Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama: "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote  Like Reply to Post

President Obama, speaking in Virginia, said, "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

"This country doesn't just succeed when just a few are doing well at the top. It succeeds when the middle class gets bigger. Our economy doesn't grow from the top down -- it grows from the middle out. We don't believe that anybody is entitled to success in this country," said Obama. "But we do believe in opportunity. We believe in a country where hard work pays off and responsibility is rewarded, and everybody is getting a fair shot and everybody is doing their fair share and everybody is playing by the same rules."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-we-dont-believe-anybody-entitled-success-country_653749.html

grandma B

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Replies (191-200):
Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wait..?? Did you just have the male pattern baldness to state that someone should stop arguing on CM?? o_O Do you happen to know where you are and what you are doing? Are your other personalities in charge tonight? Lol, dumbass!
Due9
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM

This is so wrong.

one_on_the_way
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:25 AM
3 moms liked this

That must be it.  The fact many of these same people are 'appalled' that Obama would say something like "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success".....are also 'appalled' that some people in our country "feel entitled to healthcare, housing and food"....doesn't make much sense to me.

Apparently, the "entitled" that Obama used means something different than the "entitled" that Romney used.  When Obama uses it, he is including even the people who EARN their success.  However, the "entitled" that Romney used means only people who believe it should be GIVEN to them.  

Strange.

Quoting AdellesMom:

I don't either. But, their problem is that Obama dared to say something that they'd agree with if Romney had said it.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I'm realizing this is a lost cause, but I will give it one more shot....

In the context he was speaking.....'entitled' = 'given' (as in, NOT earned).....Nobody is given success.  

If you work for it.....it was not GIVEN to you.  It was EARNED by you.  Therefore, it is yours -- but not because you are entitled to it....but because you EARNED it.  

I really don't know how much more clear that can be.

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed.

It'd be funny if the reaction wasn't kind of scary. lol

Quoting one_on_the_way:

That must be it.  The fact many of these same people are 'appalled' that Obama would say something like "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success".....are also 'appalled' that some people in our country "feel entitled to healthcare, housing and food"....doesn't make much sense to me.

Apparently, the "entitled" that Obama used means something different than the "entitled" that Romney used.  When Obama uses it, he is including even the people who EARN their success.  However, the "entitled" that Romney used means only people who believe it should be GIVEN to them.  

Strange.

Quoting AdellesMom:

I don't either. But, their problem is that Obama dared to say something that they'd agree with if Romney had said it.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I'm realizing this is a lost cause, but I will give it one more shot....

In the context he was speaking.....'entitled' = 'given' (as in, NOT earned).....Nobody is given success.  

If you work for it.....it was not GIVEN to you.  It was EARNED by you.  Therefore, it is yours -- but not because you are entitled to it....but because you EARNED it.  

I really don't know how much more clear that can be.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Every one has the right to try and succeed.  They are not entitled to success they didn't work for.  Maybe it's the same thing.  I'm tired. 

Quoting ButterMeUp:

IMO, EVERY HUMAN BEING HAS THE ENTITILMENT TO SUCESS. 

Now if they want to shit all over that entitlement and self destruct, that's on them. 

babiesbabybaby development

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:56 AM
You don't need to call names. It's not very classy.

Quoting Iconoclast:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wait..?? Did you just have the male pattern baldness to state that someone should stop arguing on CM?? o_O Do you happen to know where you are and what you are doing? Are your other personalities in charge tonight? Lol, dumbass!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting :

I think she was offended over the cheese and crackers part, lol. That's some muthaf*ckin foul a*s talk for a granny to hear. Ritz and Kraft American is more like it.

This post just became a lot more fun
Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Kick rocks in high heels (classy)
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Still don't know why you need to name call. Just because you didn't swear doesn't make you any less trashy for name calling. I would hope I'm speaking to an adult but your childish statements make me wonder...

Quoting Iconoclast:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Kick rocks in high heels (classy)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I told you where you can take your offense and what activity would best suit your outrage. Don't like, it there's a quarry about a mile away kick rocks all day till you find someone who cares about your tender sensitivities.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)