Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Breastfeeding Moms Boot Nestle From Maternity Wards

Posted by   + Show Post

If breastfeeding is healthier for babies, why are hospitals pushing corporate infant formula? How a growing number of states and cities are banning marketing in the maternity ward.

From TIME magazine’s provocative photo of a mother breastfeeding her toddler to the recent controversy surrounding an American University professor who breastfed her baby while teaching a class, how we feed babies often attracts its fair share of media attention.

But while news coverage often focuses on what are perceived as personal choices related to infant feeding, an important piece of the puzzle is often missing from their analysis: the intrusion of massive corporations into the relationships between patients and health-care providers, and the subordination of public-health considerations to profit margins.

Fortunately, advocates and activists are joining forces and putting a spotlight on this missing piece of the puzzle. And momentum is building as hospitals across the country—including all of those in Massachusetts and Rhode Island—are telling the infant-formula industry to take their marketing pitches elsewhere.

Science or sales pitch?

Consider this: Across the country, up to 72 percent of health-care facilities with maternity units distribute so-called infant formula to new mothers in industry-supplied “discharge bags,” complete with formula samples, coupons for formula, and marketing materials.

With the many benefits of breastfeeding touted by the Surgeon General and other public-health officials, why would hospitals send a new mom home with a bag full of formula? Because the infant-formula industry, which is worth $3.5 billion in the United States alone, knows there couldn’t be a better marketing tool than hospital freebies that are seemingly endorsed by health-care providers.

Studies show that women who receive infant formula samples in maternity wards are more likely to stop breastfeeding sooner and less likely to breastfeed exclusively. Though all major health care organizations recommend that infants be breastfed exclusively through six months, only 16.3 percent of moms nationwide achieve this goal. Experts agree that one of the obstacles to exclusive breastfeeding is ubiquitous infant formula marketing.

Certainly, families should make their own decisions about how to feed their babies, taking into account a variety of life circumstances and personal preferences that might make them elect to use infant formula instead of breastfeeding. But as far as practicing evidence-based medicine goes, it makes sense for health care providers to recommend the option that is best for their patients’ health. That recommendation is seriously undermined by infant-formula marketing in health care facilities, highlighting the conflict between the ideal goals of hospitals (health) and goals of formula manufacturers (profit). As one humorous comic put it, discharge bags seem to send the message, “Breast is best, but you probably can’t do it.”

This issue strikes a chord that goes beyond this particular product. We look to our health care providers for scientifically based medical advice, not for a sales pitch. So many aspects of our lives are commercialized, from schools plastered with advertisements, to bridges, highways, and roads named for the corporations that make the highest offer. Still, at the very least, shouldn’t our relationships with our health care providers be spared from the encroachment of values that turn every human interaction into one of buying and selling? Shouldn’t we be able to trust that our doctors, nurses or midwives are offering us advice that is best for us, not best for the bottom lines of deep-pocketed corporations?

The struggle for a marketing-free maternity ward

Fortunately, we are starting to see change on this issue, thanks to many years of work by committed public-health advocates and activists. Recently, Public Citizen, the organization I work for, launched a campaign calling on health-care facilities to stop allowing the distribution of infant-formula samples to new moms. More than 15,000 people have signed Public Citizen’s petition calling on the three major manufacturers of infant formula—Abbott, Mead Johnson, and Nestlé—to stop using health-care facilities to market their products. Some states are leading the charge to get infant formula marketing out of hospitals.

Last fall, Rhode Island became the first state in which all maternity hospitals voluntarily eliminated industry-sponsored discharge bags. This summer, Massachusetts followed suit, with all 49 of its hospitals ending formula marketing on their premises. Massachusetts advocates overcame significant obstacles: In 2005, then-governor Mitt Romney forced the state’s department of health to overturn regulations that would have banned formula discharge bags from hospitals. Most recently, 28 of New York City’s hospitals voluntarily agreed to stop distributing infant-formula marketing materials to new moms.

The movement to ensure that health care facilities promote health, not corporate profits, is gaining speed. It’s time for hospitals across the country to say “no more” to corporate interests encroaching on patients’ access to quality health care.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/11964-breastfeeding-moms-boot-nestle-from-maternity-wards
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Replies (221-230):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

What is with you and calling everyone a liar when you fail to grasp the concept they are trying to explain to you?   It smacks of an ignorant outburst.   Maybe you should try a little harder to understand before resorting to name calling?

The examples I gave were situations in which a mom may fall prey to a formula sample.  

Mom who may have doubts maybe hits about 2-3 weeks and the baby won't stop crying or rooting... it's late at night and baby just won't go to sleep.   Mom figures it must be because she's drying up and offers the free sample formula that was so conveniently sent home with her.   Baby eats, is satisfied and goes to sleep.   Mom figures she just doesn't make enough milk and begins to supplement.

Mom with little support... maybe has a higher need baby.   Baby wants to nurse every hour, doesn't want to be put down ever... mom is tired, touched out, not sure she can continue.   Figures she'll just give the formula sent home with her a try to see if it makes a difference.   She tries it, baby sleeps and she decides to begin to supplement.

Mom who is just tired... baby has been waking every hour for 3 days wanting to nurse.   Mom is tired, it's the middle of the night and she just can't handle it anymore.  Dad offers to feed baby with the sample formula just so she can get a little sleep.   Dad feeds baby overnight, they wake up in the morning and baby refuses to latch.   Mom begins pumping and keeps trying, but eventually gives up. 

These are all just exaples of situations that *could* happen and where the sample may contribute to mom failing when a little time and/or support may have resulted in success.   Doesn't mean it absolutely wouldn't happen without the sample, just that the risk is higher when mom is sent home with a sample (about 3.5 times higher according to research).  

So, you're calling moms like these "weak willed"?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

No, the examples you gave included a VARIETY of reasons for choosing not to BF, liar. NOT bring handed a sample and saying "oh goody, look, no need to follow through with trying to BF"

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

And the situations I listed were ones that would involve mom falling prey to that sample. So, you're calling them weak willed for being human. Not very nice, but I've come to expect that from you.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Would you READ for a change? I calledmoms weak willed who give up BF BECAUSE of a SAMPLE.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Do you really need to be so insulting and mean in everything that you say?    Just a bad day, or are you always like this?

All the same, you're calling brand new moms weak willed because they may have doubts about their ability, have little to no support, or just get tired.   

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Again with the namecalling.   Jeez.. you must really be a miserable person in life, huh?

I'm talking about support and you're failing to understand what it means to support someone in their efforts.   Please reread the highlighted red... I'm not talking about not supporting a mom who has made the conscious decision to wean her child because she feels like it is the right thing for her, I'm talking about supporting moms through rough patches that are temporary so that they know it does get better.   Can you grasp that concept or should I give more examples?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I never said word about SUPPORT, liar. I SAID that you are being a sanctimommy by continually saying it is NOT okay to give up on FF. You have yet to address something I ACTUALLY SAID.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Do you really not understand that often "support" just means telling a person not to give up, that it will get better and be worth it? How is supporting a fellow mom through a time that I have experienced myself " determining her choice". It's fracking support! I'm sure glad I'm not one of your friends or your children if that's the attitude you have about anything that might be difficult.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

And that is what makes you a sanctimommy. You are NOT in another woman's body and yet you havw detwrmined her choice to ff is NOT okay and that she needs to just try harder and never give up. Screw you. My choice was best my my son and you can shove your "it is not okay to give up" where the sun don't shine. The point of my post is that it IS okay for a mom to make a decision that she feels is best for HER child give HER individual situation.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Is that what you plan to tell your kids when they're learning to ride a bike... or read... or play baseball, or graduate high school, or finish college... and they run into a few bumps?  "It's okay to give up".

I honestly don't care if a mother chooses to do something different than I do.   Does not effect me in any way.   I DO care about the moms who WANT to breastfeed but are given bad info, or just need a little emotional support.   Setting out to do something and then giving up or failing never feels good, and I don't want anyone to feel that way.   Pushing through and conquering something you aren't sure you can do is a fantastic feeling, and I think it's a great learning experience for new moms.  

I know many of the lessons I learned while nursing my first son has been invaluable to me as a mother and I'm constantly amazed at how ingenius the system is.    I want to share that, I want others to get that experience if it's something that THEY want.  

So... in my book it's NOT okay to give up, and as a friend I would never tell someone it's ok whether they are trying to get a degree, breastfeed, lose weight, get a better job, etc... you keep trying, you don't give up.  Often that support is all a person needs and once they push through the rough patch it's all worth it.

I do find it amusing that you keep finding "digs" in my completely innocent statements and I think that says a great deal more about you than it does about me. 

ETA:   I wanted to add that I think there's a big difference between encouraging on a mom who is going through a rough time and accepting the decision of a mom who has decided that she is ready to wean.    Never make a decision to quit something on a bad day, basically.  

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM
I havr told you at least fourtimes that I am NOT refering to mothrs who have issues other than JUST having a sample pack of formula and you keep stamping like a toddler and insiting on LYING by claiming I am callingg any woman who uses formula samples weak.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

What is with you and calling everyone a liar when you fail to grasp the concept they are trying to explain to you?   It smacks of an ignorant outburst.   Maybe you should try a little harder to understand before resorting to name calling?

The examples I gave were situations in which a mom may fall prey to a formula sample.  

Mom who may have doubts maybe hits about 2-3 weeks and the baby won't stop crying or rooting... it's late at night and baby just won't go to sleep.   Mom figures it must be because she's drying up and offers the free sample formula that was so conveniently sent home with her.   Baby eats, is satisfied and goes to sleep.   Mom figures she just doesn't make enough milk and begins to supplement.

Mom with little support... maybe has a higher need baby.   Baby wants to nurse every hour, doesn't want to be put down ever... mom is tired, touched out, not sure she can continue.   Figures she'll just give the formula sent home with her a try to see if it makes a difference.   She tries it, baby sleeps and she decides to begin to supplement.

Mom who is just tired... baby has been waking every hour for 3 days wanting to nurse.   Mom is tired, it's the middle of the night and she just can't handle it anymore.  Dad offers to feed baby with the sample formula just so she can get a little sleep.   Dad feeds baby overnight, they wake up in the morning and baby refuses to latch.   Mom begins pumping and keeps trying, but eventually gives up. 

These are all just exaples of situations that *could* happen and where the sample may contribute to mom failing when a little time and/or support may have resulted in success.   Doesn't mean it absolutely wouldn't happen without the sample, just that the risk is higher when mom is sent home with a sample (about 3.5 times higher according to research).  

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

No, the examples you gave included a VARIETY of reasons for choosing not to BF, liar. NOT bring handed a sample and saying "oh goody, look, no need to follow through with trying to BF"

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

And the situations I listed were ones that would involve mom falling prey to that sample. So, you're calling them weak willed for being human. Not very nice, but I've come to expect that from you.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Would you READ for a change? I calledmoms weak willed who give up BF BECAUSE of a SAMPLE.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Do you really need to be so insulting and mean in everything that you say?    Just a bad day, or are you always like this?

All the same, you're calling brand new moms weak willed because they may have doubts about their ability, have little to no support, or just get tired.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM
So then you agree that formula samples should not be given in hospitals. I'm glad I was strong enough not to use them, but some emotional, sleep-deprived mothers are not.

I have never had a pushy LC. I have watched a nurse tell a sixteen year old girl who was in labor with her first baby every breastfeeding horror story she could think of. She went from wanting to nurse to not even wanting to try.

Doctors don't encourage McDonald's. That was the point. It's a way to feed your child, but it's not the best way. It doesn't mean it's wrong for a kid to eat McDonald's. it just means that doctors shouldn't promote it.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

That's right they should continue to push a feeding method on a new emotional mother that already feel inadequete and tired.  Good idea.

When she says she plans to FF then the lactation nazi should still visit her and continue to convince her try harder.

FEEDING A BABY SHOULD ALWAYS BE ENCOURAGED!  NO MATTER THE METHOD!!!!!

Why is that so hard for some to understand?  I am thankful that I was strong enough with my babies to tell the LC to leave me alone.  Unfortunately many others moms are not.  They feel pushed and condemned when they cannot BF their infant.  No mther should ever feel that way.

And a medical reason to formula feed?  I don't think so.  I did not havea medical reason to FF all 4 of my children.  Should i have been forced to BF them since there was not a medical reason?

I did not realize Drs promoted McDonalds?

Quoting motherslove82:

So if doctors aren't going to promote McDonald's, they shouldn't encourage eating vegetables? No one should be encouraged to formula feed unless there is a medical reason. If you chose to, that's fine, but it shouldn't be encouraged and women shouldn't feel pressured into it.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

If you are going to take away from one, you have to take away from the other. Also if a woman chooses formula, that means no more packets on BF or pumps, etc. Those women are bombarded just the same, just it happens more often and in more places than the hospital.

Quoting motherslove82:

You are not entitled to free formula samples. A company has the right to allow or disallow any product they want. They aren't saying that they aren't going to allow formula. They just aren't going to push it on women anymore.

I have said, with 4 children, that I plan to exclusively breastfeed and I was bombarded with formula samples from hospitals and doctor's offices. How is that not pushing your beliefs on someone?

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Doesnt matter what is healthier. It is a mothers xhoice what she wants to do and if you take formula away based on what you think ois better for the baby and its mom, you are pushing your agenda on them.

Quoting motherslove82:

That is not what the article is saying. It's not about advertisement alone. It's about a doctor/hospital handing out formula samples, which makes it seem like they are endorsing formula. Breastfeeding is healthier. It's kind of like a doctor's office handing out Mcdonald's coupons or gift certificates.

I never used the formula samples, but I love diaper bags, so I would miss getting those. :-)

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I hope this means ALL free samples are gone then.�  That means no free samples for lotion that help when you BF or anything else given away to help the mother.�  Can't have anything corporate interfering right?

If you are banning for one set of parent then you ban all corporate gimicks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM
YOU Saying it is NOT OKAY to give up is what makes you a sanctimommy, O have not SAID ANYTHING about not supporting women through rough patches.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Again with the namecalling.   Jeez.. you must really be a miserable person in life, huh?

I'm talking about support and you're failing to understand what it means to support someone in their efforts.   Please reread the highlighted red... I'm not talking about not supporting a mom who has made the conscious decision to wean her child because she feels like it is the right thing for her, I'm talking about supporting moms through rough patches that are temporary so that they know it does get better.   Can you grasp that concept or should I give more examples?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I never said word about SUPPORT, liar. I SAID that you are being a sanctimommy by continually saying it is NOT okay to give up on FF. You have yet to address something I ACTUALLY SAID.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Do you really not understand that often "support" just means telling a person not to give up, that it will get better and be worth it? How is supporting a fellow mom through a time that I have experienced myself " determining her choice". It's fracking support! I'm sure glad I'm not one of your friends or your children if that's the attitude you have about anything that might be difficult.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

And that is what makes you a sanctimommy. You are NOT in another woman's body and yet you havw detwrmined her choice to ff is NOT okay and that she needs to just try harder and never give up. Screw you. My choice was best my my son and you can shove your "it is not okay to give up" where the sun don't shine. The point of my post is that it IS okay for a mom to make a decision that she feels is best for HER child give HER individual situation.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Is that what you plan to tell your kids when they're learning to ride a bike... or read... or play baseball, or graduate high school, or finish college... and they run into a few bumps?  "It's okay to give up".

I honestly don't care if a mother chooses to do something different than I do.   Does not effect me in any way.   I DO care about the moms who WANT to breastfeed but are given bad info, or just need a little emotional support.   Setting out to do something and then giving up or failing never feels good, and I don't want anyone to feel that way.   Pushing through and conquering something you aren't sure you can do is a fantastic feeling, and I think it's a great learning experience for new moms.  

I know many of the lessons I learned while nursing my first son has been invaluable to me as a mother and I'm constantly amazed at how ingenius the system is.    I want to share that, I want others to get that experience if it's something that THEY want.  

So... in my book it's NOT okay to give up, and as a friend I would never tell someone it's ok whether they are trying to get a degree, breastfeed, lose weight, get a better job, etc... you keep trying, you don't give up.  Often that support is all a person needs and once they push through the rough patch it's all worth it.

I do find it amusing that you keep finding "digs" in my completely innocent statements and I think that says a great deal more about you than it does about me. 

ETA:   I wanted to add that I think there's a big difference between encouraging on a mom who is going through a rough time and accepting the decision of a mom who has decided that she is ready to wean.    Never make a decision to quit something on a bad day, basically.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Gads, I hope they don't hand out nipple shields anywhere!   That's possibly worse than handing out formula.

But, you're absolutely right, my experience does not mean it doesn't happen.

In the end, it is up to the hospital to decide what to offer their patients in the way of freebies.   Hospitals are in the business of promoting health and so either out of genuine concern for their population's health, or just as a HR policy to attract more mothers to thier hospital, they can choose  to support breastfeeding as much as possible, or simply just to not sabotage it.   

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

YoUR experience does not mean it does not happen. Many of those bags asolutely DO include samples of breast creams and pads for BF and sometimes even nipple shields.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I've given birth to three kids in three different hospitals and was never once given any breastfeeding supplies. The first time I was given a formula bag, the second time i refused to take the formula bag and the last time they just gave a plain insulated bag from the hospital.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Um, that would be because they ARE providing free samples to moms who BF of things that will help them with feeding their LO.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting muslimahpj:

I fail to see how *not* providing a formula sample must in some way be extrapolated by a mom as demeaning her choice.

tessaloveof3
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

It is not your place to say what a private company can or cannot provide in a public hospital simply because you think you know what is best for all moms and all babies.

Quoting motherslove82:

So then you agree that formula samples should not be given in hospitals. I'm glad I was strong enough not to use them, but some emotional, sleep-deprived mothers are not.

I have never had a pushy LC. I have watched a nurse tell a sixteen year old girl who was in labor with her first baby every breastfeeding horror story she could think of. She went from wanting to nurse to not even wanting to try.

Doctors don't encourage McDonald's. That was the point. It's a way to feed your child, but it's not the best way. It doesn't mean it's wrong for a kid to eat McDonald's. it just means that doctors shouldn't promote it.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

That's right they should continue to push a feeding method on a new emotional mother that already feel inadequete and tired.  Good idea.

When she says she plans to FF then the lactation nazi should still visit her and continue to convince her try harder.

FEEDING A BABY SHOULD ALWAYS BE ENCOURAGED!  NO MATTER THE METHOD!!!!!

Why is that so hard for some to understand?  I am thankful that I was strong enough with my babies to tell the LC to leave me alone.  Unfortunately many others moms are not.  They feel pushed and condemned when they cannot BF their infant.  No mther should ever feel that way.

And a medical reason to formula feed?  I don't think so.  I did not havea medical reason to FF all 4 of my children.  Should i have been forced to BF them since there was not a medical reason?

I did not realize Drs promoted McDonalds?

Quoting motherslove82:

So if doctors aren't going to promote McDonald's, they shouldn't encourage eating vegetables? No one should be encouraged to formula feed unless there is a medical reason. If you chose to, that's fine, but it shouldn't be encouraged and women shouldn't feel pressured into it.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

If you are going to take away from one, you have to take away from the other. Also if a woman chooses formula, that means no more packets on BF or pumps, etc. Those women are bombarded just the same, just it happens more often and in more places than the hospital.

Quoting motherslove82:

You are not entitled to free formula samples. A company has the right to allow or disallow any product they want. They aren't saying that they aren't going to allow formula. They just aren't going to push it on women anymore.

I have said, with 4 children, that I plan to exclusively breastfeed and I was bombarded with formula samples from hospitals and doctor's offices. How is that not pushing your beliefs on someone?

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Doesnt matter what is healthier. It is a mothers xhoice what she wants to do and if you take formula away based on what you think ois better for the baby and its mom, you are pushing your agenda on them.

Quoting motherslove82:

That is not what the article is saying. It's not about advertisement alone. It's about a doctor/hospital handing out formula samples, which makes it seem like they are endorsing formula. Breastfeeding is healthier. It's kind of like a doctor's office handing out Mcdonald's coupons or gift certificates.

I never used the formula samples, but I love diaper bags, so I would miss getting those. :-)

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I hope this means ALL free samples are gone then.�  That means no free samples for lotion that help when you BF or anything else given away to help the mother.�  Can't have anything corporate interfering right?

If you are banning for one set of parent then you ban all corporate gimicks.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Haha!   I'm the one stamping like a toddler?   

Obviously a simple can of formula is not going to effect a mom who isn't having issues.   That's not who they are targeted towards.    They are targeted towards the moms who run into issues or rough patches... that's the entire point of them.  

Who ever said that a mom who is doing well and enjoying nursing her baby would be swayed by a silly can of formula??  

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I havr told you at least fourtimes that I am NOT refering to mothrs who have issues other than JUST having a sample pack of formula and you keep stamping like a toddler and insiting on LYING by claiming I am callingg any woman who uses formula samples weak.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I was just in the hospital, and my baby was chomping the crap out of me by nursing every hour. I asked the nurse why there wasn't a pacifier in the supply drawer of my baby's bassinet. She said it was because the hospital is pro-nursing, and as such they ended their partnership with Similac, who would provide pacifiers as well as diaper bags and free samples. The nurse mentioned nipple confusion, but it was clear that she didn't believe that to be a real problem. I bought a pack of newborn binkies the day we got home. We're all a lot happier for it. I'm 100% breastfeeding, but I was surprised to see this at the hospital where I delivered. 

Besides, I got a coupon for $12 off a container of Gerber formula in the mail yesterday. I don't think the formula people are going to hurt that badly. Maybe they can take the money they were spending on marketing materials and use it to reduce the cost of the formula itself. 

shadenn766
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM

i agree 100%, i also tired of the fight between bf moms and bottle moms, just feed the frigging baby

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I really don't care if formula is, or is not, in the hospitals.  I care more about a woman having the choice to BF or not and no one getting in her face for her choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)