Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pa student who wore Romney shirt: Teacher 'told me to get out of the classroom"

Posted by   + Show Post

Pa. student who wore Romney shirt: Teacher 'told me to get out of the classroom'

A Pennsylvania high school student was told to "get out" of a classroom for wearing a Romney T-shirt. She claims her teacher likened the garment to the KKK. WCAU's Claudia Rivero reports.

By Dan Stamm and Claudia Rivero, NBCPhiladelphia.com

A Philadelphia high schooler says she was humiliated after her teacher told her to remove a Mitt Romney T-shirt she was wearing, comparing it to "wearing a KKK shirt."

Samantha Pawlucy, a 16-year-old sophomore at Charles Carroll High School in the Port Richmond section of the city, says she wore a pink Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan T-shirt last Friday during the school's dress-down day.

No one made an issue of Samantha's political T-shirt until she got to geometry class.

"The teacher told me to get out of the classroom, I said no," Samantha said.

"She told me to take off my shirt and said that she has another one if I need one. And then the teacher asked me... 'Are your parents Republican?' I said, 'I don't know.' She said that's like her wearing a KKK shirt."

Samantha was so embarrassed by the public criticism in front of her classmates that she told her parents she didn't want to return to school.

"I didn't know what to think, I didn't think it was right at all."

They requested a meeting with the principal and the teacher. The teacher apologized to Samantha and her parents saying that the statement was meant as a joke.

"It was funny to her, but I was really embarrassed," Samantha said.

"If it was a joke between two adults, I can take a joke like that but (my daughter) didn't know how to take it. She doesn't understand, she actually thinks she did something wrong," her father, Richard Pawlucy, said.

"I can just picture her sitting there, feeling ashamed for just wearing a T-shirt," said her mother, Christine Pawlucy. "That someone could spin that and throw it back on a 16-year-old child and make her feel so terrible."

A spokesperson for the Philadelphia School District told NBCPhiladelphia.com that the teacher was transferred to another classroom as the district investigates the incident.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
Billiebeth
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Would you be okay with a teacher "joking" your daughter is a whore or your son a date rapist in front of their class?

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Wow!  This kid is a big softy and can't take a joke!  Even my 3rd graders understand the difference between a joke when they wear sports shirts.  If she's that sensitive, she has a rough road ahead of her!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rbrown72707
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Is that what the teacher said?  I must have misread the article.  I thought it was about a Romney shirt!  Hmm....Rereading.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Is that what the teacher said?  I must have misread the article.  I thought it was about a Romney shirt!  Hmm....Rereading.

The teacher pretty much called the student a racist for wearing a Romney shirt. She said it was like wearing a KKK shirt. I wouldn't tolerate a teacher calling my child a racist because she was wearing a presidential candidate tshirt.

HaleyCovington
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM

The teacher is wrong. The girl was complying with the dress code and the teacher comparing it to the KKK is not a joke! At least I don't find it funny. Sounds like the teacher was just trying to back peddle to make it seem not so bad. The teacher had no right to ask her to leave for not having the same politacal beliefs as her. 

Rbrown72707
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see it that way.  I think she was just joking and the child took it too seriously.    I'd tell my daughter to ignore it.  

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

The teacher pretty much called the student a racist for wearing a Romney shirt. She said it was like wearing a KKK shirt. I wouldn't tolerate a teacher calling my child a racist because she was wearing a presidential candidate tshirt.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM

You are only hearing 1 side. The poor teenager. I wonder if we knew the rest of the story. The other side. I have found that there are always 3 sides to a story. His side, her side and then the truth. I have already stated, the kkk comment was uncalled for. However,  I do find that parents of perfect children tend to over-react.

Quoting Jacqalyn:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Pul-lease- the kid was probably being an ass-much. and this tripe gets in the news.

My ds wears his Romney t for the past year now (much to my dismay) but meh- it's his own money he's wasting (and thank God he can't vote yet LOL).

But one choses to wear a garmet that has a message displayed, one must expect comments. otherwise, why wear it? And if the kid is not mature enough to handle it, then she needs to stop wearing it. Granted, the tecaher went overboard with the KKK comment but it seems like it was all in fun and the kid took it the wrong way. I tell ds to be prepared to take the flack when he wears his t.

Really so because this teacher was an ass it must be the girls fault.
The teacher should have been worried about her lesson for the day, not what one of her students was wearing. I can see if she was revealing some skin or body part are was wearing something that was against school dress code but she wasn't.
What the teacher did was uncalled for and should have never been done in the first place.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

AMEN-

And then complain ad nauseum about all the entitled, perfect snowflakes wondering the planet!!!!! I guess those are other parents' snowflakes-

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

You are only hearing 1 side. The poor teenager. I wonder if we knew the rest of the story. The other side. I have found that there are always 3 sides to a story. His side, her side and then the truth. I have already stated, the kkk comment was uncalled for. However,  I do find that parents of perfect children tend to over-react.

Quoting Jacqalyn:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Pul-lease- the kid was probably being an ass-much. and this tripe gets in the news.

My ds wears his Romney t for the past year now (much to my dismay) but meh- it's his own money he's wasting (and thank God he can't vote yet LOL).

But one choses to wear a garmet that has a message displayed, one must expect comments. otherwise, why wear it? And if the kid is not mature enough to handle it, then she needs to stop wearing it. Granted, the tecaher went overboard with the KKK comment but it seems like it was all in fun and the kid took it the wrong way. I tell ds to be prepared to take the flack when he wears his t.

Really so because this teacher was an ass it must be the girls fault.
The teacher should have been worried about her lesson for the day, not what one of her students was wearing. I can see if she was revealing some skin or body part are was wearing something that was against school dress code but she wasn't.
What the teacher did was uncalled for and should have never been done in the first place.

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
AdellesMom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Well, that's one side of the story. What's the other side?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:43 PM

t-shirts are always controversial and we have discussed this here often. Kids are being asked to remove t-shirts  with pictures or writing that are not approved all the time. This is nothing new at all.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree-

Quoting AdellesMom:

Well, that's one side of the story. What's the other side?

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)