Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scalia Says The Constitution Doesn't Protect 'Homosexual Sodomy

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 16 Replies
The country's most outspoken justice strikes again.

Justice Antonin Scalia has already called questions about the death penalty "laughable," saying if it was a law when the country was founded, then it's a law now.

And now the "originalist" is attacking homosexual behavior in the same breath as abortion and opposition to the death penalty.

During a speech at the American Enterprise Institute, Scalia said he disagrees with colleagues who now believe the death penalty is unconstitutional, the AP reported.

He then seemed to suggest that he didn't think homosexual activity was protected by the Constitution, either.

"The death penalty? Give me a break. It's easy ... Homosexual sodomy? Come on. For 200 years, it was criminal in every state," Scalia said.

That doesn't bode too well for the gay marriage cases currently before the country's highest court.

The Supreme Court is expected to hear cases about both California's gay marriage ban as well as the Clinton-era Defense of Marriage Act.

http://www.businessinsider.com/scalia-says-homosexual-sodomy-was-criminal-2012-10
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM

How old is he now?

_Kissy_
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM
O.o
..O..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Right....because there is never any reason to evaluate old law and change them based on current knowledge.

I should still be the property of my husband and we should bring back slavery. Men should also be able to rape their wives.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Thankfully, all the justices do not share his POV-

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

How old is he now?

So old he's forgotten that straight people do anal too.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM

He's right. The Constitution does not guarantee a RIGHT to "homosexual acitivity". It's not in there.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

He's right. The Constitution does not guarantee a RIGHT to "homosexual acitivity". It's not in there.

I get what you are saying.  I do.

Does the Constitution guarantee a RIGHT to heterosexual activity?

Does it tell us that homosexual activity should be deemed as criminal, or otherwise?  Or just what we believe per our faith?

Not be snarky.  I respect your opinions, even if, at times, I disagree.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Does it tell us that homosexual activity should be deemed as criminal, or otherwise?  Or just what we believe per our faith?

I get you too. The thing is, this particular Justice is a strict "Constitutionalist". He tends to write his decisions based on those grounds. So, coming from him - I'm not surprised.

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I get you too. The thing is, this particular Justice is a strict "Constitutionalist". He tends to write his decisions based on those grounds. So, coming from him - I'm not surprised.

Yes, yes he is.  I can also understand this, even if I disagree with it.  

It is worrisome, at best.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

cammibear
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM
If sodomy laws remain on the books in the states, then he is correct. It's a moral, states rights issue that has to be changed at the state level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured