Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Republican Congressman: Science Is ‘All Lies From The Pit Of Hell!’

Posted by   + Show Post

Republican Congressman: Science Is ‘All Lies From The Pit Of Hell!’

October 5, 2012
By Justin Rosario

There are days I despair for the human race. This is certainly one of them. Last month, Rep. Paul Broun (R-Moron) gave a speech denouncing science as Satan’s work to undermine Christianity. Seriously.

Via TPM:

All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

According to Broun, the scientific plot was primarily concerned with hiding the true age of the Earth. Broun serves on the House Science Committee, which came under scrutiny recently after another one of its Republican members, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), suggested that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses against pregnancy.

“You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth,” he said. “I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.” (Emphasis mine)

This man sits on the House Science Committee. That’s like letting a 5-year-old write the budget. Or Paul Ryan. Such profound, and deliberate, ignorance of basic education should disqualify Broun from having anything to do with policy making, much less science policy. This isn’t controversial stuff like “When does a fertilized egg become a person?” There’s a debate to be had there. This isn’t a question about something fundamentally unanswerable like what happens after we die. This is hard, proven and not that difficult to understand facts that Broun is childishly rejecting because he (mistakenly) thinks that it means he can’t worship Jesus.

Broun is a fundamentalist fanatic and, while there is no constitutional grounds on which to remove him, there are certainly common sense grounds. Anyone willing to supplant reality with a literal interpretation of a religious text written 6000 years ago is a mentally disturbed person. They are engulfed by a cult-like mentality and are a danger to themselves and those around them. If you find this idea startling, ask yourself if you would be comfortable having a member of the Taliban in a seat of power in the United States. If the answer is “no” but you’re fine with Broun, you are letting your familiarity with Christianity blind you. There is precious little difference between Broun and the people we went to war with Afghanistan over. What separates him from the violence exhibited by fundamentalists in the Middle East is that rule of law in the United States restrains Broun. For now, at least.

Make no mistake, anyone that insists that science is “lies straight from the pit of Hell” does not have the best interest of the country at heart. That person wants a populace of fearful sheep, bullied into submission or whipped into a killing frenzy as the situation dictates. It’s time we stop giving them a pass because we’re afraid of being accused of “attacking Christianity.” Christianity has nothing to do with Broun’s delusions. Broun and his ilk seek to inflict their sick and warped vision of the world on to the rest of us and the only way that happens is if we allow it.

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Replies (31-40):
shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM
I'm not going to accept Christ. Tell me who you believe has better chances. For that matter, tell me who you believe is better off in general. The very nature of wanting to convert people is elitist. If you didn't think your way was better, you wouldn't care. Btw, I'm not even knocking you for it, I'm knocking you for not admitting it.

Quoting cammibear:

No, if I were an elitist I would think I deserved heaven and you deserved Hell for your unbelief. Reality is that we ALL deserve Hell, and if not for the grace and mercy of a loving God who offers a FREE gift of eternal life through the death, burial, and resurrection of His Son, none of us would escape hell.

So no, I don't think I'm better than you, or that I'm in any way more special than you because I believe and you don't.

Quoting shannonnigans:

You're the same person who told me a few months ago that unfortunately, those that didn't accept Christ as their savior were in fact going to hell.

But you're not elitist.

Quoting cammibear:

I have a college education, and the more I learn, the more I realize there's alot more I need to learn. If you have that attitude, then you are not an "elitist".

I think I can safely place you in the group that cannot distinguish between science and evolution. ;)

Quoting lga1965:

"Elitist" ? So, I guess then you think that a College education is "elitist" and high schools that teach science are also "elitist" and Doctors who graduatre from Medical School who have had many years of various science classes are "Elitist" ? And education in general , which always includes science, is "all lies from the Pit of Hell" and elitist?

OMG.......

OMG.......

Quoting cammibear:

This article is full of crap Roma. Please don't defend it.

You didn't like my comment in the Bill Nye thread either. This is a small example of what I was talking about. This type of elitist mentality has and still can lead to terrible ends. "The ends justify the means..."

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Note some key phrases:
"sick and warped vision"
"delusions"
"fearful sheep"
Comparison to Taliban
Comparison to violent Muslims
Cult-like mentality
Danger to themselves and those around them
Fanatic
No Constitutional grounds to remove him, but common sense grounds
Deliberate ignorance
Denouncing science

Now, don't tell me this person wouldn't be right there cheering on the mass slaughter of anybody that doesn't accept the evolutionary theory of life origins. This person cannot distinguish "science" from "evolution", and cannot discern where empirical evidence ends and faith begins.

WHAT???

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cammibear
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM
The only thing I've said is that all belief systems begin with faith, whether the system believes in God, or whether the system believes there is no God.

I have also said many times that it's the SAME evidence, just interpreted differently.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Everything you believe begins with faith. That you cannot see that saddens me. :(

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

I have a college education, and the more I learn, the more I realize there's alot more I need to learn. If you have that attitude, then you are not an "elitist".

I think I can safely place you in the group that cannot distinguish between science and evolution. ;)

Quoting lga1965:

"Elitist" ? So, I guess then you think that a College education is "elitist" and high schools that teach science are also "elitist" and Doctors who graduatre from Medical School who have had many years of various science classes are "Elitist" ? And education in general , which always includes science, is "all lies from the Pit of Hell" and elitist?

OMG.......

OMG.......

Quoting cammibear:

You didn't like my comment in the Bill Nye thread either. This is a small example of what I was talking about. This type of elitist mentality has and still can lead to terrible ends. "The ends justify the means..."

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Note some key phrases:
"sick and warped vision"
"delusions"
"fearful sheep"
Comparison to Taliban
Cult-like mentality
Fanatic
Deliberate ignorance
Denouncing science

Now, don't tell me this person wouldn't be right there cheering on the mass slaughter of anybody that doesn't accept the evolutionary theory of life origins. This person cannot distinguish "science" from "evolution", and cannot discern where empirical evidence ends and faith begins.

WHAT???

Evolution IS part of science.

That you don't agree with that saddens me.

Just because you say something doesn't make it so.

Just like when you say evolution isn't science.

Just like you say there is as much evidence for a young earth as an old one.

And just like when you say everything starts with faith.  You are abusing the meaning of "faith".

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Grainia
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Quoting cammibear:

The only thing I've said is that all belief systems begin with faith, whether the system believes in God, or whether the system believes there is no God.

I have also said many times that it's the SAME evidence, just interpreted differently.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Everything you believe begins with faith. That you cannot see that saddens me. :(

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Quoting lga1965:

OMG.......

OMG.......

Quoting cammibear:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Note some key phrases:
"sick and warped vision"
"delusions"
"fearful sheep"
Comparison to Taliban
Cult-like mentality
Fanatic
Deliberate ignorance
Denouncing science

WHAT???

Evolution IS part of science.

That you don't agree with that saddens me.

Just because you say something doesn't make it so.

Just like when you say evolution isn't science.

Just like you say there is as much evidence for a young earth as an old one.

And just like when you say everything starts with faith.  You are abusing the meaning of "faith".

It does not take faith to think that God doesn't exist.

It takes faith to believe that non-provable things exist.

Saying it's the same evidence interpreted differently, as if that were possible, doesn't make what I said different.  You reject anything that doesn't fit with your Bible beliefs.

Either something is 4 billion years old or 6,000 years old, and the same evidence doesn't show both to be true.

It's a matter of picking and choosing and making leaps of logic.  I say that because I have viewed material you have previously shown as evidence of your beliefs.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM
That's far too biblical for a bunch of godless scientists. No need to kill them if you can just keep them away from scientific policy making.
Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Note some key phrases:
"sick and warped vision"
"delusions"
"fearful sheep"
Comparison to Taliban
Cult-like mentality
Fanatic
Deliberate ignorance
Denouncing science

WHAT???

You think people who believe in science and evolution want to slaughter people who disagree???

Is that what you just said???

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cammibear:

No, if I were an elitist I would think I deserved heaven and you deserved Hell for your unbelief. Reality is that we ALL deserve Hell, and if not for the grace and mercy of a loving God who offers a FREE gift of eternal life through the death, burial, and resurrection of His Son, none of us would escape hell.

So no, I don't think I'm better than you, or that I'm in any way more special than you because I believe and you don't.

I'm going to jump in here even though it's not my conversation...

The fact that you think we ALL deserve punishment simply because we're human is just sad. Take that negative thinking away and there is no need for belief in a god and savior- and THAT'S how religion controls people.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Science is proof of things that exist and can be documented and measured,etc. and evolution is backed by science. Creationism is based on blind faith in a BOOK.

Quoting cammibear:

Quoting lga1965:

OMG.......

OMG.......

Quoting cammibear:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting cammibear:

Note some key phrases:
"sick and warped vision"
"delusions"
"fearful sheep"
Comparison to Taliban
Cult-like mentality
Fanatic
Deliberate ignorance
Denouncing science

WHAT???

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Why am I still shocked by these things?

surprised

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Just shut up, SHUT UP! Make it stop, anybody! Anybooooooody!

Phew! Had to get that off my chest :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured