Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

O/T Some yahoo crashed up my car :( UPDATED

Posted by   + Show Post

He pulled directly into the side of my car while I was in a parking lot.  My 4yo was in the car with me...we are both OK but sore.

Lets see, how to make this a discussion other than a blatant bid for sympathy...

If you have had damage to your car, how do you feel about the way your insurance handled it?

Update 10/9: So they did not total my car, they are looking to write me a check.  Though they said my $500 deductible was "waived," they are assessing me $500 for my "fault" in the accident.  It was "mostly" the other guys fault, and apparently $500 worth of my fault.  I smell BS.  

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I totalled my first car my senior year of high school.  My dad dealt with the insurance and they covered it even though I wasn't on his policy.  However we only got about 1/2 of what the car was worth because the odometer said 212,000 miles even though we had rebuilt the car and a majority of it was new or had less than 60,000 miles on it.  When I got rear ended the following summer it wasn't my fault at all and insurance took a while but they covered a new back door for my car. 

My ex was in an accident the following year (we were dating at the time of the accident)   in the parking lot where we worked and  the guy who hit hims insurance didn't cover anything because it happened in a privat parking lot.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I know this because three times my car has been hit by uninsured drivers or hit and run. Twice, in order to get the car fixed, I had to claim it on my insurance and both times my premiums went up even though it wasn't my fault. This last time, the damage was minimal, so I am driving with a busted bumper. It is going to be cheaper in the long run to just pay myself if I don't locate the hit and run driver.

When I have been hit with a driver who has insurance, my insurance has never even had to be involved...so no premium increase and a nice check.

Good luck.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Good advice...thanks!

Quoting NWP:

It matters whose policy the funds are credited with. If it goes on yours, your premiums will go up. Make sure nothing comes out of your policy. The driver at fault should take the entire hit, including the increase in the premiums that will follow the claim.

Quoting stacymomof2:

We have the same insurance company.  I don't really understand how it works, actually.  I certainly am not going to pay any damn deductible...screw that!

I will be careful before cashing any checks!

Quoting NWP:

I Have had bad luck with accidents (never my fault, really!) and good luck with care insurance. You SHOULD NOT claim this on YOUR insurance!

Theirs should cover everything...you should not be out one penny and should not worry about any deductible on your end.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yes, they should.  They already told me that my deductible would probably be waived and that they would probably total it, since both doors and the front and back panels were damaged on the passenger side.

But we shall see.  I had a fire claim on a business several years ago and it was nothing but a nightmare to work with insurance.  I've never claimed on car insurance, though.

Quoting NWP:

Ugh. That is terrible. You shouldn't have to worry about your insurance. Their insurance should cover everything. You just need to go get an independent estimate at your dealership then submit it to their insurance. They should cut you a check. 

And yes, this kind of thing has happened to me. More than once :(

New World Peace

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Glad you're both okay!
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Also make sure you get an independent estimate from a dealership. If the same insurance company handles both of you, they may try to short you....Just sayin'...Get your own estimate.

_Kissy_
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Oh that sucks. Glad you 2 are OK!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stacymomof2:

My goodness!  Scary.  I couldn't have been going more than like 5 mph.  I pulled out of the parking space, went like 5 or 6 spaces down the lane and BAM.  My car just doesn't accelerate that fast, so I freaked when I saw the damage.  I thought if anything it would be a dent and a scrape, but it's pretty bad.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Oh my goodness. 

I am so glad you two are okay.  

I was hit, on the passenger side, doing 20 and the jackass came barreling out of a parking lot.  Almost pushed my little car over.  My ex husband was smashed in the car, the passenger door pushed him towards me.

I got out of the car and went off on the guy, leaving my then husband in the car. lol

My kid's car seats where in the back and the thought that they could have been in the car set me off and I didn't stop until the police arrived.  His license plate was stuck on my damn door.

As for the insurance, the car was inoperable.  They paid me $1500 for the car. It didn't take long at all, which surprised me.  I had the check within 7 days.

I agree, don't claim this on YOUR insurance.

I'm so sorry this happened.  It is frightening and frustrating.

I am just so glad you guys are okay.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Im sorry. Im glad you guys are ok, though.

ilovecandy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM

thats awful. my insuracne companies have handled things wonderfully when weve been hit before

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, alhamdullillah.  :)  

(Can you tell I hang around with an Egyptian...al hamdullilla and insha allah are the highest frequency words at my house, lol)

Quoting muslimahpj:

Im sorry. Im glad you guys are ok, though.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Thanks!  We are good.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Oh that sucks. Glad you 2 are OK!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)