Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama: "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote  Like Reply to Post

President Obama, speaking in Virginia, said, "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

"This country doesn't just succeed when just a few are doing well at the top. It succeeds when the middle class gets bigger. Our economy doesn't grow from the top down -- it grows from the middle out. We don't believe that anybody is entitled to success in this country," said Obama. "But we do believe in opportunity. We believe in a country where hard work pays off and responsibility is rewarded, and everybody is getting a fair shot and everybody is doing their fair share and everybody is playing by the same rules."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-we-dont-believe-anybody-entitled-success-country_653749.html

grandma B

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Replies (271-272):
viv212
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Oh! My apologies 😊

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting viv212:

You merely posted an article supporting your post... In which you said the majority of people on PA don't vote. Then you post an article to back it up saying that minorities are voting more. You also said in a couple posts up that there are more people on PA than in previous years. Do your own math.

The article also said by the way that more people in all races turned out more for voting.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

That's racism at its best though. It Ian not saying the number of people on PA voted just that the younger generation and more minorities did.

Minorities aren't always on PA, In fact a lot of them are decently well off, as the same with younger voters. Because they actually genuinely care about what happens to the gov't that they'll have to live with(dems and republicans).

Know what you're talking about next time you try to disprove me with your ignorance.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

You should've known it was a forbyour previous reply of mine (I know I expected too much from you).

I told you where I got my findings from, I already did my research 5 years ago and aced my project.

How about you stand by your republican beliefs and do things yourself?

And just because I proved you wrong doesn't mean I'm a jerk, as I'm sure you would hate everyone you came in contact with on a daily basis if that was the case.

Thank you for the giggles though. Nice attempts to make "digs" like I actually give a shit about what you say.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

Alzheimer's hitting ya already? To your how do I know pa users mainly don't vote comment.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

Researching statistics for COLLEGE classes going back to Bush Sr. all the way to Bush Jr.(he was in office at the time).

It's a well known fact that most people on PA are poorly educated, hence why they are on it to begin with (not including ssi or disability).

Not only that the state's with the highest PA rates are mainly red states.

What is this in reply to?

Another intelligent answer...not.  If you're going to answer someone's quote, you should "quote" it.   Instead of being a smart ass, you could have done a little online search and shown a link to support your answer.  But, I'm sure it's easier to just be a jerk, than to show some proof to back up your claim.

And, I'm telling you, again, those statistics don't mean anything now.  Because that was before Obama, it doesn't hold true now.  So take your smart ass remarks and shove them, as they say, where the sun don't shine.  From the Institute for Southern Studies:

Election 2008: Minority and youth voting surged in the 2008 election, according to a new Project Vote analysis

The United States saw dramatic increases in the number of ballots cast by traditionally underrepresented groups, according to an analysis released last week by Project Vote.

In The Demographics of Voters in America's 2008 General Election: A Preliminary Assessment, Project Vote offers a preliminary assessment that 2008 saw a huge surge minority and youth voting. Votes cast by minorities in 2008 increased 21 percent from 2004 while votes cast by whites declined slightly. Votes cast in 2008 by young Americans, ages 18-29, increased by 9 percent from 2004.

From the Project Vote Blog:

Countering the conventional wisdom that voter turnout on November 4 did not change as dramatically as predicted, Project Vote's new analysis demonstrates that African-Americans, Latinos, and young voters cast millions more ballots in 2008 than in 2004.

"The analysis estimated that about 5.8 million more minorities voted in this year's presidential election than in 2004, while nearly 1.2 million fewer whites went to the polls," wrote Greg Gordon of McClatchy Newspapers. "The figures appear to reflect the success of Project Vote and other liberal voter registration groups in registering millions of young, poor, elderly and minority Americans to vote in recent election cycles."

According to study, African-Americans cast nearly three million more ballots nationwide in 2008 than in 2004--an increase of 21 percent. The total votes cast by Latinos went up by sixteen percent--more than 1.5 million--and young Americans aged 18-29 cast 1.8 million more votes, a nine percent increase. That the overall number of ballots cast did not increase significantly compared to 2004 was in part due to a decrease in voting by white voters.

According to the analysis:

In most cases these increases were met with decreases in total ballots cast by white voters, and in the case where total ballots cast for white voters did increase, the gains in ballots cast by non-white voters increased at a much higher rate. Florida is the only state in our analysis where the increase in ballots cast by white voters from 2004 to 2008 was higher than the increase in ballots cast by non-white voters. That said, the rate of growth of the white vote in Florida is half that for non-white voters. While total ballots cast by new voters increased by 3 percent in the U.S., so did the growth rate for those who have voted previously. Of the states in this analysis, only in Nevada and New Mexico did new voters cast significantly more ballots than people who have voted previously.

Where the hell did you get racism from?  Are you calling me a racist?  Where did I or the article mention anything about people on PA?  I merely posted an article supporting my post.  You really need help...you keep grasping at straws and creating stuff out of thin air.  You should really call the nearest psychologist or psychiatrist in your area, and make an appointment immediately.  Get a grip woman. 

Go back a couple of your posts.  The person you asked for statistics on people on PA not voting was not me.  It was awifey.  She is the one who made that statement.   I know that this has been a long post, but you must be confusing me with someone else.  I have said absolutely nothing about people on PA, nor is there any mention of people on PA in the article.  It talks about minorities and the young, college age voters...period.  Awifey took minority and interpreted it, apparently, to mean people on PA.  Who knows, that woman has serious anger issues and comprehension problems.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Quoting viv212:

Oh! My apologies 😊

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting viv212:

You merely posted an article supporting your post... In which you said the majority of people on PA don't vote. Then you post an article to back it up saying that minorities are voting more. You also said in a couple posts up that there are more people on PA than in previous years. Do your own math.

The article also said by the way that more people in all races turned out more for voting.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

That's racism at its best though. It Ian not saying the number of people on PA voted just that the younger generation and more minorities did.

Minorities aren't always on PA, In fact a lot of them are decently well off, as the same with younger voters. Because they actually genuinely care about what happens to the gov't that they'll have to live with(dems and republicans).

Know what you're talking about next time you try to disprove me with your ignorance.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

You should've known it was a forbyour previous reply of mine (I know I expected too much from you).

I told you where I got my findings from, I already did my research 5 years ago and aced my project.

How about you stand by your republican beliefs and do things yourself?

And just because I proved you wrong doesn't mean I'm a jerk, as I'm sure you would hate everyone you came in contact with on a daily basis if that was the case.

Thank you for the giggles though. Nice attempts to make "digs" like I actually give a shit about what you say.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

Alzheimer's hitting ya already? To your how do I know pa users mainly don't vote comment.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

Researching statistics for COLLEGE classes going back to Bush Sr. all the way to Bush Jr.(he was in office at the time).

It's a well known fact that most people on PA are poorly educated, hence why they are on it to begin with (not including ssi or disability).

Not only that the state's with the highest PA rates are mainly red states.

What is this in reply to?

Another intelligent answer...not.  If you're going to answer someone's quote, you should "quote" it.   Instead of being a smart ass, you could have done a little online search and shown a link to support your answer.  But, I'm sure it's easier to just be a jerk, than to show some proof to back up your claim.

And, I'm telling you, again, those statistics don't mean anything now.  Because that was before Obama, it doesn't hold true now.  So take your smart ass remarks and shove them, as they say, where the sun don't shine.  From the Institute for Southern Studies:

Election 2008: Minority and youth voting surged in the 2008 election, according to a new Project Vote analysis

The United States saw dramatic increases in the number of ballots cast by traditionally underrepresented groups, according to an analysis released last week by Project Vote.

In The Demographics of Voters in America's 2008 General Election: A Preliminary Assessment, Project Vote offers a preliminary assessment that 2008 saw a huge surge minority and youth voting. Votes cast by minorities in 2008 increased 21 percent from 2004 while votes cast by whites declined slightly. Votes cast in 2008 by young Americans, ages 18-29, increased by 9 percent from 2004.

From the Project Vote Blog:

Countering the conventional wisdom that voter turnout on November 4 did not change as dramatically as predicted, Project Vote's new analysis demonstrates that African-Americans, Latinos, and young voters cast millions more ballots in 2008 than in 2004.

"The analysis estimated that about 5.8 million more minorities voted in this year's presidential election than in 2004, while nearly 1.2 million fewer whites went to the polls," wrote Greg Gordon of McClatchy Newspapers. "The figures appear to reflect the success of Project Vote and other liberal voter registration groups in registering millions of young, poor, elderly and minority Americans to vote in recent election cycles."

According to study, African-Americans cast nearly three million more ballots nationwide in 2008 than in 2004--an increase of 21 percent. The total votes cast by Latinos went up by sixteen percent--more than 1.5 million--and young Americans aged 18-29 cast 1.8 million more votes, a nine percent increase. That the overall number of ballots cast did not increase significantly compared to 2004 was in part due to a decrease in voting by white voters.

According to the analysis:

In most cases these increases were met with decreases in total ballots cast by white voters, and in the case where total ballots cast for white voters did increase, the gains in ballots cast by non-white voters increased at a much higher rate. Florida is the only state in our analysis where the increase in ballots cast by white voters from 2004 to 2008 was higher than the increase in ballots cast by non-white voters. That said, the rate of growth of the white vote in Florida is half that for non-white voters. While total ballots cast by new voters increased by 3 percent in the U.S., so did the growth rate for those who have voted previously. Of the states in this analysis, only in Nevada and New Mexico did new voters cast significantly more ballots than people who have voted previously.

Where the hell did you get racism from?  Are you calling me a racist?  Where did I or the article mention anything about people on PA?  I merely posted an article supporting my post.  You really need help...you keep grasping at straws and creating stuff out of thin air.  You should really call the nearest psychologist or psychiatrist in your area, and make an appointment immediately.  Get a grip woman. 

Go back a couple of your posts.  The person you asked for statistics on people on PA not voting was not me.  It was awifey.  She is the one who made that statement.   I know that this has been a long post, but you must be confusing me with someone else.  I have said absolutely nothing about people on PA, nor is there any mention of people on PA in the article.  It talks about minorities and the young, college age voters...period.  Awifey took minority and interpreted it, apparently, to mean people on PA.  Who knows, that woman has serious anger issues and comprehension problems.

That's OK.  I can understand why you might have gotten confused.

grandma B

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)