Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

If I don't spank my kids, they'll grow up and hit me. *Oh and I should have my kids taken away for the way I currently punish them*

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you feel that push ups and pull ups are physical abuse? (I make the kids do an average of 5 to 15 push ups or pull ups depending on the "crime")

Options:

Yes. That's absolutely abuse!

No...while I wouldn't do it, I don't think it's abuse.

Lol, not abuse and sounds like something I would do.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

My 7 year old son can be handful I know. He has Adhd and sensory issues. He's not perfect, neither am I but we try our best.

The other day, my oldest daughter was outside when our neighbor started talking to her.

Neighbor "Does your mom spank your brother?"

DD "No, she doesn't believe in spanking."

Neighbor. "That's not good." "If she doesn't start spanking and disciplining him now, he won't respect her and when he gets older he'll start hitting her too."

DD "Well she does make him to push ups and pull ups when he gets in trouble."

Neighbor "That's not good!" "That's physical abuse and she could get the kids taken away!"

Seriously lady??

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Replies (61-68):
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM

My daughter went through a phaze when she kept walking into my room while I was changing.  I got so frustrated because no matter what we did, she refused to knock on the door first.  So, we told her if she did it again she has to do 5 pushups.  Everytime subsequent time she did it she got more push ups.  She got up to 15 push ups and then it clicked.  She knocks every time now.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM

My kids karate instructors also use physical activity as a form of discipline.  My kids gym teachers have giving them laps for misehaving as well.

Quoting catrig:

So gym teachers abuse kids?

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:21 AM

My kids love fruit.  But, when we go to workout they snack on yogurt, peanut butter and/or a banana.

I love our new doctor.  She was the first in the last three years who didn't tell my son to stop eating fruit. 

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Even diebetics can have fruit because fructose loads more evenly and slowly than sucrose. I wonder what those kids are snacking on? Fruit is a great easy snack with roughage if it is unpeeled. My kids would get bored with a never ending string of carrot sticks and peanut butter. They eat cookies and get chips, not a whole bunch. Who can afford to realistically feed a 10 yr old boy and his hoardes of hungry friends a big bag of chips at 4.89 a bag? I certainly can't! They would wolf a bag down in 10 min flat without taking a breath. LOL 

Quoting paganbaby:

I know right?

This lady is weird... She's suuuuper healthy. Not only are her kids not allowed to have sugar, they can't eat fruit either because of the sugar in it.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

You have the weirdest neighbor! Who the hell talks to a kid about discipline techniques used in the home? That is weird.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Ha..ha...my father is retired Marine Corps and he would have us to push ups and sit ups too.  Maybe that's why all the kids in the family turned out so athletic.

Quoting Woodbabe:

My kid did pushups, sit ups, were made to 'hold' the push up position, face to face for fighting. They ran, carried wood, bear crawled...you name it! 

My son is a Marine and my daughter is in college and both are extremely physically fit! LOL

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM

That is so weird, doctors telling moms not to serve kids fruit! A nice drink for kids is flavored yougert whipped in a blender with milk. My kids love a mango lassi. I can't imagine not having fruit on the snack list. Fruit in comparison to other snacks is cheap. What's better than frozen grapes or watermelon on a hot day? Doctors telling moms not to serve fruit? That wouldn't float with me at my house!

Quoting GotSomeKids:

My kids love fruit.  But, when we go to workout they snack on yogurt, peanut butter and/or a banana.

I love our new doctor.  She was the first in the last three years who didn't tell my son to stop eating fruit. 

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Even diebetics can have fruit because fructose loads more evenly and slowly than sucrose. I wonder what those kids are snacking on? Fruit is a great easy snack with roughage if it is unpeeled. My kids would get bored with a never ending string of carrot sticks and peanut butter. They eat cookies and get chips, not a whole bunch. Who can afford to realistically feed a 10 yr old boy and his hoardes of hungry friends a big bag of chips at 4.89 a bag? I certainly can't! They would wolf a bag down in 10 min flat without taking a breath. LOL 

Quoting paganbaby:

I know right?

This lady is weird... She's suuuuper healthy. Not only are her kids not allowed to have sugar, they can't eat fruit either because of the sugar in it.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

You have the weirdest neighbor! Who the hell talks to a kid about discipline techniques used in the home? That is weird.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I thought it was bizarre and they said it was because of all the sugar.  I never did nix it from our diet.  But, my kids have always been drawn to fruit before they were drawn to sugary cookies and snack cakes.  My son gained 15lbs this past year and I was talking to the doctor about it.  She said everything was fine in moderation, "fruits" and veggies make great snacks.  She said his weight gain is more than likely from him being pre-bubescent than anything else.  She said some doctors veer away from fruit because of sugar content, but since my son is involved in sports, she thought he was fine. 

Love our new doctor.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

That is so weird, doctors telling moms not to serve kids fruit! A nice drink for kids is flavored yougert whipped in a blender with milk. My kids love a mango lassi. I can't imagine not having fruit on the snack list. Fruit in comparison to other snacks is cheap. What's better than frozen grapes or watermelon on a hot day? Doctors telling moms not to serve fruit? That wouldn't float with me at my house!

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Quoting paganbaby:

I know right?

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

juliemom308
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:59 AM

It makes me sad to hear of children being punished for very small things. I try to explain why something is wrong so they understand and only go the punishment route for the more serious things.

Quoting muslimahpj:

There was a little girl in my state who was killed because her grandmother made her run laps for punishment. She at times, would also make her carry cords of wood as she ran.

You know why she was made to run laps while carrying cords of wood? Because she ate candy on the bus on the way home from school. The girl was 7 or 8, I believe. 

Quoting paganbaby:

I like that! I wish we had a backyard :-(

Quoting FromAtoZ:

You live among some rather colorful individuals.

My kids have run laps in the back yard when needed.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 5:27 AM

You should spank them.  It's really pretty fun. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)