Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama: "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote  Like Reply to Post

President Obama, speaking in Virginia, said, "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

"This country doesn't just succeed when just a few are doing well at the top. It succeeds when the middle class gets bigger. Our economy doesn't grow from the top down -- it grows from the middle out. We don't believe that anybody is entitled to success in this country," said Obama. "But we do believe in opportunity. We believe in a country where hard work pays off and responsibility is rewarded, and everybody is getting a fair shot and everybody is doing their fair share and everybody is playing by the same rules."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-we-dont-believe-anybody-entitled-success-country_653749.html

grandma B

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Replies (241-250):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Advantages are ok for some; the wealthy- it doesn't matter how that wealth was secured. It's a weird approach- if we let them do whatever they want, maybe they'll throw us some bread crumbs.

If your intellect, skills, knowledge and investment abilities are so superior to the common man, why would you need economic advantages in order to achieve continued success? Makes no sense.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Well at least this point served one purpose...it exposed the entitlement issues of many of the group conservatives.  

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Nobody is ENTITLED to anything...

Work hard and EARN your place

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
afwifey4510
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
They're old lmao, it was the last president before Obama, so it was one election year old. I feel for your family and wonder how you're still alive with the amount of stupidity coming from you.

Btw this is a public forum, nit a college class which I'm sure you've never stepped a single foot in.

I love it how I give you info and you get all pissy because I answered your question with a truth that you know is true. I know you were hoping I was stupid enough to not know anthing about politics.

Sorry grandma, go back to the kitchen where you be long and bake some cookies, you obviously can't handle this forum.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

Researching statistics for COLLEGE classes going back to Bush Sr. all the way to Bush Jr.(he was in office at the time).

It's a well known fact that most people on PA are poorly educated, hence why they are on it to begin with (not including ssi or disability).

Not only that the state's with the highest PA rates are mainly red states.

Oh by the way, your statistics aren't worth crap....they are old.  Did you forget about ACORN???  Who do you think they were falsely registering, rich and middle class people?  Those were poor inner city people all over the country.  So you fail this class.  Being the "first" black president, Obama shot your statistics all to hell.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
afwifey4510
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
You should've known it was a forbyour previous reply of mine (I know I expected too much from you).

I told you where I got my findings from, I already did my research 5 years ago and aced my project.

How about you stand by your republican beliefs and do things yourself?

And just because I proved you wrong doesn't mean I'm a jerk, as I'm sure you would hate everyone you came in contact with on a daily basis if that was the case.

Thank you for the giggles though. Nice attempts to make "digs" like I actually give a shit about what you say.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

Alzheimer's hitting ya already? To your how do I know pa users mainly don't vote comment.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

Researching statistics for COLLEGE classes going back to Bush Sr. all the way to Bush Jr.(he was in office at the time).

It's a well known fact that most people on PA are poorly educated, hence why they are on it to begin with (not including ssi or disability).

What is this in reply to?

Another intelligent answer...not.  If you're going to answer someone's quote, you should "quote" it.   Instead of being a smart ass, you could have done a little online search and shown a link to support your answer.  But, I'm sure it's easier to just be a jerk, than to show some proof to back up your claim.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Obama is correct in saying nobody is entitled to success, but we differ on whether we are entitled to the fruits of our success.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I sure the hell HOPE he didn't say "I was wrong to say how I feel".  From what I've read, he said "I was wrong".  Which, I take to believe he doesn't feel that way.  (though, I know he does -- he was just saying he was wrong for 'damage control')

While it sickens me that there are people who make a career out of welfare, it is not 47% of Americans.  To take the few who don't set goals (and, let's look at who those people are....and why they don't set goals) and who are content to rely on the government the rest of their lives....and, in turn, believe those people define the 47% of people who currently aren't earning enough to actually pay taxes, is off base.    

People here are getting bent out of shape that Obama says "nobody is entitled to success", yet seemed completely fine with Romney criticizing people who feel entitled to housing, food, and healthcare.  So, people are entitled to success, but not entitled to basic survival?  Is there a difference?  If so, what?

I mean, Romney basically says "People are not entitled to food, housing and healthcare" and Republicans are like "Yeah, that's right!  Who the hell do those people think they are?!?"

And then Obama says "Nobody is entitled to success." and Republicans are like "He has no clue what he's talking about.....how dare he say people aren't entitled to success!  Of course they are."

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He said he was wrong to say it. Never said he didn't feel that way. And if you pay attention to the comment, he expresses a lot of the frustration many feel. I think he was a tad out of touch bit he generally understood. Why should the government keep passing out money to people content working minimum wage, part time jobs, or not working at all, with no goals in place to better themselves? And don't spew me some garbage about how that doesn't happen because there are people who have made welfare an occupation at the expense of everyone else and that is fucking wrong

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Well, on the 47%, he first stood by it.....and then said he was wrong.  So, whatever prompted it, he was wrong.  He said so himself.  (only after he saw how his comment was hurting his campaign)

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He does, and if you'd spend less time arguing on cafemom and more paying attention when the candidates speak and act, you would know this. Anybody know WHY he wants to stop funding pbs? Anybody know what prompted the 47% comment? And what flip flipping has he done? Cuz lord knows Obama has done his fair share.

Quoting Iconoclast:

Shut the back door!  Mitt wants to do all of that?  He really should tell people instead of talking about getting rid of PBS or flip-flopping or disrespecting the 47%.  Yeah, talking about the real issues and explaining what he plans on doing to handle those issues, that could help him. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Hmmmm he wants to give states rights over their money and laws so that they can better assess they're individual situations for their citizens. He wants to remove funding of certain things so that taxes can be lowered or rearranged to more appropriate places. He is actually the one who brought up loop holes and closing them, not Obama. BTW if Obama was so concerned about the loopholes don't you think he would have done something about it by now? He's had four years after all. Oh wait, he was too busy pissing away our tax dollars on things that don't matter ex: failed energy corps. air force one trips for golf and vacations, michelles 22 personal assistants..... But he cares about you.

As far as avoiding questions, Mitt answers the questions he is given pretty directly, popular or not.... Obama can barely form an answer. Of course its hard to talk about something you know nothing about.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Oh please...you're as good at avoiding direct questions as dear old Mitt.

No, it is important to speak about it now.  Sorry, Obama wanting the "upper class" to pay taxes without the benefit of loop holes is not disregard.

The fact that Romney has expressed sheer disdain towards anyone who is remotely middle or lower class should be discussed, as it is a good way of measuring how we will be treated during his presidency.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

When Romney is president we can talk about that.

And I'm not sure how he can hate them when every plan he has come up with helps the middle and lower class, he just isn't penalizing the upper class by helping the lower class.

Quoting katzmeow726:

So does Romney's blatant disregard for the  middle, and absolute hatred of the lower class sicken you as well?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I understand what he's saying, but his blatent disreguard for the upper class sickens me. He's supposed to be everyone's president.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Are you not entitled to the fruits of your success?  Are you living the same life with the same 'fruits' as a person who is not successful?  

Quoting Carpy:

Obama is correct in saying nobody is entitled to success, but we differ on whether we are entitled to the fruits of our success.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I sure the hell HOPE he didn't say "I was wrong to say how I feel".  From what I've read, he said "I was wrong".  Which, I take to believe he doesn't feel that way.  (though, I know he does -- he was just saying he was wrong for 'damage control')

While it sickens me that there are people who make a career out of welfare, it is not 47% of Americans.  To take the few who don't set goals (and, let's look at who those people are....and why they don't set goals) and who are content to rely on the government the rest of their lives....and, in turn, believe those people define the 47% of people who currently aren't earning enough to actually pay taxes, is off base.    

People here are getting bent out of shape that Obama says "nobody is entitled to success", yet seemed completely fine with Romney criticizing people who feel entitled to housing, food, and healthcare.  So, people are entitled to success, but not entitled to basic survival?  Is there a difference?  If so, what?

I mean, Romney basically says "People are not entitled to food, housing and healthcare" and Republicans are like "Yeah, that's right!  Who the hell do those people think they are?!?"

And then Obama says "Nobody is entitled to success." and Republicans are like "He has no clue what he's talking about.....how dare he say people aren't entitled to success!  Of course they are."

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM

The community has bills- everyone needs to share in the bill payments. No one, no matter their economic class, should be legally able to foist their bills off onto others. The balance can no longer shoulder the burden.

Times  and economic situations change, the rules should reflect those changes...unless additional debt is the goal.

azaz
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Obama is not saying for people not to be successful, he is suggesting that we built a stronger nation, "economy" so that we can all become successful in our own endeavors.  In other words " no one is just going to hand you a plate of gold without you actually making an effort to help yourself, and if you and your family are working hard and not just sitting back and complaining about your success in this world, without lifting a finger,  and actually putting money back into our economy by working and going back to school opening a business etc... to generate the dollar bill, then this is a step for our country to succeed and grow as a nation. That is what Obama is stating!!!!!

Quoting grandmab125:

Success (n):  accomplishment of an aim; favorable outcome...attainment of wealth, fame or position.

Succeed (v):  have success, be successful

So, Obama is telling everyone that they are not entitled to success, ergo, not to succeed in their goals.  Everyone is entitled (the right) to the success that they earn for themselves.

He really put his foot in his mouth on this one.  Why should people aim for success, when the president tells you you aren't entitled to it....

It's one of the more ludicrous demeaning statements he's made yet.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Quoting AdellesMom:

Everything that you just stated is a big crock of shit.

Why did you put first in quotation marks? Obama is the first black president. Don't spew that "but he has a white mother" bullshit. Remember the one drop rule?

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

Oh by the way, your statistics aren't worth crap....they are old.  Did you forget about ACORN???  Who do you think they were falsely registering, rich and middle class people?  Those were poor inner city people all over the country.  So you fail this class.  Being the "first" black president, Obama shot your statistics all to hell.

Having another temper tantrum, I see.  I just put the quotes around the wrong word.  Comprehend?

grandma B

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Pot meet kettle about temper tantrums. You put quotations around the wrong word?

Whatever you say sweets.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Everything that you just stated is a big crock of shit.

Why did you put first in quotation marks? Obama is the first black president. Don't spew that "but he has a white mother" bullshit. Remember the one drop rule?

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

Having another temper tantrum, I see.  I just put the quotes around the wrong word.  Comprehend?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Quoting afwifey4510:

You should've known it was a forbyour previous reply of mine (I know I expected too much from you).

I told you where I got my findings from, I already did my research 5 years ago and aced my project.

How about you stand by your republican beliefs and do things yourself?

And just because I proved you wrong doesn't mean I'm a jerk, as I'm sure you would hate everyone you came in contact with on a daily basis if that was the case.

Thank you for the giggles though. Nice attempts to make "digs" like I actually give a shit about what you say.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

Alzheimer's hitting ya already? To your how do I know pa users mainly don't vote comment.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

What is this in reply to?

Another intelligent answer...not.  If you're going to answer someone's quote, you should "quote" it.   Instead of being a smart ass, you could have done a little online search and shown a link to support your answer.  But, I'm sure it's easier to just be a jerk, than to show some proof to back up your claim.

And, I'm telling you, again, those statistics don't mean anything now.  Because that was before Obama, it doesn't hold true now.  So take your smart ass remarks and shove them, as they say, where the sun don't shine.  From the Institute for Southern Studies:

Election 2008: Minority and youth voting surged in the 2008 election, according to a new Project Vote analysis

The United States saw dramatic increases in the number of ballots cast by traditionally underrepresented groups, according to an analysis released last week by Project Vote.

In The Demographics of Voters in America's 2008 General Election: A Preliminary Assessment, Project Vote offers a preliminary assessment that 2008 saw a huge surge minority and youth voting. Votes cast by minorities in 2008 increased 21 percent from 2004 while votes cast by whites declined slightly. Votes cast in 2008 by young Americans, ages 18-29, increased by 9 percent from 2004.

From the Project Vote Blog:

Countering the conventional wisdom that voter turnout on November 4 did not change as dramatically as predicted, Project Vote's new analysis demonstrates that African-Americans, Latinos, and young voters cast millions more ballots in 2008 than in 2004.

"The analysis estimated that about 5.8 million more minorities voted in this year's presidential election than in 2004, while nearly 1.2 million fewer whites went to the polls," wrote Greg Gordon of McClatchy Newspapers. "The figures appear to reflect the success of Project Vote and other liberal voter registration groups in registering millions of young, poor, elderly and minority Americans to vote in recent election cycles."

According to study, African-Americans cast nearly three million more ballots nationwide in 2008 than in 2004--an increase of 21 percent. The total votes cast by Latinos went up by sixteen percent--more than 1.5 million--and young Americans aged 18-29 cast 1.8 million more votes, a nine percent increase. That the overall number of ballots cast did not increase significantly compared to 2004 was in part due to a decrease in voting by white voters.

According to the analysis:

In most cases these increases were met with decreases in total ballots cast by white voters, and in the case where total ballots cast for white voters did increase, the gains in ballots cast by non-white voters increased at a much higher rate. Florida is the only state in our analysis where the increase in ballots cast by white voters from 2004 to 2008 was higher than the increase in ballots cast by non-white voters. That said, the rate of growth of the white vote in Florida is half that for non-white voters. While total ballots cast by new voters increased by 3 percent in the U.S., so did the growth rate for those who have voted previously. Of the states in this analysis, only in Nevada and New Mexico did new voters cast significantly more ballots than people who have voted previously.

grandma B

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN