Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The First Debate: Mitt Romney's Five Biggest Lies

Posted by   + Show Post

The First Debate: Mitt Romney's Five Biggest Lies

The truth behind that $5 trillion tax cut, pre-existing conditions and more

President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney at the first Presidential Debate.
SAUL LOEB/AFP/GettyImages
October 4, 2012 9:32 AM ET

Mitt Romney turned in a polished performance in last night's presidential debate - and revealed himself to be an accomplished and unapologetic liar. In an evening where he sought to slice and dice the president with statistics, Romney baldly misrepresented his own policy prescriptions, made up numbers to fit his attacks and buried clear contrasts with the president under a heaping pile of horseshit.

Here are mendacious Mitt's five most outrageous statements:

1. "I don't have a $5 trillion tax cut." Romney flatly lied about the cost of his proposal to cut income-tax rates across the board by another 20 percent (undercutting even the low rates of the Bush tax cuts). Independent economists at the Tax Policy Center have shown that the price tag for those cuts is $360 billion in the first year, a cost that extrapolates to $5 trillion over a decade.

2. "I will not reduce the taxes paid by high-income Americans." Romney has claimed that he will pay for his tax cuts by closing a variety of loopholes and deductions. The factual problem? Romney hasn't named a single loophole he's willing to close; worse, there's no way to offset $5 trillion in tax cuts even if you get rid of the entire universe of deductions for the wealthy that Romney has not put off the table (like the carried interest loophole or the 15 percent capital gains rate.) The Tax Policy Center report concludes that Romney's proposal would create a "net tax cut for high-income tax payers and a net tax increase for lower- and or middle-income taxpayers." Moreover, some of Romney's tax cuts are micro-targeted at American dynasties, particularly his proposal to eliminate the estate tax, which would reduce his own sons' tax burden by tens of millions of dollars.

3. "We've got 23 million people out of work or [who have] stopped looking for work in this country." Romney is lying for effect. The nation's crisis of joblessness is bad, but not 23 million bad. The official figure is 12.5 million unemployed. An additional 2.6 million Americans have stopped looking for jobs. How does Romney gin up his eye-popping 23 million figure? He counts more than 8 million wage earners who hold part-time jobs as also being "out of work."

4. Obamacare "puts in place an unelected board that's going to tell people ultimately what kind of treatments they can have." Romney is reviving Sarah Palin's old death panels lie here. Obamacare does establish an Independent Payment Advisory Board to help constrain the growth of Medicare spending. The body has no authority to dictate the practices of the private insurance marketplace. And the law also makes explicit that this body is banned from rationing care or limiting medical benefits to seniors.

5. "Pre-existing conditions are covered under my plan." In the biggest whopper of the night, Romney suggested that his health care proposal would guarantee coverage to Americans with pre-existing conditions. This is just not true. Under Romney, if you have a pre-existing condition and have been unable to obtain insurance coverage or if you have had to drop coverage for more than 90 days because you lost your job or couldn't afford the premiums, you would be shit out of luck. Insurance companies could continue to discriminate and deny you coverage, as even Romney's top adviser conceded after the debate was over

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-first-debate-mitt-romneys-five-biggest-lies-20121004#ixzz28Neky213

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Replies (71-76):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Quoting shannonnigans:

Does Highlights quote Romney's own campaign manager also?! ;)

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Oh, I ALWAYS get MY news from Rolling Stone. lol

If it is the TRUTH, it doesn't martter where it is published.

It IS the truth.

Deal with it.

If you had an open mind and wanted to learn something, you would read Rolling Stone. But that won't happen ,will it. @@

Nope.  I prefer Highlights Magazine to Rolling Stone.

I don't know---I only saw Goofus and Gallant at those podiums on debate night.  (Gallant was in the red tie.)

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Amen!

Thankyou...let the truth be told.I was pulling my hair out screaming at Obama on tv....lol..

I was enraged that Obama didnt fight back and call Romney out on all his lies,and flip flops.

The American people need to know that Romney gave a grand performance and that he lied about his policies and took Obamas policies for his but called it under another name.He will be a chameleon on stage to get any vote he can.

Romney said he was cutting Obama plan in one breath,yet his plan is identical to Obamas except one thing.People over 65 will stay on Obama care,and those under age 65 get a money voucher....and with that are expected to pay for all there medical and convalescent home bills and retirement....huh???

Romney said hes cutting government assistance?

Obamacare helps soooo many Americans by doing welfare to work programs,dept of labor,displaced homemaker programs,no child left behind program,head start,pell grant...on and on.....Obama helps people.

Romney says let the states handle this...yet use government to help small business that usually fold and cant afford to hire workers therefore NOT creating these imaginary jobs.

He focuses on stopping funding to PBS and big bird???Instead of barely taxing the rich and millionares!!Why cant he stop highly taxing the middle tax!!Obama supports public broadcasting....no more sesame street...

If Romney gets elected we all get the shaft not just big bird!!

~Tia

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Dies anyone not know what fact checker is? No ? Because fact checker came out and said that neither one was lying. BOTH told half truths.
Simmeringhearts
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

And Obama is just a pansy, he wasn't able to expose these supposed 'lies'. Maybe it was because he wasn't getting enough oxygen. LOL

fliptopz4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I think it's so funny that all the Obama supporters are just so bummed that Romney CRUSHED Obama in the first Debates (and will do it again on the next), that they have to put up all these LIES about Romney.  They just can't stand that fact that Obama sucked!!  Even Obama's campaign managers admitted that Romney won the debate.  Most Dems. said that Romney won & that Obama didn't do well. 

They even blamed the "high elevation in Denver", for not doing well.  OR the fact that Romney arrived earlier to prep. for the debates & Obama didn't.  I'm sorry but I'm still laughing over all this. Never in my life did I see this happen in a debate.  So, now the Dems. are on the defense.  It's pitiful what I am hearing on the Dems./Liberal rolling on floorside.  Just admit to a LOST!!  hahahah

I agree with you. I can't wait to see Biden debate Ryan now thats going to be entertaining.

fliptopz4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Quoting MomTiara19:

Amen!

Thankyou...let the truth be told.I was pulling my hair out screaming at Obama on tv....lol..

I was enraged that Obama didnt fight back and call Romney out on all his lies,and flip flops.

The American people need to know that Romney gave a grand performance and that he lied about his policies and took Obamas policies for his but called it under another name.He will be a chameleon on stage to get any vote he can.

Romney said he was cutting Obama plan in one breath,yet his plan is identical to Obamas except one thing.People over 65 will stay on Obama care,and those under age 65 get a money voucher....and with that are expected to pay for all there medical and convalescent home bills and retirement....huh???

Romney said hes cutting government assistance?

Obamacare helps soooo many Americans by doing welfare to work programs,dept of labor,displaced homemaker programs,no child left behind program,head start,pell grant...on and on.....Obama helps people.

Romney says let the states handle this...yet use government to help small business that usually fold and cant afford to hire workers therefore NOT creating these imaginary jobs.

He focuses on stopping funding to PBS and big bird???Instead of barely taxing the rich and millionares!!Why cant he stop highly taxing the middle tax!!Obama supports public broadcasting....no more sesame street...

If Romney gets elected we all get the shaft not just big bird!!

~Tia

I like Big Bird too, but why should tax money go to fund it.This  country is going broke, we can not afford to fund these programs, we need to cut things back to necessities only and PBS is not a necessity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)