Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A genuine question to those who support Romney.

Posted by   + Show Post

I've asked this is a few threads but no one seems to want to answer.

What, in your opinion, did Romney offer last night that should have been helpful to some one undecided?  

I realize the time was restricted but what did he offer to Americans?

Specifics, not just his back and forth on how he feels about the current Administration.

This has nothing to do with the President.

What did I not hear last night that Romney has to offer America?

Notice I said last night................I am speaking specifically of what he offered during the debate.  Not at any other time.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Replies (181-190):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM

As I wrote yesterday, the policy disagreement animating the “you didn’t build that” argument is a relatively narrow one: The question is whether we should increase tax rates on the rich to fund public investment. One argument against that proposal is that, since some small businesses end up paying taxes as individuals, higher tax rates on the rich mean higher tax rates on small businesses, which means fewer people will build firms.

The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities has a policy brief that attaches some numbers to this argument. The key points:

1) Relatively few small businesses would be affected. “Allowing the top two marginal tax rates to return to pre-2001 levels as scheduled next year would affect very few small businesses, a recent Treasury Department study found. The study shows that only 2.5 percent of small business owners face the top two rates.”

2) There’s little historical evidence that cutting taxes on the rich leads to better performance among small businesses. “The arguments against allowing the high-end tax cuts to expire on schedule echo those made against President Clinton’s proposed 1993 tax increases, which set marginal rates at the levels to which they are set to return when the Bush rate cuts expire.  Critics claimed at the time that those tax increases would seriously harm economic growth and even send the economy back into recession.  As it turned out, job creation and economic growth proved significantly stronger following the 1993 tax increases than following the 2001 Bush tax cuts.  Further, small businesses generated jobs at twice the rate during the Clinton years than they did under the Bush tax code.”

Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

3) Cutting taxes on small businesses is not likely to increase their hiring. “Until they see a pickup in sales, businesses with excess capacity are unlikely to use the proceeds from any tax cuts to hire more workers or expand capacity further. This is why CBO, even as it has noted that some businesses would profit from an extension of the current top tax rates, rejected the argument that Congress should extend these tax cuts to create jobs in a weak economy: ‘Increasing the after-tax income of businesses typically does not create much incentive for them to hire more workers in order to produce more, because production depends principally on their ability to sell their products.’ ”

4) We should worry about young firms more than small firms. “There is an emerging consensus among economists that young small firms — not small firms in general — are particularly important ‘job creators.’  A 2010 study finds no systematic relationship between firm size and job growth, after controlling for firms’ age. It thus is important to distinguish between startup businesses, which the study finds ‘contribute substantially to both gross and net job creation’ (as well as to gross job destruction when they fail, as many startups do), and other small businesses, which on average generate no more net job growth than do larger businesses.”

More generally, if we nevertheless decide we want to cut taxes and ease burdens on small businesses, or young businesses, cutting taxes on all high earners is not a cost-effective way to do it. Some better ideas can be found in this proposal from Carl Schramm and Robert Litan, including:

Let’s change our tax code to facilitate the financing of small business, with a permanent capital gains exemption on investments in startups held for at least five years and a significant cut in corporate tax rates for new companies in the first three years they have taxable income.

To make it easier for growing private companies to go public, let’s give their shareholders (who can best judge the benefits and costs of financial auditing mandates) and those of other public companies with a market cap of $1 billion or less the choice whether to comply with the onerous requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act

candlegal
    by Judy on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    1 mom liked this

I think he was a community activist   :)

which is why he is doing such a good job at agitating the country and pitting the have nots agains the haves.

Quoting Element5:

I trust a man that's good at his job a lot faster then a group organizer.

If current president couldn't even stop for a day campaigning to give a briefing on the death of 4 Americans ... This is just a spit in the face!! And did everyone forget the church he attended..?! Pastor Wright?! This doesn't piss people off??!! He attended the church for 20 years.. And feeding us bull that he never heard a "hate" speech??!! Maybe he should check his ears!

Sisteract
    by Whoopie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Many of the have nots are in his own target base audience-

Quoting candlegal:

I think he was a community activist   :)

which is why he is doing such a good job at agitating the country and pitting the have nots agains the haves.

Quoting Element5:

I trust a man that's good at his job a lot faster then a group organizer.

If current president couldn't even stop for a day campaigning to give a briefing on the death of 4 Americans ... This is just a spit in the face!! And did everyone forget the church he attended..?! Pastor Wright?! This doesn't piss people off??!! He attended the church for 20 years.. And feeding us bull that he never heard a "hate" speech??!! Maybe he should check his ears!

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
    Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
    GotSomeKids
    by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM

We've already calculated it.  We are middle class and between the tax "INCREASE" and fewer deductions we are going to have to pay an additional $2100 a year (give or take).  We did refinance the house, so that will also change some deductions as well.  We'll see how it goes.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting starry_dreamer:

Don't they both want to do that?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Cut taxes in order to grow the economy.  That's what he said

CUT TAXES!

Are you kidding?! Honey, Obama said he plans to INCREASE taxes! I cannot afford 4 more years of him. And that Obamacare you're waiting for? You realize that's gonna cost ya another 2 and a half grand a year, don't you?

Sisteract
    by Whoopie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Wonder if mortgage interest is one of the "loopholes" he intends to close, but will not publicly disclose until after the election?

That one would help his math.

It would also RAISE taxes on many-

Quoting GotSomeKids:

We've already calculated it.  We are middle class and between the tax "INCREASE" and fewer deductions we are going to have to pay an additional $2100 a year (give or take).  We did refinance the house, so that will also change some deductions as well.  We'll see how it goes.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting starry_dreamer:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

CUT TAXES!

Are you kidding?! Honey, Obama said he plans to INCREASE taxes! I cannot afford 4 more years of him. And that Obamacare you're waiting for? You realize that's gonna cost ya another 2 and a half grand a year, don't you?

GotSomeKids
    by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Good gracious, I hope not.  It's one of the few we still have.  Between paying more taxes federally and our state raising taxes like it's happy hour at the local pub, we may have to think about retiring somewhere else.  I've never seen an area have such a drop in housing prices and still have an increase in property taxes.

Edit:

Obama keeps saying he is trying to make the middle class stronger.  I don't know about other people, but the hubby and I have become progressively weaker.  We've never had to pay this much taxes before.  Cost of living has skyrocketed, we are continually and progressively asked to do more with less and have had to make big dips into our savings.  It's frustrating and scary.

Quoting Sisteract:

Wonder if mortgage interest is one of the "loopholes" he intends to close, but will not publicly disclose until after the election?

That one would help his math.

It would also RAISE taxes on many-

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting starry_dreamer:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

CUT TAXES!

HeathersForever
    by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    1 mom liked this

I would never vote Republican. But at least the things Ron Paul said didn't make me want to blow my brains out when he spoke in general. I thought the entire time the race was going on Romney would never get it, I thought he was kinda the plain white bread crap that they had to fall back on. But then again what else did they have. Insane Newt? Insane Perry? Insane Santorum? The only one who didn't seem to be entirely insane was Paul. To my logic I would say they should have picked the one who seemed the least insane for their party, but I'm sure they figured since Romney is so damn stupid they could maniuplate him more.

Quoting Sisteract:

Terrible GOP choice, again!

Quoting HeathersForever:

Good answer. Ya know if the republicans had actually picked him they may not have hung themselves this election. As it is I am betting Obama is gonna win, I want him to win, I'm just saying the republicans had a decent candidate but what did they do? They passed on him for a moron!

Quoting funnymommy71:

RON PAUL.........

Quoting HeathersForever:

Is that enough to "hook" you? Because if it is the only reason you want to vote for someone you should look at the third parties and actually back someone you believe in and not someone you hate just hate less.

Quoting Paperfishies:

The only thing Romney has to offer, is that he isn't Obama.

Sisteract
    by Whoopie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Even most of the conservies on CM did not want Romney- these ladies know exactly what he is.

They'll all hold their noses and vote for him though.

I would have voted for Huntsman.

Quoting HeathersForever:

I would never vote Republican. But at least the things Ron Paul said didn't make me want to blow my brains out when he spoke in general. I thought the entire time the race was going on Romney would never get it, I thought he was kinda the plain white bread crap that they had to fall back on. But then again what else did they have. Insane Newt? Insane Perry? Insane Santorum? The only one who didn't seem to be entirely insane was Paul. To my logic I would say they should have picked the one who seemed the least insane for their party, but I'm sure they figured since Romney is so damn stupid they could maniuplate him more.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting HeathersForever:

Good answer. Ya know if the republicans had actually picked him they may not have hung themselves this election. As it is I am betting Obama is gonna win, I want him to win, I'm just saying the republicans had a decent candidate but what did they do? They passed on him for a moron!

Quoting funnymommy71:

RON PAUL.........

Quoting HeathersForever:

Is that enough to "hook" you? Because if it is the only reason you want to vote for someone you should look at the third parties and actually back someone you believe in and not someone you hate just hate less.

Quoting Paperfishies:

HeathersForever
    by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

OMG I can't even think who he is, he must not have gotten as much Press...I don't know I tried to keep up throughout the nominations but it was tiring honestly reading about all the absolutely horrific things each candidate said one after the other.

And I think it's sad that so many people can't stand Romney, but will still vote for him. I don't think he is gonna win though. I love all the conservatives though prancing around at the current moment so ASSURED of Romney's victory. I guess they haven't met the hoards of people who HATE Romney and are voting Obama. Take a walk around my college campus, ask every single student, "Hi who are you voting for? OBAMA!!" I think there may be one girl that I have run into at school who is conservative. I see tons, and tons of Obama bumper stickers, I have NEVER seen in our giant parking lots ONE Romney sticker.

Quoting Sisteract:

Even most of the conservies on CM did not want Romney- these ladies know exactly what he is.

They'll all hold their noses and vote for him though.

I would have voted for Huntsman.

Quoting HeathersForever:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting HeathersForever:

Quoting funnymommy71:

RON PAUL.........

Quoting HeathersForever:

Quoting Paperfishies:

EvilQueenMommy
    by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    1 mom liked this

Ron Paul is too honest for them to make president.

Quoting HeathersForever:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting HeathersForever:

Quoting funnymommy71:

RON PAUL.........

Quoting HeathersForever:

Quoting Paperfishies:

CafeMom Tickers

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."- Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured