Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama: "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote  Like Reply to Post

President Obama, speaking in Virginia, said, "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

"This country doesn't just succeed when just a few are doing well at the top. It succeeds when the middle class gets bigger. Our economy doesn't grow from the top down -- it grows from the middle out. We don't believe that anybody is entitled to success in this country," said Obama. "But we do believe in opportunity. We believe in a country where hard work pays off and responsibility is rewarded, and everybody is getting a fair shot and everybody is doing their fair share and everybody is playing by the same rules."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-we-dont-believe-anybody-entitled-success-country_653749.html

grandma B

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Replies (181-190):
lga1965
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM
3 moms liked this

You have to EARN your success through education and hard work. You are not entitled to success ....you can't automatically have success without hard work and education. THAT is what Obama said and what conservatives ...and all the rest of us....have been saying for years. You are entitled to OPPORTUNITIES, But if you don't make use of opportunities, you won't achieve success . Education , ambition, honesty and a sense of personal responsibility are all necessary ingredients in our lives that help us  recognize and use  opportunities.

one_on_the_way
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I sure the hell HOPE he didn't say "I was wrong to say how I feel".  From what I've read, he said "I was wrong".  Which, I take to believe he doesn't feel that way.  (though, I know he does -- he was just saying he was wrong for 'damage control')

While it sickens me that there are people who make a career out of welfare, it is not 47% of Americans.  To take the few who don't set goals (and, let's look at who those people are....and why they don't set goals) and who are content to rely on the government the rest of their lives....and, in turn, believe those people define the 47% of people who currently aren't earning enough to actually pay taxes, is off base.    

People here are getting bent out of shape that Obama says "nobody is entitled to success", yet seemed completely fine with Romney criticizing people who feel entitled to housing, food, and healthcare.  So, people are entitled to success, but not entitled to basic survival?  Is there a difference?  If so, what?

I mean, Romney basically says "People are not entitled to food, housing and healthcare" and Republicans are like "Yeah, that's right!  Who the hell do those people think they are?!?"

And then Obama says "Nobody is entitled to success." and Republicans are like "He has no clue what he's talking about.....how dare he say people aren't entitled to success!  Of course they are."

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He said he was wrong to say it. Never said he didn't feel that way. And if you pay attention to the comment, he expresses a lot of the frustration many feel. I think he was a tad out of touch bit he generally understood. Why should the government keep passing out money to people content working minimum wage, part time jobs, or not working at all, with no goals in place to better themselves? And don't spew me some garbage about how that doesn't happen because there are people who have made welfare an occupation at the expense of everyone else and that is fucking wrong

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Well, on the 47%, he first stood by it.....and then said he was wrong.  So, whatever prompted it, he was wrong.  He said so himself.  (only after he saw how his comment was hurting his campaign)

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He does, and if you'd spend less time arguing on cafemom and more paying attention when the candidates speak and act, you would know this. Anybody know WHY he wants to stop funding pbs? Anybody know what prompted the 47% comment? And what flip flipping has he done? Cuz lord knows Obama has done his fair share.

Quoting Iconoclast:

Shut the back door!  Mitt wants to do all of that?  He really should tell people instead of talking about getting rid of PBS or flip-flopping or disrespecting the 47%.  Yeah, talking about the real issues and explaining what he plans on doing to handle those issues, that could help him. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Hmmmm he wants to give states rights over their money and laws so that they can better assess they're individual situations for their citizens. He wants to remove funding of certain things so that taxes can be lowered or rearranged to more appropriate places. He is actually the one who brought up loop holes and closing them, not Obama. BTW if Obama was so concerned about the loopholes don't you think he would have done something about it by now? He's had four years after all. Oh wait, he was too busy pissing away our tax dollars on things that don't matter ex: failed energy corps. air force one trips for golf and vacations, michelles 22 personal assistants..... But he cares about you.

As far as avoiding questions, Mitt answers the questions he is given pretty directly, popular or not.... Obama can barely form an answer. Of course its hard to talk about something you know nothing about.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Oh please...you're as good at avoiding direct questions as dear old Mitt.

No, it is important to speak about it now.  Sorry, Obama wanting the "upper class" to pay taxes without the benefit of loop holes is not disregard.

The fact that Romney has expressed sheer disdain towards anyone who is remotely middle or lower class should be discussed, as it is a good way of measuring how we will be treated during his presidency.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

When Romney is president we can talk about that.

And I'm not sure how he can hate them when every plan he has come up with helps the middle and lower class, he just isn't penalizing the upper class by helping the lower class.

Quoting katzmeow726:

So does Romney's blatant disregard for the  middle, and absolute hatred of the lower class sicken you as well?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I understand what he's saying, but his blatent disreguard for the upper class sickens me. He's supposed to be everyone's president.

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL!

That must mean that you don't know what you're talking about either. I've seen you parade around CM saying that no one is entitled to anything. But, when Obama says it, it's all bad. He's wrong and he doesn't know what he's talking about. In your eyes, Obama is wrong even when he's right.

I smell hypocrisy.

Quoting motherslove82:

Proof that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
He's right. No one is entitled to success.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Let me ask you this. Who have you heard say "give me success" " I demand success"? People may think they are entitled to school, food, water, health care...but I have never heard any one say they are entitled to success. So what would be his motive for saying this?

I also have zero problem with people receiving government assistance when they need it, so I have no idea how I parade around here saying no one is entitled to anything.

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

That must mean that you don't know what you're talking about either. I've seen you parade around CM saying that no one is entitled to anything. But, when Obama says it, it's all bad. He's wrong and he doesn't know what he's talking about. In your eyes, Obama is wrong even when he's right.

I smell hypocrisy.

Quoting motherslove82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Nice job at deflection in your first paragraph. To answer your question, I haven't heard anyone say that. However, I have seen the attitude portrayed in people that I don't know. There are people that think they deserve any and everything no matter what.

For example, I was watching a 48 Hours episode where a man was killed because he had a successful business. His child, who had contributed nothing to the business, wanted the father to hand the business over to them when their father retired. Well, daddy said no. They erroneously thought that his death would mean that they'd get the business. Anyhow, they thought that they were entitled to success even though they hasn't earned it.

I've seen you post that no one is entitled to anything. They were your words, not mine.

All Obama is saying is that you have to work if you want to be successful. The word "entitled" means that one wants something regardless of if they deserve it or not.

Quoting motherslove82:

Let me ask you this. Who have you heard say "give me success" " I demand success"? People may think they are entitled to school, food, water, health care...but I have never heard any one say they are entitled to success. So what would be his motive for saying this?

I also have zero problem with people receiving government assistance when they need it, so I have no idea how I parade around here saying no one is entitled to anything.

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

I smell hypocrisy.

Quoting motherslove82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm realizing this is a lost cause, but I will give it one more shot....

In the context he was speaking.....'entitled' = 'given' (as in, NOT earned).....Nobody is given success.  

If you work for it.....it was not GIVEN to you.  It was EARNED by you.  Therefore, it is yours -- but not because you are entitled to it....but because you EARNED it.  

I really don't know how much more clear that can be.

Quoting motherslove82:

He said nobody is entitled to success. If you work for it you are.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

So, the part where he says "we do believe in opportunity. We believe in a country where hard work pays off and responsibility is rewarded.." doesn't mean anything?

Where did he say 'nobody is entitled to their earned paycheck' or 'nobody is entitled to their earned benefits'?  (hint:  nowhere did he say that)

I really do not understand your interpretation of what he said as being 'proof he doesn't know what he's talking about'.  I don't think HE doesn't know what he's talking about -- I think you want to make what he's talking about into something completely different.  

If anyone believes someone is 'entitled to success', well, they will have a rude awakening.  Success requires hard work.  Nobody is entitled to it.  They earn it.  Once you complete that hard work, and find your own personal success, yes you are entitled to the benefits that go along with that success.  Being entitled to YOUR OWN success is one thing.  Being entitled to success in general, is another. 

Quoting motherslove82:

What he said is that nobody is entitled to success. Not that nobody was entitled to success unless they work for it.

Entitled means deserving. If you work all week, you are entitled to a paycheck. If you work hard and build a company, you are entitled to the benefits of that.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

But, he did not say "we don't believe anybody is entitled to their success"....in which case, your interpretation would make more sense.  He was saying that success is not something that is just handed to people because they have a 'right' to it.  It must be earned.

Entitled does not mean 'earned'.  People who work hard for their success were not 'entitled' to it -- they 'earned' it.  Do you not see the difference?

My guess is that if a Republican said the exact same words, I bet you'd 'get it'. 

Quoting motherslove82:

He said nobody is entitled to success, which could include the ones who work for it.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting motherslove82:

You think people are ENTITLED to success?  If they are, it pretty much takes away any reason for any person to feel proud of their success.  Being entitled to something means you don't have to do anything to get it -- it is just given to you.  

Is that what you think?

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM
You are not entitled to any of those things....success, housing etc. You're not. You have to work for those things. But so many people feel like they don't have to. And I agree that he was off base, but I understand what he meant. They've both said stupid things.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I sure the hell HOPE he didn't say "I was wrong to say how I feel".  From what I've read, he said "I was wrong".  Which, I take to believe he doesn't feel that way.  (though, I know he does -- he was just saying he was wrong for 'damage control')

While it sickens me that there are people who make a career out of welfare, it is not 47% of Americans.  To take the few who don't set goals (and, let's look at who those people are....and why they don't set goals) and who are content to rely on the government the rest of their lives....and, in turn, believe those people define the 47% of people who currently aren't earning enough to actually pay taxes, is off base.    

People here are getting bent out of shape that Obama says "nobody is entitled to success", yet seemed completely fine with Romney criticizing people who feel entitled to housing, food, and healthcare.  So, people are entitled to success, but not entitled to basic survival?  Is there a difference?  If so, what?

I mean, Romney basically says "People are not entitled to food, housing and healthcare" and Republicans are like "Yeah, that's right!  Who the hell do those people think they are?!?"

And then Obama says "Nobody is entitled to success." and Republicans are like "He has no clue what he's talking about.....how dare he say people aren't entitled to success!  Of course they are."

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He said he was wrong to say it. Never said he didn't feel that way. And if you pay attention to the comment, he expresses a lot of the frustration many feel. I think he was a tad out of touch bit he generally understood. Why should the government keep passing out money to people content working minimum wage, part time jobs, or not working at all, with no goals in place to better themselves? And don't spew me some garbage about how that doesn't happen because there are people who have made welfare an occupation at the expense of everyone else and that is fucking wrong

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Well, on the 47%, he first stood by it.....and then said he was wrong.  So, whatever prompted it, he was wrong.  He said so himself.  (only after he saw how his comment was hurting his campaign)

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He does, and if you'd spend less time arguing on cafemom and more paying attention when the candidates speak and act, you would know this. Anybody know WHY he wants to stop funding pbs? Anybody know what prompted the 47% comment? And what flip flipping has he done? Cuz lord knows Obama has done his fair share.

Quoting Iconoclast:

Shut the back door!  Mitt wants to do all of that?  He really should tell people instead of talking about getting rid of PBS or flip-flopping or disrespecting the 47%.  Yeah, talking about the real issues and explaining what he plans on doing to handle those issues, that could help him. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Hmmmm he wants to give states rights over their money and laws so that they can better assess they're individual situations for their citizens. He wants to remove funding of certain things so that taxes can be lowered or rearranged to more appropriate places. He is actually the one who brought up loop holes and closing them, not Obama. BTW if Obama was so concerned about the loopholes don't you think he would have done something about it by now? He's had four years after all. Oh wait, he was too busy pissing away our tax dollars on things that don't matter ex: failed energy corps. air force one trips for golf and vacations, michelles 22 personal assistants..... But he cares about you.

As far as avoiding questions, Mitt answers the questions he is given pretty directly, popular or not.... Obama can barely form an answer. Of course its hard to talk about something you know nothing about.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Oh please...you're as good at avoiding direct questions as dear old Mitt.

No, it is important to speak about it now.  Sorry, Obama wanting the "upper class" to pay taxes without the benefit of loop holes is not disregard.

The fact that Romney has expressed sheer disdain towards anyone who is remotely middle or lower class should be discussed, as it is a good way of measuring how we will be treated during his presidency.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

When Romney is president we can talk about that.

And I'm not sure how he can hate them when every plan he has come up with helps the middle and lower class, he just isn't penalizing the upper class by helping the lower class.

Quoting katzmeow726:

So does Romney's blatant disregard for the  middle, and absolute hatred of the lower class sicken you as well?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I understand what he's saying, but his blatent disreguard for the upper class sickens me. He's supposed to be everyone's president.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Quoting AdellesMom:

Nice job at deflection in your first paragraph. To answer your question, I haven't heard anyone say that. However, I have seen the attitude portrayed in people that I don't know. There are people that think they deserve any and everything no matter what.

For example, I was watching a 48 Hours episode where a man was killed because he had a successful business. His child, who had contributed nothing to the business, wanted the father to hand the business over to them when their father retired. Well, daddy said no. They erroneously thought that his death would mean that they'd get the business. Anyhow, they thought that they were entitled to success even though they hasn't earned it.

I've seen you post that no one is entitled to anything. They were your words, not mine.

All Obama is saying is that you have to work if you want to be successful. The word "entitled" means that one wants something regardless of if they deserve it or not.

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

I smell hypocrisy.

Quoting motherslove82:

You do realize, don't you, that 48 Hours is a tv show in which each story is based on one individual case.  It is not a microcosm of people in general.

grandma B

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't either. But, their problem is that Obama dared to say something that they'd agree with if Romney had said it.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I'm realizing this is a lost cause, but I will give it one more shot....

In the context he was speaking.....'entitled' = 'given' (as in, NOT earned).....Nobody is given success.  

If you work for it.....it was not GIVEN to you.  It was EARNED by you.  Therefore, it is yours -- but not because you are entitled to it....but because you EARNED it.  

I really don't know how much more clear that can be.

Quoting motherslove82:

He said nobody is entitled to success. If you work for it you are.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

So, the part where he says "we do believe in opportunity. We believe in a country where hard work pays off and responsibility is rewarded.." doesn't mean anything?

Where did he say 'nobody is entitled to their earned paycheck' or 'nobody is entitled to their earned benefits'?  (hint:  nowhere did he say that)

I really do not understand your interpretation of what he said as being 'proof he doesn't know what he's talking about'.  I don't think HE doesn't know what he's talking about -- I think you want to make what he's talking about into something completely different.  

If anyone believes someone is 'entitled to success', well, they will have a rude awakening.  Success requires hard work.  Nobody is entitled to it.  They earn it.  Once you complete that hard work, and find your own personal success, yes you are entitled to the benefits that go along with that success.  Being entitled to YOUR OWN success is one thing.  Being entitled to success in general, is another. 

Quoting motherslove82:

What he said is that nobody is entitled to success. Not that nobody was entitled to success unless they work for it.

Entitled means deserving. If you work all week, you are entitled to a paycheck. If you work hard and build a company, you are entitled to the benefits of that.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

But, he did not say "we don't believe anybody is entitled to their success"....in which case, your interpretation would make more sense.  He was saying that success is not something that is just handed to people because they have a 'right' to it.  It must be earned.

Entitled does not mean 'earned'.  People who work hard for their success were not 'entitled' to it -- they 'earned' it.  Do you not see the difference?

My guess is that if a Republican said the exact same words, I bet you'd 'get it'. 

Quoting motherslove82:

He said nobody is entitled to success, which could include the ones who work for it.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting motherslove82:

You think people are ENTITLED to success?  If they are, it pretty much takes away any reason for any person to feel proud of their success.  Being entitled to something means you don't have to do anything to get it -- it is just given to you.  

Is that what you think?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)