Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How does the media determine...........

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM
  • 11 Replies

who wins a debate?

I've googled and tried to get to the bottom of this question I have.

Perhaps I'm just too tired to find any thing that can give me a definitive answer.

So I thought, throw out to you ladies, see what I get.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Good question.  I think there are certain means of scoring but I am not sure.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I was reading the other thread that kind of relates to this.  No definitive answer there either.

This really has my interest peeked. 

I need to do some more research on this.  

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Wishful thinking? Idk... I imagine they do some poll at some point...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I am sure it is quite subjective and slanted and emotional, even though they say they want to be objective and accurate.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

From what I am reading, the polls conducted are not specific in the questions asked.  At least I can't find any.

I would really like to see the question(s) asked.

From what I have read, it seems people feel being aggressive versus passive wins a debate.

I have yet to find any thing that relates to what was actually said, or not said, facts or non facts, nothing other than the emotion of those who took part in the poll.  

Regardless of who takes part in such a debate, it is disheartening when there is no mention of substance.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

6Fish
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I think it's fairly subjective; however, I think it makes it all that much more telling when people who are die-hard supporters of one side even breakdown and admit that the other guy won.  Have you watched the debate?  I think you just have to decide for yourself.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Quoting 6Fish:

I think it's fairly subjective; however, I think it makes it all that much more telling when people who are die-hard supporters of one side even breakdown and admit that the other guy won.  Have you watched the debate?  I think you just have to decide for yourself.

Yes, I did watch the debate.  

Regardless of that...........

I would like to see the numbers, in whose 'side' people are on and who they cast their poll vote for.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure it is the media who picks.  From what I saw last night they were consulting a lot of analyst.  But, it doesn't really matter.  What matter is what you thought about the debate, not anyone else, because it isn't anyone else vote.

6Fish
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I hope you don't think that I was being a smart @ss when I asked that.  I didn't mean for it to sound as if I was.  I just genuinely think that it's subjective and everyone is going to see it differently, so really all that matters is who you think won. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting 6Fish:

Yes, I did watch the debate.  

Regardless of that...........

I would like to see the numbers, in whose 'side' people are on and who they cast their poll vote for.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM

It's just opinion.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN