Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Republican Congressman: Science Is ‘All Lies From The Pit Of Hell!’

Posted by   + Show Post

Republican Congressman: Science Is ‘All Lies From The Pit Of Hell!’

October 5, 2012
By Justin Rosario

There are days I despair for the human race. This is certainly one of them. Last month, Rep. Paul Broun (R-Moron) gave a speech denouncing science as Satan’s work to undermine Christianity. Seriously.

Via TPM:

All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

According to Broun, the scientific plot was primarily concerned with hiding the true age of the Earth. Broun serves on the House Science Committee, which came under scrutiny recently after another one of its Republican members, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), suggested that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses against pregnancy.

“You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth,” he said. “I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.” (Emphasis mine)

This man sits on the House Science Committee. That’s like letting a 5-year-old write the budget. Or Paul Ryan. Such profound, and deliberate, ignorance of basic education should disqualify Broun from having anything to do with policy making, much less science policy. This isn’t controversial stuff like “When does a fertilized egg become a person?” There’s a debate to be had there. This isn’t a question about something fundamentally unanswerable like what happens after we die. This is hard, proven and not that difficult to understand facts that Broun is childishly rejecting because he (mistakenly) thinks that it means he can’t worship Jesus.

Broun is a fundamentalist fanatic and, while there is no constitutional grounds on which to remove him, there are certainly common sense grounds. Anyone willing to supplant reality with a literal interpretation of a religious text written 6000 years ago is a mentally disturbed person. They are engulfed by a cult-like mentality and are a danger to themselves and those around them. If you find this idea startling, ask yourself if you would be comfortable having a member of the Taliban in a seat of power in the United States. If the answer is “no” but you’re fine with Broun, you are letting your familiarity with Christianity blind you. There is precious little difference between Broun and the people we went to war with Afghanistan over. What separates him from the violence exhibited by fundamentalists in the Middle East is that rule of law in the United States restrains Broun. For now, at least.

Make no mistake, anyone that insists that science is “lies straight from the pit of Hell” does not have the best interest of the country at heart. That person wants a populace of fearful sheep, bullied into submission or whipped into a killing frenzy as the situation dictates. It’s time we stop giving them a pass because we’re afraid of being accused of “attacking Christianity.” Christianity has nothing to do with Broun’s delusions. Broun and his ilk seek to inflict their sick and warped vision of the world on to the rest of us and the only way that happens is if we allow it.

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Replies (61-70):
MyJaidonreturns
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM
In her sense, with heaven being in existence, whats the purpose of being on Earth?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Take away God, and there's no real purpose for living. We are just born to die. That's a great positive message...

And we don't deserve punishment because we are human. We deserve punishment because we are sinners, and we hate God, who loves us despite that.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting cammibear:

No, if I were an elitist I would think I deserved heaven and you deserved Hell for your unbelief. Reality is that we ALL deserve Hell, and if not for the grace and mercy of a loving God who offers a FREE gift of eternal life through the death, burial, and resurrection of His Son, none of us would escape hell.

So no, I don't think I'm better than you, or that I'm in any way more special than you because I believe and you don't.

I'm going to jump in here even though it's not my conversation...

The fact that you think we ALL deserve punishment simply because we're human is just sad. Take that negative thinking away and there is no need for belief in a god and savior- and THAT'S how religion controls people.

There is great purpose to living without God or promise of another life.  There is purpose in loving others, working, taking care of yourself and family, making the best "you" you can be, and helping others in the world to be the best they can be as well.

We do not deserve punishment.  Period.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:57 PM

What the author says doesn't change the fact that someone on a Science Committee believes science is 'All lies from the Pit of Hell' and doesn't belong there.

Do you see the difference between someone who interpret it differently and someone who believes science is all lies from the Pit of Hell?

It's one think to look at facts and come up with a different conclusion. But a completely different thing to think science is lies from the pit of hell.

IF someone said, "I don't believe their is enough evidence to prove that life came from Evolution" That would be one thing. But when someone says, "It's all lies! From the Devil!" It's a completely different story. Someone with the mentality that science is lies and from the Pit of Hell. He really shouldn't be on a Science Committee.

Do you know what I mean?

Quoting cammibear:

And you can't distinguish between science and evolution either. Just because someone doesn't interpret data the way someone else does, does not make them anti-science. That's completely absurd.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting cammibear:

Now, don't tell me this person wouldn't be right there cheering on the mass slaughter of anybody that doesn't accept the evolutionary theory of life origins. This person cannot distinguish "science" from "evolution", and cannot discern where empirical evidence ends and faith begins.

If you don't like what the author said then focus on the Quotes from the Republican. Because that is the point of this post (and the article).

What the author says doesn't change the fact that someone on a Science Committee believes science is 'All lies from the Pit of Hell' and doesn't belong there.

It just seems counter productive.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Quoting MyJaidonreturns:

In her sense, with heaven being in existence, whats the purpose of being on Earth?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Take away God, and there's no real purpose for living. We are just born to die. That's a great positive message...

And we don't deserve punishment because we are human. We deserve punishment because we are sinners, and we hate God, who loves us despite that.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting cammibear:

No, if I were an elitist I would think I deserved heaven and you deserved Hell for your unbelief. Reality is that we ALL deserve Hell, and if not for the grace and mercy of a loving God who offers a FREE gift of eternal life through the death, burial, and resurrection of His Son, none of us would escape hell.

So no, I don't think I'm better than you, or that I'm in any way more special than you because I believe and you don't.

I'm going to jump in here even though it's not my conversation...

The fact that you think we ALL deserve punishment simply because we're human is just sad. Take that negative thinking away and there is no need for belief in a god and savior- and THAT'S how religion controls people.

There is great purpose to living without God or promise of another life.  There is purpose in loving others, working, taking care of yourself and family, making the best "you" you can be, and helping others in the world to be the best they can be as well.

We do not deserve punishment.  Period.

From what I can gather, God puts us here to test us to see where we belong in the afterlife, but he already knows all the answers to what is going to happen.  Which of course makes the tests moot.

Or something.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
It does when they say chunks of science are lies from the devil!
How can he be on the science committee when things like space explorations, plate tectonics, continental drift, anything about stank mechanics as well as the biological sciences and probably the psychological and medical sciences as well would be far out of the realm of his belief system?
How can he be trusted to allocate funds in a reasonable way when it is all the same as a Tarot reading in his eyes? That is the frightening and fundamental question. I can only assume he was put on that committee because he was sure to flatly deny funding for any research that did not concur with his worldview, i.e. everything, unless a fellow party member told him that this was some ok science, not evil science.

ETA to finish the last sentence.
Quoting cammibear:

And you can't distinguish between science and evolution either. Just because someone doesn't interpret data the way someone else does, does not make them anti-science. That's completely absurd.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting cammibear:

Now, don't tell me this person wouldn't be right there cheering on the mass slaughter of anybody that doesn't accept the evolutionary theory of life origins. This person cannot distinguish "science" from "evolution", and cannot discern where empirical evidence ends and faith begins.

If you don't like what the author said then focus on the Quotes from the Republican. Because that is the point of this post (and the article).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyJaidonreturns
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Thats not perfect love. Most Christians will never treat their children like that. It's horrible. I don't doubt.a being greater than humans, but Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, Osiris, Krishna, Odin, Mitra, etc, just aint it for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cammibear
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Science is ever-changing. What you might think is fact and truth today, will be modified and adapted tomorrow.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting cammibear:

The only thing I've said is that all belief systems begin with faith, whether the system believes in God, or whether the system believes there is no God.

I have also said many times that it's the SAME evidence, just interpreted differently.

But if a fact is a FACT, how can it be interpreted in any other way other than the truth? I say the wall is made of bricks- it's proven to be made of bricks, so how can someone say they look at that same wall and  interpret it to be made of iron bars? Either it is or it isn't and since the evidence is on my side, I'm right and the person who believes it to be made of iron bars is in need of glasses.

Does it all come down to person preference? I can say I like Sparkle paper towels even though in laboratory tests it's proven that Bounty works better. I can dismiss/ignore all the evidence in exchange for my personal preference but that doesn't make the science, evidence or facts about Bounty actually being better, wrong.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Yah, the orbs called rocks by science that are surrounding my tree in my front yard  will someday in the future be reclassified by science as Cheese Puffs. Yup. That's how science works.

Quoting cammibear:

Science is ever-changing. What you might think is fact and truth today, will be modified and adapted tomorrow.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting cammibear:

The only thing I've said is that all belief systems begin with faith, whether the system believes in God, or whether the system believes there is no God.

I have also said many times that it's the SAME evidence, just interpreted differently.

But if a fact is a FACT, how can it be interpreted in any other way other than the truth? I say the wall is made of bricks- it's proven to be made of bricks, so how can someone say they look at that same wall and  interpret it to be made of iron bars? Either it is or it isn't and since the evidence is on my side, I'm right and the person who believes it to be made of iron bars is in need of glasses.

Does it all come down to person preference? I can say I like Sparkle paper towels even though in laboratory tests it's proven that Bounty works better. I can dismiss/ignore all the evidence in exchange for my personal preference but that doesn't make the science, evidence or facts about Bounty actually being better, wrong.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM
I read again, and I'm still not seeing where he claims "science" is from the devil.

Best I can tell, he is speaking specifically about things he was taught in school about evolution, embryology, and the Big Bang. That's a very small fraction of "science" out there, but because there are things that are being taught in public school as fact, that indeed do undermine Christian beliefs, he considers them lies. Not just because they undermine the Zbible, but because evidence interpreted in light of the Bible makes sense.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

What the author says doesn't change the fact that someone on a Science
Committee believes science is 'All lies from the Pit of Hell' and
doesn't belong there.

Do you see the difference between someone who interpret it differently and someone who believes science is all lies from the Pit of Hell?

It's one think to look at facts and come up with a different conclusion. But a completely different thing to think science is lies from the pit of hell.

IF someone said, "I don't believe their is enough evidence to prove that life came from Evolution" That would be one thing. But when someone says, "It's all lies! From the Devil!" It's a completely different story. Someone with the mentality that science is lies and from the Pit of Hell. He really shouldn't be on a Science Committee.

Do you know what I mean?

Quoting cammibear:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting cammibear:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM
OT: I loooove the movie 'Legend'.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

According to Broun, the scientific plot was primarily concerned with hiding the true age of the Earth. Broun serves on the House Science Committee, which came under scrutiny recently after another one of its Republican members, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), suggested that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses against pregnancy.

It's the highlighted part. Unless you have proof that quote is inaccurate.

Again-No one is claiming science never changes. We are claiming that one who believes science is lies straight from the Pit of Hell. Or even just think science is fake shouldn't be on a committee for science.

Just because things sometimes changes doesn't mean everything science related is a lie. Someone on a committee for Science is who going to be allocating the funds for science should at least understandt he fundamentals of science.

Quoting cammibear:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting cammibear:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN