Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Republican Congressman: Science Is ‘All Lies From The Pit Of Hell!’

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM
  • 83 Replies
3 moms liked this

Republican Congressman: Science Is ‘All Lies From The Pit Of Hell!’

October 5, 2012
By Justin Rosario

There are days I despair for the human race. This is certainly one of them. Last month, Rep. Paul Broun (R-Moron) gave a speech denouncing science as Satan’s work to undermine Christianity. Seriously.

Via TPM:

All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

According to Broun, the scientific plot was primarily concerned with hiding the true age of the Earth. Broun serves on the House Science Committee, which came under scrutiny recently after another one of its Republican members, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), suggested that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses against pregnancy.

“You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth,” he said. “I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.” (Emphasis mine)

This man sits on the House Science Committee. That’s like letting a 5-year-old write the budget. Or Paul Ryan. Such profound, and deliberate, ignorance of basic education should disqualify Broun from having anything to do with policy making, much less science policy. This isn’t controversial stuff like “When does a fertilized egg become a person?” There’s a debate to be had there. This isn’t a question about something fundamentally unanswerable like what happens after we die. This is hard, proven and not that difficult to understand facts that Broun is childishly rejecting because he (mistakenly) thinks that it means he can’t worship Jesus.

Broun is a fundamentalist fanatic and, while there is no constitutional grounds on which to remove him, there are certainly common sense grounds. Anyone willing to supplant reality with a literal interpretation of a religious text written 6000 years ago is a mentally disturbed person. They are engulfed by a cult-like mentality and are a danger to themselves and those around them. If you find this idea startling, ask yourself if you would be comfortable having a member of the Taliban in a seat of power in the United States. If the answer is “no” but you’re fine with Broun, you are letting your familiarity with Christianity blind you. There is precious little difference between Broun and the people we went to war with Afghanistan over. What separates him from the violence exhibited by fundamentalists in the Middle East is that rule of law in the United States restrains Broun. For now, at least.

Make no mistake, anyone that insists that science is “lies straight from the pit of Hell” does not have the best interest of the country at heart. That person wants a populace of fearful sheep, bullied into submission or whipped into a killing frenzy as the situation dictates. It’s time we stop giving them a pass because we’re afraid of being accused of “attacking Christianity.” Christianity has nothing to do with Broun’s delusions. Broun and his ilk seek to inflict their sick and warped vision of the world on to the rest of us and the only way that happens is if we allow it.

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

And this man sits on the House of Science Committee? That can't be right. And that needs to be changed

Quote:

All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

cammibear
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Note some key phrases:
"sick and warped vision"
"delusions"
"fearful sheep"
Comparison to Taliban
Comparison to violent Muslims
Cult-like mentality
Danger to themselves and those around them
Fanatic
No Constitutional grounds to remove him, but common sense grounds
Deliberate ignorance
Denouncing science

Now, don't tell me this person wouldn't be right there cheering on the mass slaughter of anybody that doesn't accept the evolutionary theory of life origins. This person cannot distinguish "science" from "evolution", and cannot discern where empirical evidence ends and faith begins.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:45 AM
4 moms liked this
Georgia voted him in; I hope they vote him out. We need politicians who support science. Science and religious belief can and should co-exist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshinebee0502
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Another moment I sit reading in total bewilderment... wow. 

lga1965
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM
4 moms liked this

OMG. Maybe his science teacher in 8th grade flunked him and now he working to discredit all science teachers and all scientists?

OR....he really is a fundamentalist idiot who was home schooled by an illiterate fearful mother?

Pathetic.

Aislinn
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM

LMAO Oh, Dear lord.. Just when you think it cannot get worse.. BAM! It gets worse. lol

cuauhtemocsmom
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM
ROFL WOW and yet I'm not shocked
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
We are toast. Please tell me how a guy who believes eggs recognize and fight off rape sperm, and a guy who believes embryology is the work of Satan (forgetting about the age of the earth, which is bad enough), are on a SCIENCE committee? Please tell me why this is not being investigated. Please tell me how it's not an attempt at absolute religious infiltration of our government? And somebody, please tell me how it hasn't already happened. Of everything we talk about here, this is the scariest piece of news I've read in years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

O.o

Oh my...

What is wrong with the people of Georgia to have voted this lunatic into office?

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Quoting cammibear:

Note some key phrases:
"sick and warped vision"
"delusions"
"fearful sheep"
Comparison to Taliban
Comparison to violent Muslims
Cult-like mentality
Danger to themselves and those around them
Fanatic
No Constitutional grounds to remove him, but common sense grounds
Deliberate ignorance
Denouncing science

Now, don't tell me this person wouldn't be right there cheering on the mass slaughter of anybody that doesn't accept the evolutionary theory of life origins. This person cannot distinguish "science" from "evolution", and cannot discern where empirical evidence ends and faith begins.

WHAT???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN