Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

If I don't spank my kids, they'll grow up and hit me. *Oh and I should have my kids taken away for the way I currently punish them*

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you feel that push ups and pull ups are physical abuse? (I make the kids do an average of 5 to 15 push ups or pull ups depending on the "crime")

Options:

Yes. That's absolutely abuse!

No...while I wouldn't do it, I don't think it's abuse.

Lol, not abuse and sounds like something I would do.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

My 7 year old son can be handful I know. He has Adhd and sensory issues. He's not perfect, neither am I but we try our best.

The other day, my oldest daughter was outside when our neighbor started talking to her.

Neighbor "Does your mom spank your brother?"

DD "No, she doesn't believe in spanking."

Neighbor. "That's not good." "If she doesn't start spanking and disciplining him now, he won't respect her and when he gets older he'll start hitting her too."

DD "Well she does make him to push ups and pull ups when he gets in trouble."

Neighbor "That's not good!" "That's physical abuse and she could get the kids taken away!"

Seriously lady??

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Imamom4sure
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I dont think its a good idea to have physical activity be asociated with punishment any more than I think its a good idea for cookies to reward.  there are many studies that kids that are forced to write as punishment, end up hating or avoiding writing and become huge procrasinators at writing.  and although they can get over such a hang up, it not a good idea to think of it in terms of punishment, but instead as release, such exercise or write to blow off the steam that is causing the misbehavior in the first place.  I dont think its abuse, but I do think calling it or treating it as punishment is a mistake, instead think of it as kid needs to get more in control of impulses and get attitude shift and exercise is a big help in that.

Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

What a nosy twat she is! :(

I'm sure people probably would think that some of my discipline choices were odd and I even received a few, "Why don't you just blister their ass?" comments from friends. I guess for me, the word "blister" made me cringe to begin with.

I'd pull out the encyclopedias (remember those--the hardback book encyclopedias...not online? lol), close my eyes and flip through the pages. When I would stop, the first subject/topic at the top of the left-hand side was what had to be written about by the child as discipline. The way I looked at it, they were having to write something down--with a heading, no less and good handwriting/spelling/grammar--and be educated in the process.

Again, I was told, "wouldn't it just be easier to spank them?" I suppose so but we, my husband and I, had never been big on that for our choices of punishment.

I'd tell your neighbor to go stuff her muff.

catrig
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM

So gym teachers abuse kids?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh there's been times I've wanted to knock the snot out of my parents too,lol. But no, I've never don it either.

Quoting Aislinn:

I was never hit as a kid and neither was my brother. I have yet to punch, either one of them. And if I was going to do it, it would have happened in the last year. I cannot say I have not thought about it. Hell, even daydreamed about it, but I have never done it...lol

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I like that! I wish we had a backyard :-(

Quoting FromAtoZ:

You live among some rather colorful individuals.

My kids have run laps in the back yard when needed.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

First I have to say, I LOVE your avi!

Okay and yeah I can see that, but honestly the punishment has to fit the child. The exercise is mainly for my son. He has a tendency to lash out when he's over stimulated. Push ups and pull ups help him calm down and it's never done in a really negative way. After he proudly tells everyone how many he did/how strong he is and more importantly, is relaxed.

As rule you don't want kids to associate something good (exercise, reading, writing, eating vegetables) with something negative like punishment. But each kid is different and mainly as parents we just have to play it by ear.

Quoting Imamom4sure:

I dont think its a good idea to have physical activity be asociated with punishment any more than I think its a good idea for cookies to reward.  there are many studies that kids that are forced to write as punishment, end up hating or avoiding writing and become huge procrasinators at writing.  and although they can get over such a hang up, it not a good idea to think of it in terms of punishment, but instead as release, such exercise or write to blow off the steam that is causing the misbehavior in the first place.  I dont think its abuse, but I do think calling it or treating it as punishment is a mistake, instead think of it as kid needs to get more in control of impulses and get attitude shift and exercise is a big help in that.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

*Shudders* @ blistering ayone's ass.

Now there's a creative punishment LOL

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

What a nosy twat she is! :(

I'm sure people probably would think that some of my discipline choices were odd and I even received a few, "Why don't you just blister their ass?" comments from friends. I guess for me, the word "blister" made me cringe to begin with.

I'd pull out the encyclopedias (remember those--the hardback book encyclopedias...not online? lol), close my eyes and flip through the pages. When I would stop, the first subject/topic at the top of the left-hand side was what had to be written about by the child as discipline. The way I looked at it, they were having to write something down--with a heading, no less and good handwriting/spelling/grammar--and be educated in the process.

Again, I was told, "wouldn't it just be easier to spank them?" I suppose so but we, my husband and I, had never been big on that for our choices of punishment.

I'd tell your neighbor to go stuff her muff.rolling on floor

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I know right??

Quoting catrig:

So gym teachers abuse kids?

survivorinohio
by Renรฉ on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Abuse lies in extremes of such punishments.  If you made them exert themselves to the point of exhaustion that would be abusive IMO.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I 100% agree.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Abuse lies in extremes of such punishments.  If you made them exert themselves to the point of exhaustion that would be abusive IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)