sisteract:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Would your teacher have been allowed to say they going to take a black marker to your shirt, make you change your shirt if your shirt was not against the dress code. Or say in front of the class that the shirt was like wearing a KKK robe?  The teacher pretty much accused the student in front of the class she was a racist.  I think the student was right to say no.  I don't think the teacher would have said the same thing over an Obama shirt.

The teacher didn't have the athority to say anything about the students shirt or demand to know what political party her parents were.

Quoting Sisteract:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

The teacher should have given the student 2 options: change the shirt, if it was against the protocol/dress code for the day, or go to the office. Student refuses, consequences applied- End O story- for that class anyway.

No wonder no one learns anything with all the BS that goes on and is tolerated-

Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Pul-lease- the kid was probably being an ass-much. and this tripe gets in the news.

My ds wears his Romney t for the past year now (much to my dismay) but meh- it's his own money he's wasting (and thank God he can't vote yet LOL).

But one choses to wear a garmet that has a message displayed, one must expect comments. otherwise, why wear it? And if the kid is not mature enough to handle it, then she needs to stop wearing it. Granted, the tecaher went overboard with the KKK comment but it seems like it was all in fun and the kid took it the wrong way. I tell ds to be prepared to take the flack when he wears his t.

Really so because this teacher was an ass it must be the girls fault.
The teacher should have been worried about her lesson for the day, not what one of her students was wearing. I can see if she was revealing some skin or body part are was wearing something that was against school dress code but she wasn't.
What the teacher did was uncalled for and should have never been done in the first place.
Gracesgma
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Stuff like this is why our public schools don't allow students to wear T-shirts that are political or have offensive language and why many parents opt to send their children to public schools who require uniforms.  I am a retired teacher. It's attitudes like the teacher that made my husband and I send our grandchildren to parochial schools.

ilovemy3boys
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I want to say the child should of  listened to the teacher, but in the same in sense why is it ok for this teacher to tell a child  that he/she has to remove a shirt that is ot agianst any violation of the school dress code? Its not ok for the teacher to make her change her shirt. Nor is it ok for the teacher to disrespect the student the way she did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)