Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I don't spank my kids, they'll grow up and hit me. *Oh and I should have my kids taken away for the way I currently punish them*

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you feel that push ups and pull ups are physical abuse? (I make the kids do an average of 5 to 15 push ups or pull ups depending on the "crime")

Options:

Yes. That's absolutely abuse!

No...while I wouldn't do it, I don't think it's abuse.

Lol, not abuse and sounds like something I would do.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

My 7 year old son can be handful I know. He has Adhd and sensory issues. He's not perfect, neither am I but we try our best.

The other day, my oldest daughter was outside when our neighbor started talking to her.

Neighbor "Does your mom spank your brother?"

DD "No, she doesn't believe in spanking."

Neighbor. "That's not good." "If she doesn't start spanking and disciplining him now, he won't respect her and when he gets older he'll start hitting her too."

DD "Well she does make him to push ups and pull ups when he gets in trouble."

Neighbor "That's not good!" "That's physical abuse and she could get the kids taken away!"

Seriously lady??

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Replies (41-50):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont know about fed poorly, but, they made her run for so long that she did become dehydrated. It was an extreme punishment and it wasnt the first time her grandmother made her do it, but, I think it was really hot on that day when it happened. 

Are you in Al?

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

I remember that! But wasn't the kid fed poorly and dehydrated?? She was made to run for long periods of time and had no food or drink? Something to that effect? I may have read it wrong, or just don't remember fully!

Quoting muslimahpj:

There was a little girl in my state who was killed because her grandmother made her run laps for punishment. She at times, would also make her carry cords of wood as she ran.

You know why she was made to run laps while carrying cords of wood? Because she ate candy on the bus on the way home from school. The girl was 7 or 8, I believe. 

Quoting paganbaby:

I like that! I wish we had a backyard :-(

Quoting FromAtoZ:

You live among some rather colorful individuals.

My kids have run laps in the back yard when needed.

Cullen.Girlie.
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Ohhh that's right! It wasn't the amount of food, it was the length and amount of liquids!

No lol, I'm in IN!! :)

Quoting muslimahpj:

I dont know about fed poorly, but, they made her run for so long that she did become dehydrated. It was an extreme punishment and it wasnt the first time her grandmother made her do it, but, I think it was really hot on that day when it happened. 

Are you in Al?

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

I remember that! But wasn't the kid fed poorly and dehydrated?? She was made to run for long periods of time and had no food or drink? Something to that effect? I may have read it wrong, or just don't remember fully!

Quoting muslimahpj:

There was a little girl in my state who was killed because her grandmother made her run laps for punishment. She at times, would also make her carry cords of wood as she ran.

You know why she was made to run laps while carrying cords of wood? Because she ate candy on the bus on the way home from school. The girl was 7 or 8, I believe. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Yeah. ok. 

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

Ohhh that's right! It wasn't the amount of food, it was the length and amount of liquids!

Quoting muslimahpj:

Are you in Al?

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

colljd02
by Julia on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Where in Indiana are you?? I'm in Indiana as well:) born, raised, and live in Auburn, about 15 miles north of Fort Wayne.

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Are you in Al?

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

someone quick, call cps on all the gym teachers!!!!

colljd02
by Julia on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM
That's horrible. She must have had to run for a long time. I hope they convicted the grandmother and she's rotting in prison.

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cullen.Girlie.
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I am in Jasper! Originally from Tell City, but moved up here in February!! :)

Quoting colljd02:

Where in Indiana are you?? I'm in Indiana as well:) born, raised, and live in Auburn, about 15 miles north of Fort Wayne.

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Are you in Al?

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

i remember that, it was super hot out, she had no water and they ran her all damn day, poor child :( 

Quoting colljd02:

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Are you in Al?

Quoting Cullen.Girlie.:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting paganbaby:

First I have to say, I LOVE your avi!

Okay and yeah I can see that, but honestly the punishment has to fit the child. The exercise is mainly for my son. He has a tendency to lash out when he's over stimulated. Push ups and pull ups help him calm down and it's never done in a really negative way. After he proudly tells everyone how many he did/how strong he is and more importantly, is relaxed.

As rule you don't want kids to associate something good (exercise, reading, writing, eating vegetables) with something negative like punishment. But each kid is different and mainly as parents we just have to play it by ear.

Quoting Imamom4sure:

I dont think its a good idea to have physical activity be asociated with punishment any more than I think its a good idea for cookies to reward.  there are many studies that kids that are forced to write as punishment, end up hating or avoiding writing and become huge procrasinators at writing.  and although they can get over such a hang up, it not a good idea to think of it in terms of punishment, but instead as release, such exercise or write to blow off the steam that is causing the misbehavior in the first place.  I dont think its abuse, but I do think calling it or treating it as punishment is a mistake, instead think of it as kid needs to get more in control of impulses and get attitude shift and exercise is a big help in that.

You should be a politician, and I mean that in a good way.  I love this response from you.  It was eloquent, mature, and a great come back. :)

*Blushes* Why thank you,lol.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM

That's very true. As parents we need to be creative,lol.

Quoting ChicMommy06:

I actually think that is a great alternative!!!! Wonder why I never thought of it you genius you. Lol but seriously, spank my children but I do think their is a certain age when spankings need to be replaced with another form of discipline and I think this would work perfectly for my 5 year old.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured