Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama: "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote  Like Reply to Post

President Obama, speaking in Virginia, said, "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

"This country doesn't just succeed when just a few are doing well at the top. It succeeds when the middle class gets bigger. Our economy doesn't grow from the top down -- it grows from the middle out. We don't believe that anybody is entitled to success in this country," said Obama. "But we do believe in opportunity. We believe in a country where hard work pays off and responsibility is rewarded, and everybody is getting a fair shot and everybody is doing their fair share and everybody is playing by the same rules."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-we-dont-believe-anybody-entitled-success-country_653749.html

grandma B

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Replies (51-60):
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Quoting shannonnigans:

What is your deal already? That is the third time now in like the past month I've seen you threaten to report somebody. I'm gonna tell! I'm gonna tell! God damn, do it already, nobody cares. You can start with me, report me. You'll be about the 100th person who has. It's meaningless.

Oh, and nobody is just entitled? They have to earn it? Sounds like the same ingeminations you guys love to bring out whenever you rail against any form of PA. Which seems to be always.

What a post.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Iconoclast:

It really does chafe your ass when someone agrees with him doesn't it?  That has to hurt since your head usually resides there, huh?

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Sheraymonet:

I agree with his statement.

I'm sure you're one of the millions who think they are "entitled" to the success of others, though.

Aren't you sweet?  And I get accused of being a b..ch.  Maybe I should report you for this one.  I'm sure it violates CM rules.

Just reminding people who report me.  I don't generally report people, because they aren't worth my time.

grandma B

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:30 AM
3 moms liked this
But it is worth your time to threaten to report people. Ok, now I get it.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting shannonnigans:

What is your deal already? That is the third time now in like the past month I've seen you threaten to report somebody. I'm gonna tell! I'm gonna tell! God damn, do it already, nobody cares. You can start with me, report me. You'll be about the 100th person who has. It's meaningless.

Oh, and nobody is just entitled? They have to earn it? Sounds like the same ingeminations you guys love to bring out whenever you rail against any form of PA. Which seems to be always.

What a post.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Iconoclast:

It really does chafe your ass when someone agrees with him doesn't it?  That has to hurt since your head usually resides there, huh?

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Sheraymonet:

I agree with his statement.

I'm sure you're one of the millions who think they are "entitled" to the success of others, though.

Aren't you sweet?  And I get accused of being a b..ch.  Maybe I should report you for this one.  I'm sure it violates CM rules.

Just reminding people who report me.  I don't generally report people, because they aren't worth my time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wife2AGeek
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Iconoclast:

Epic fail grandma b! Go you!

Not at all.  This is a  very liberal left wing forum, so I don't expect much support from people like you.  But that won't stop me in my attempts to educate the lemmings.

Lemmings??  Why are you so rude and nasty?  I'm not saying that in reference to your whole person, but where politics are concerned, dang lady calm down.  Believe it or not, there are people here looking at both Romney and Obama in a far fashion, and doing their research.   It's getting old hearing liberal this, conservative that.  And we wonder why Washington is in a mess and won't work together?  If you are this riled about Obama, Congress must have your head rolling, eh?  It's amazing to me the work that needs to be done, and they have so many days off to campaign instead of doing the people's business.

candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, do you really believe that these women will find anything wrong with something he has said?  In four years they haven't find fault even though our country is going down the tubes, why would they start now?  November 6 will be very telling.

Quoting grandmab125:

Success (n):  accomplishment of an aim; favorable outcome...attainment of wealth, fame or position.

Succeed (v):  have success, be successful

So, Obama is telling everyone that they are not entitled to success, ergo, not to succeed in their goals.  Everyone is entitled (the right) to the success that they earn for themselves.

He really put his foot in his mouth on this one.  Why should people aim for success, when the president tells you you aren't entitled to it....

It's one of the more ludicrous demeaning statements he's made yet.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM
4 moms liked this
"Entitled" in the context of O's comment is equal to a "handout". "Success" can't be "handed out". Instead it is "earned" & "rewarded" for "hard work" & "responsibility". What offends anyone about this? You all want to inherit your success or want your LOs to do so?

IMnotHO either we raise our DSs & DDs to earn their success or we raise them with a sense of entitlement. I'm trying to raise my DD to earn success via hard work & responsibility. That's how I've been successful. You?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Coming from Obama this is nothing but another spread the wealth comment. By saying we don't believe ANYBODY is entitled to success, he is in FACT saying those who have EARNED success through hard work and responsibility aren't entitled to the benefits of their success that it's not fair unless they give what Obama determines as their fair share.

Quoting Bookwormy:

"Entitled" in the context of O's comment is equal to a "handout". "Success" can't be "handed out". Instead it is "earned" & "rewarded" for "hard work" & "responsibility". What offends anyone about this? You all want to inherit your success or want your LOs to do so?

IMnotHO either we raise our DSs & DDs to earn their success or we raise them with a sense of entitlement. I'm trying to raise my DD to earn success via hard work & responsibility. That's how I've been successful. You?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
No entitlement to succeeds but entitlement to everything else? Even someone else's money?
meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM
3 moms liked this

I see nothing wrong in that statement. Success is something that is the result of hard work for most people. Of course the idea of success is subjective. The single mom, who through no fault of her own, received some sort of assistance but sees her grown child/children educated, hard-working individuals who support themselves, their families and contribute to society can count herself successful. The man who works hard, sometimes long hours and feeds his family, provides them with a home, maybe a vacation trip once in awhile and sees them grow into hard-working, responsible individuals can count himself successful. For many people "success" is providing for their families, maybe owning their own home and being able to afford a luxery or two along the way. Everyone I have known has been a very hard-working person and they all fall into that area. They aren't wealthy but they are successful. A good education, hard work and long hours don't necessarily bring great wealth, most often they don't bring wealth at all and it's not that they don't strive to or that they don't want to accomplish more, they do want that, if for no other reason than to provide their children with more advantages and better opportunities. The really sad thing is that Romney and other's like him do not see these people (the majority of the population) as successful at all. They look at them and brush them off with a quick, they didn't work hard enough, without having the least idea of how hard they did and do work, because to Romney and those relativly few others who are very wealthy, one is only successful when they can count their money in the millions.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM
3 moms liked this
O has been successful, yes? Has he reaped the benefits? I'd say yes. He is not against success. Sharing is a good thing too, no?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Coming from Obama this is nothing but another spread the wealth comment. By saying we don't believe ANYBODY is entitled to success, he is in FACT saying those who have EARNED success through hard work and responsibility aren't entitled to the benefits of their success that it's not fair unless they give what Obama determines as their fair share.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM
5 moms liked this

Fair.

I love when people talk about fair.

Let's be real.

Life is inherently unfair.  Some people are born wealthy, others dirt poor.  Even poor has layers and levels.  Be born poor in America and you may be considered rich compared to someone born poor in Indonesia.

Some people are prettier, healthier, smarter....some people live where there are more opportunities and some live where there are less.

We have to get to the point of saying, everyone should have the opportunity to make the most of what they've got, but everyone should understand that means you have to WORK for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)