Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

O/T Some yahoo crashed up my car :( UPDATED

Posted by   + Show Post

He pulled directly into the side of my car while I was in a parking lot.  My 4yo was in the car with me...we are both OK but sore.

Lets see, how to make this a discussion other than a blatant bid for sympathy...

If you have had damage to your car, how do you feel about the way your insurance handled it?

Update 10/9: So they did not total my car, they are looking to write me a check.  Though they said my $500 deductible was "waived," they are assessing me $500 for my "fault" in the accident.  It was "mostly" the other guys fault, and apparently $500 worth of my fault.  I smell BS.  

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM

She's a girl.  :) But yes we are fine.

Quoting NWP:

Also, I am glad you and your son are ok :)

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

When we exchanged info we found out we both had the same insurance company, lol.

Quoting Euphoric:

This happened in my husband's work parking lot last year. The guy gave my husband his insurance information and it started out well. Then the idiot decided he didn't want to pay any fee for hitting my husband's and my car, so we got an angry voicemail from the idiot's local insurance company, saying we were'nt getting a dime. So my husband called up our insurance and they took care of it. I'm glad you're both alright.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL...sorry about that

Quoting stacymomof2:

She's a girl.  :) But yes we are fine.

Quoting NWP:

Also, I am glad you and your son are ok :)

New World Peace

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Yes, I am aware...my mom got rear ended, it was years of treatment that finally culminated in fusing her neck and permanent disability.  She fought the surgery for years but she was just really injured badly.  Then after her surgery she was unable to work without pain, and finally had to give it up after trying for 2 years.

We went to the doc, hopefully the soreness will go away, right now I feel it getting worse.  I will wake up sore tomorrow I bet.  My baby girl seems OK, the doc couldn't find anything wrong.

Quoting nb34:

Oh, I am sorry. I am glad you are both OK. Be careful and watch for any signs of neck and back injury. Those don't seem like much at first but they can be really debilitating if gone untreated. DH got rear ended two years ago and he is still doing treatment for his neck injury. I don't mean to scare you, just caution you.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

We have the same insurance company.  I don't really understand how it works, actually.  I certainly am not going to pay any damn deductible...screw that!

I will be careful before cashing any checks!

Quoting NWP:

I Have had bad luck with accidents (never my fault, really!) and good luck with care insurance. You SHOULD NOT claim this on YOUR insurance!

Theirs should cover everything...you should not be out one penny and should not worry about any deductible on your end.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yes, they should.  They already told me that my deductible would probably be waived and that they would probably total it, since both doors and the front and back panels were damaged on the passenger side.

But we shall see.  I had a fire claim on a business several years ago and it was nothing but a nightmare to work with insurance.  I've never claimed on car insurance, though.

Quoting NWP:

Ugh. That is terrible. You shouldn't have to worry about your insurance. Their insurance should cover everything. You just need to go get an independent estimate at your dealership then submit it to their insurance. They should cut you a check. 

And yes, this kind of thing has happened to me. More than once :(

lga1965
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Oh I'm sorry!

Twice I have been rear-ended by idiots and their insurance paid everything since it was their fault. I hated that they "hurt my car" . I was fine except for bruised ribs from the seat belt but my poor car was hurt.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

It matters whose policy the funds are credited with. If it goes on yours, your premiums will go up. Make sure nothing comes out of your policy. The driver at fault should take the entire hit, including the increase in the premiums that will follow the claim.

Quoting stacymomof2:

We have the same insurance company.  I don't really understand how it works, actually.  I certainly am not going to pay any damn deductible...screw that!

Quoting NWP:

I Have had bad luck with accidents (never my fault, really!) and good luck with care insurance. You SHOULD NOT claim this on YOUR insurance!

Theirs should cover everything...you should not be out one penny and should not worry about any deductible on your end.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yes, they should.  They already told me that my deductible would probably be waived and that they would probably total it, since both doors and the front and back panels were damaged on the passenger side.

But we shall see.  I had a fire claim on a business several years ago and it was nothing but a nightmare to work with insurance.  I've never claimed on car insurance, though.

Quoting NWP:

Ugh. That is terrible. You shouldn't have to worry about your insurance. Their insurance should cover everything. You just need to go get an independent estimate at your dealership then submit it to their insurance. They should cut you a check. 

New World Peace

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about my car.  It was a perfect little sedan with low miles and it has been garaged since it was new.  I take good care of it, and I own it outright.  It runs like a dream, it was in perfect condition.  I don't want to mess around looking for another used car with problems, and I certainly will not be able to afford a brand new one.  I liked my little car!  :(

Quoting lga1965:

Oh I'm sorry!

Twice I have been rear-ended by idiots and their insurance paid everything since it was their fault. I hated that they "hurt my car" . I was fine except for bruised ribs from the seat belt but my poor car was hurt.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Good advice...thanks!

Quoting NWP:

It matters whose policy the funds are credited with. If it goes on yours, your premiums will go up. Make sure nothing comes out of your policy. The driver at fault should take the entire hit, including the increase in the premiums that will follow the claim.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting NWP:

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Aw man, I'm so glad you're okay! We recently had our two sports cars smashed up by the moving company we hired, almost to the tune of $10,000 in damage between the two of them. Our insurance is covering it and going after THEM for us to recoup the money!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)