Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

O/T Some yahoo crashed up my car :( UPDATED

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM
  • 43 Replies

He pulled directly into the side of my car while I was in a parking lot.  My 4yo was in the car with me...we are both OK but sore.

Lets see, how to make this a discussion other than a blatant bid for sympathy...

If you have had damage to your car, how do you feel about the way your insurance handled it?

Update 10/9: So they did not total my car, they are looking to write me a check.  Though they said my $500 deductible was "waived," they are assessing me $500 for my "fault" in the accident.  It was "mostly" the other guys fault, and apparently $500 worth of my fault.  I smell BS.  

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh. That is terrible. You shouldn't have to worry about your insurance. Their insurance should cover everything. You just need to go get an independent estimate at your dealership then submit it to their insurance. They should cut you a check. 

And yes, this kind of thing has happened to me. More than once :(

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Oh no. I hope you are both OK.

No recent experience with an insurance company-

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Oh my goodness. 

I am so glad you two are okay.  

I was hit, on the passenger side, doing 20 and the jackass came barreling out of a parking lot.  Almost pushed my little car over.  My ex husband was smashed in the car, the passenger door pushed him towards me.

I got out of the car and went off on the guy, leaving my then husband in the car. lol

My kid's car seats where in the back and the thought that they could have been in the car set me off and I didn't stop until the police arrived.  His license plate was stuck on my damn door.

As for the insurance, the car was inoperable.  They paid me $1500 for the car. It didn't take long at all, which surprised me.  I had the check within 7 days.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Also, I am glad you and your son are ok :)

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

This happened in my husband's work parking lot last year. The guy gave my husband his insurance information and it started out well. Then the idiot decided he didn't want to pay any fee for hitting my husband's and my car, so we got an angry voicemail from the idiot's local insurance company, saying we were'nt getting a dime. So my husband called up our insurance and they took care of it. I'm glad you're both alright.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Yes, they should.  They already told me that my deductible would probably be waived and that they would probably total it, since both doors and the front and back panels were damaged on the passenger side.

But we shall see.  I had a fire claim on a business several years ago and it was nothing but a nightmare to work with insurance.  I've never claimed on car insurance, though.

Quoting NWP:

Ugh. That is terrible. You shouldn't have to worry about your insurance. Their insurance should cover everything. You just need to go get an independent estimate at your dealership then submit it to their insurance. They should cut you a check. 

nb34
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Oh, I am sorry. I am glad you are both OK. Be careful and watch for any signs of neck and back injury. Those don't seem like much at first but they can be really debilitating if gone untreated. DH got rear ended two years ago and he is still doing treatment for his neck injury. I don't mean to scare you, just caution you.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM

My goodness!  Scary.  I couldn't have been going more than like 5 mph.  I pulled out of the parking space, went like 5 or 6 spaces down the lane and BAM.  My car just doesn't accelerate that fast, so I freaked when I saw the damage.  I thought if anything it would be a dent and a scrape, but it's pretty bad.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Oh my goodness. 

I am so glad you two are okay.  

I was hit, on the passenger side, doing 20 and the jackass came barreling out of a parking lot.  Almost pushed my little car over.  My ex husband was smashed in the car, the passenger door pushed him towards me.

I got out of the car and went off on the guy, leaving my then husband in the car. lol

My kid's car seats where in the back and the thought that they could have been in the car set me off and I didn't stop until the police arrived.  His license plate was stuck on my damn door.

As for the insurance, the car was inoperable.  They paid me $1500 for the car. It didn't take long at all, which surprised me.  I had the check within 7 days.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

We are OK, already been to the doc.  

Quoting Sisteract:

Oh no. I hope you are both OK.

No recent experience with an insurance company-

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I Have had bad luck with accidents (never my fault, really!) and good luck with care insurance. You SHOULD NOT claim this on YOUR insurance!

Theirs should cover everything...you should not be out one penny and should not worry about any deductible on your end.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yes, they should.  They already told me that my deductible would probably be waived and that they would probably total it, since both doors and the front and back panels were damaged on the passenger side.

But we shall see.  I had a fire claim on a business several years ago and it was nothing but a nightmare to work with insurance.  I've never claimed on car insurance, though.

Quoting NWP:

New World Peace

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)