Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NYPD bills mom for dent in car that killed son

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:41 PM
  • 84 Replies
The mother of a man who was struck by a New York City police department car during a chase says cops want her to pay $710 to have the car repaired, New York Daily News reports.

Tamon Robinson, 27, was killed in April around dawn after he tried to outrun officers who were chasing him through his Brooklyn housing project. He was fleeing after being caught stealing decorative stones from the grounds, police said.

Now his mom, Laverne Dobbinson, 45, says she's been ordered to pay the cost of repairing the police car that killed her son, the paper reports.

"We're still grieving, and this is like a slap in the face," Dobbinson said."They want my son to pay for damage to the vehicle that killed him. It's crazy."

A letter dated Sept. 27 and mailed to her son seeks $710 for "property damage to a vehicle owned by the New York Police Department," according to New York Daily News. It also threatens to slap the family with a lawsuit if the claim isn't paid.

After being hit by the squad car, Robinson slipped into a coma and never regained consciousness, dying six days later of blunt impact head injuries.The city medical examiner ruled his death an accident.

At the time, Robinson worked at a muffin shop but also tried to make extra money hawking items, including paving stones to scrap dealers, his mother told the paper.

The police department's Internal Affairs Bureau is probing allegations from witnesses that Robinson was deliberately mowed down.

An NYPD spokesman did not return a call or e-mail from the paper seeking comment

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1616197?preferredArticleViewMode=single
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Thats insane.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Innocent until proven guilty...
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM
5 moms liked this

I remember another story similar to this one.  If only I could remember the details.

This may sound crass........if the man had not been doing what he was, the police would not have had to chase him nor would he have been hit by the vehicle had he not been attempting to evade the police.

He caused the situation.  

tessaloveof3
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

So he allegedly committed a crime and shouldn't have to pay for the damage he cause if he did commit it?

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM
3 moms liked this

He got himself in to the situation, yes.

However, I think it is pretty disgusting that the police are trying to bill the mother.  Did they REALLY need to chase him down to that extent for decorative stones?  I hope the judge tosses this out...the boys death could be as much to blame on driver error as it could on his poor choices that day, IMO.

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM
3 moms liked this
He's deceased. He can't pay for it. Essentially, he payed for whatever he was allegedly doing with his life. That's the ultimate price. The NYPD should let this go IMO.

Quoting tessaloveof3:

So he allegedly committed a crime and shouldn't have to pay for the damage he cause if he did commit it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy430
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Why is she responsible for the damage? He was a grown man.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM
The young man brought this on himself. That's correct. However, his mother had nothing to do with that. I don't think that they needed to chase him around with a car for stealing decorative stones. The man's death could be blamed on poor driving skills.

Anyhow, the NYPD should drop this. If they don't, I hope a judge throws it out. This is unnecessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tessaloveof3
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

That is a really easy thing to say if you don't live there.   Do you live there and have to pay taxes to pay for insurance on these cars or their repairs?

Quoting AdellesMom:

He's deceased. He can't pay for it. Essentially, he payed for whatever he was allegedly doing with his life. That's the ultimate price. The NYPD should let this go IMO.

Quoting tessaloveof3:

melissam78
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but years ago I thought something was passed so that if a cop was entering into a high speed chase that it would halt because of too many fatalities.I think this is very sad and my heart goes out to this mother who lost her son
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)