Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A genuine question to those who support Romney.

Posted by   + Show Post

I've asked this is a few threads but no one seems to want to answer.

What, in your opinion, did Romney offer last night that should have been helpful to some one undecided?  

I realize the time was restricted but what did he offer to Americans?

Specifics, not just his back and forth on how he feels about the current Administration.

This has nothing to do with the President.

What did I not hear last night that Romney has to offer America?

Notice I said last night................I am speaking specifically of what he offered during the debate.  Not at any other time.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
HeathersForever
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:24 AM
Remember he is a robot...that look is programmed there.

Quoting nb34:

Oh, I so wanted to wipe that off of his face. It annoyed me so much.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

hmm nobody?  They must have liked his smirk. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Romney's best line to Obama was "you promised to cut the deficit in half---you doubled it."

That's enough for me.  BINGO!

nysa76
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:26 AM

During the primaries, I kept hoping that any one BUT Romney would come out as our republican nominee.  I am republican.  Romney scares the crap out of me.  I am in the process of checking out the third party... Anyone other than our two main choices.  I simply cannot give my vote to either one.

HeathersForever
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:30 AM
5 moms liked this
He is not gonna help the little guy, he is gonna help the big guy. Follow his track record. He buys up businesses and lays people off for one, number two he has stated middle class is 200,000 a year or more. I know small business owners who don't make that. He is out to cut taxes for the real wealthy...trickle down economics...the problem is multiple past republican presidents have tried it before while in an economic slump and it did nothing. If it did nothing in the past we are worse off than ever since we can easily import, and don't need Americans for jobs. Just because the Big Corp office saves does not mean they will help make jobs here...they just won't unless the President makes those Big Businesses only eligible for deductions that are worth it if they refuse to use labor outside the USA. But Romney would not endorse that. He should though if he cared about ALL of us.

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Cut taxes in order to grow the economy.  That's what he said

CUT TAXES!

Yes specifically those who are SMALL businesses to Lower their burden. They are after all the ones who employ and write our checks. If they are freed up they have more ability to hire people therefore creating jobs. See how that works? if we screw business then we are all screwed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:33 AM
I would have LOVED to have seen Huntsman get further than he did. Someone posited that the GOP chose Romney because they knew he wasn't actually a viable candidate and they wouldn't burn a good one against an incumbent. But they'll be able to say (in 4 years) that they are open minded 'look we out forth a Mormon as a candidate.' I thought it was an interesting theory, especially coming from a Republican.

Quoting radioheid:

I haven't met a single undecided voter who was sold on Romney after the debate. If anything, my sister and husband were so disgusted with his inability to follow the rules of debate that they are considering Obama. Can you imagine how his behavior would affect us on the international stage? Interrupting and talking over people constantly, mixed with lies and half-truths? That's all my family has talked about, and we're practically all fiscal conservatives. His personality is sickening. He belongs on one of those conservative talk shows where they all rabble over each other. The GOP needed Jon Huntsman.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lipsis
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Obama will build the pipeline. He obviously will, as he planned to until environmentalists got up in arms and he had to postpone his decision until after the election. If he had planned to not build it, he would have announced that to please the Democratic vote, not postponed it to appease it.

Before Obamacare, My mom didn't know when she'd be able to retire, because the lowest premium she had quoted to her was $1200 a month, because she was a breast cancer survivor. Now she has a target retirement of 2014 when she'll qualify for the Premium Credits. She'll be 66 by then. Before Obamacare, I was inelligible for insurance coverage because I had a miscarriage in 2009. I was told by six different insurance companies that I would not be covered until five years had passed since my miscarriage. Then last year, I had what was considered an "unsuccessful" pregnancy, costing Blue Cross and BlueShield a half a million dollars. So, if Obamacare is repealed, my mother and I will both only have coverage as long as we keep continuous coverage. Romney's campaign proposal only applies to people with pre-existing conditions who maintain continuous health care coverage, it would do nothing to help those who can't get health insurance in the first place. So, when my mother drops her previous health insurance to retire, she'll be back to the skyrocketed premium prices. If my husband decides to quit his job on the other side of the country and start a business so we can live together again, then we won't be able to get insurance for me. Again. Until 2016.

We are not dependent on the middle east for oil. Our biggest oil supplier is Canada.

Mitt Romney plans on cutting taxes for small businesses by continuing the Bush-era tax cuts for individuals making more than 250,000. However, only 3% of small business owners bring in that kind of an income. Since January 2009, our President has lowered taxes for small businesses eighten times:

• A new small-business health care tax credit.

• A tax credit for hiring unemployed workers in 2010.

• Temporary extension of bonus depreciation tax incentives to support new investment.

• 75 percent exclusion of small-business capital gains, for stock acquired in 2009 and 2010.

• Temporary expansion of limits on small-business expensing.

• Five-year carryback of net operating losses, available through fall 2009.

• Reduction of the built-in gains holding period for small businesses to seven years, from 10, in 2009 and 2010.

• Temporary small-business estimated tax payment relief. Tax provisions in the 2010 Small Business Jobs Act (both The Agenda and the I.R.S. have published summaries):

• 100 percent exclusion of small-business capital gains, for stock acquired in late 2010 and 2011.

• A further increase to the expensing limit to $500,000 for 2011 (in 2012, the limit falls to $139,000).

• A further extension of 50 percent bonus depreciation through 2010.

• A new deduction for health care expenses for the self-employed in 2010.

• Tax relief and simplification for cellphone deductions.

• An increase in the deduction for entrepreneurs' start-up expenses in 2010.

• A five-year carry-back of general business credits in 2010.

• Lower penalties for failing to report listed (that is, abusive) tax shelters.

• Increasing bonus depreciation to 100 percent for 2011 (from the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization and Job Creation Act of 2010, the compromise law that keeps the Bush income tax cuts in place through this year; for 2012, bonus depreciation falls to 50 percent and then expires).

• Tax credits for hiring veterans, ranging from $2,400 to $9,600 (from the Veterans Opportunity to Work to Hire Heroes Act of 2011).

Quoting 6Fish: He will repeal Obamacare.  This alone will be a relief for our economy.  Right now, business owners have no idea how this law is going to affect them, and are not hiring or making any big moves until they know what the future holds.

He will cut taxes for businesses.  When taxes are lower for businesses, they have more money to hire more employees.  When more people are working, those people are paying more income tax.  It's win-win all the way around.  Businesses thrive, people are employed, tax revenue increases.

He will open federal land for oil drilling.  The Baaken oil field is one of the biggest in the nation.  There is absolutely no excuse for being so dependent on the middle east for oil when we have our own.  Put our people to work getting it out of the ground!

He will build the oil pipeline.  If Obama is reelected, that pipeline will not be built, and all of OUR oil will be sent to China to be refined so that they can then sell it back to us at a huge profit.  This is good for America HOW?

I believe that he has the business knowledge to lead this country.  He understands that the free market economy works best when the government stays out of it.  He was confident last night.  He outlined his points, numbering them off in a clear, concise manner.  He has a plan that is different from Obama's.  Obama continues to echo the exact same policies he touted 4 years ago, that have only made things worse.  I will concede that Obama inherited a mess, but his policies have not helped a bit.  Things may seem better at the moment, but if you read anything from any financial expert you know that 2013 is going to bring a global financial crisis like this world has never seen.  That tells me that Obama hasn't fixed the mess. He thinks his plan is working, and doesn't intend to change his course of action.  We can't continue on Obama's path.

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that for now.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:57 AM
As opposed to Obama never lies? lol

I haven't heard that, nor do I think it's relevant to this post, which was a list of what Romney said that would get the attention of undecided voters.

Quoting HeathersForever:

State's rights? And yet he wants to make an ammendment making gay marriage illegal in all states which is currently a state's rights issue. Kinda makes him seem like a liar...

Quoting cammibear:

Repeal Obamacare

Emphasis on states rights and 10th Amendment

His Record in a Democratic state working bi-partisanly

His comment about programs/spending criteria - if it's not worth going into debt with China then it should go (something like that)

His ability to understand that government does not create jobs

His focus on job creation and creating revenue through new jobs, not raising taxes

He came across as a leader

He looked directly in the eyes of his opponent

His support of vouchers

His wit and humor

These are just some of the things off the top of my head that I think people liked about him last night.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cammibear
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:09 AM
I guess it doesn't bother you that Obama went so over his time limit that he had 4 minutes more speaking time than Romney with not a peep from the moderator? It would have been double that if Romney hadn't been aggressive in getting more time.

It was sick apparent that the moderator was doing all he could to help Obama out. The more he spoke, the more incoherent he was. It was actually probably to Romneys advantage. Obamas facial expressions and that he couldn't look Romney in the eye should have turned off any undecideds.

Quoting radioheid:

I haven't met a single undecided voter who was sold on Romney after the debate. If anything, my sister and husband were so disgusted with his inability to follow the rules of debate that they are considering Obama. Can you imagine how his behavior would affect us on the international stage? Interrupting and talking over people constantly, mixed with lies and half-truths? That's all my family has talked about, and we're practically all fiscal conservatives. His personality is sickening. He belongs on one of those conservative talk shows where they all rabble over each other. The GOP needed Jon Huntsman.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Eliminate the tax and regulation threats to business, so they can grow, fix the problems and unknowing aspects of Dodd Frank.  Take on some of the proposals of Simpson-Bowles.  Repeal Obamacare.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM
2 moms liked this
It hasn't worker in 10 years

And he's been saying that all along

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Cut taxes in order to grow the economy.  That's what he said

CUT TAXES!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN