Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think students should have the right to ban non-vaccinated children in schools?

Posted by   + Show Post

Schools Should Have the Right to Ban Non-Vaccinated Kids From Attending

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on October 6, 2012

vaccineCall me ignorant or an alarmist, but I'm terrified of childhood vaccines. My children have received all of theirs, but it doesn't mean that each one hasn't caused me sleepless nights and heart palpitations.

After countless hours of reading and research, I came to my shaky conclusion that the risks of vaccinating are less than those of not vaccinating, but I'm far from staunch in my beliefs about this. The fact is that each one feels like a  terrifying leap of faith. Countless other parents, however, aren't willing to make such a leap, and they choose not to vaccinate their children. Good for them; I absolutely understand and support their decisions. They're their children, their choice.

With that choice, however, come potential consequences, one of which may be their non-vaccinated children being banned from school. And as difficult and frustrating as it may be for anti-vaxxers, that's a legitimate part of the choice they make -- and it should be.

It happens regularly across the country when diseases like whooping cough or Measles break out. And every time it does, tempers flare and studies are thrown about showing that non-vaccinated children are and are not a risk in schools.

The fact that there is a potential risk to vaccinated students is enough in my book to support such bans. And really the parents of the unvaccinated children should understand this better than anyone.

They don't want anyone to force what they consider a risky health situation on them and their family via vaccinations, and they shouldn't force other families to be put in what they consider a risk situation either -- sitting next to an non-vaccinated child in an enclosed classroom. The rest of the world aside, we all know how quickly germs and the like travel through schools, and the risk is there. There are children and adults who for numerous reasons, such as allergies, can't get immunizations; and sometimes vaccinations aren't as effective as they should be. Those people shouldn't be put at risk because others just don't want to vaccinate.

The decision to vaccinate or not vaccinate a child is one of the toughest many parents make, and it's one I believe each parent should be allowed to make. But if schools determine a ban of non-vaccinated students is the best way to ensure the safety and well being of the majority of students, then the parents of non-vaccinated children must accept that as part of their decision as tough as it may be.

Do you think students should have the right to ban non-vaccinated children in schools?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Replies (141-145):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I worry a lot more about the parents that give their children tylenol and mask their fever and send them to school because they don't have anymore sick days.  Fast forward 3-5 days and half the class is out with strep throat, fifths, etc.  The chances of my child contracting a Preventable illness by keeping your germ carrier home are far more likely than them catching whooping cough or measles.

I am in strong favor of the rights of parents to decide what is best for their child by vaccinating or not.  I also do not believe the non-vaccinated should be segregated.  I would feel this way regardless of my own personal choice.    

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm not an expert.  I am constantly learning.  I don't just accept what someone tells me, regardless of the letters behind their names.  I confronted one dentist with a huge study done regarding the dangers of flouride, and she had never even heard of it, despite it being the largest study with the most people ever done.  The same thing with anytime I ask a doctor to explain in detail this research or that.  Several OB's I talked to were unaware of the fact that the study linking VBAC's to high uterine rupture rate was debunked as being flawed, even though it has been debunked for several years.  Doctors do what they're taught to do, which is to prescribe medication and make sure kids are immunized.  Regardless of the risks outweighing the benefits.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Do you realize that all of the people you mentioned went to school to learn how to precribe medication?  90% of their education is "what big pharma medicine would you prescribe for this symptom?"

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Do research on historical fact, and not what the CDC spoonfeeds you.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Herd Immunity is a myth.  90% of the adult population is unimmune because their shots wore off, yet disease levels remain extremely low.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I do not vax for 90% of the `recommendated' vaccines and will not.  What it came down to is this:  What is more important?  School or your child's health and well-being. 

Schooling your children has many options such as home school, virtual school, tutoring etc.  I can't think of a single way to find `options' to ensure the toxins that you are deliberately injecting into a tiny body don't sicken,  cause lifelong development/mental disabilities, and in some cases are fatal.  I'm not playing Russian Roulette with my children because the government orders me to.

Quoting gsprofval:

There are studies that it's the vaccinated kids who spread the disease, not so much the unvaccinated kids.

The schools require too many vaccinations any way which cause so many problems with kids--increases in autism, ADHD, etc.

Heck, many of the vaccinations aren't even in proper conditions to start with--kept at the wrong temperatures, outdated, full of mercury and preservatives, etc.

Why should a 5 year old have to get over 40 vaccinations just to start school. That's just stupid and I would not subject my kids to that.

You are playing Russian roulette that your child won't become sick, then, with diseases that could be prevented.

I always say "you picks your poison".  The thing is, those who pick the poison of not vaccinating are reducing herd immunity levels.  Their choice affects everyone.

I'm gonna answer both of your responses to me here.

Smallpox WAS a victory and herd immunit is not a myth.  You can believe whatever you wish to regarding both.

Do you have a smallpox vaccination scar?

How do you know what research I have or haven't done?

It is always interesting to me when I'm in these discussions.  I have many friends who are doctors and healthcare professionals, in many different aspects of medicine.  One is an oncology nurse, one is a board certified family practice doctor, one is a neurologist, a pediatrician, an emergency room nurse, this is just off the top of my head.  Anyway, I have had discussions with every last one of them and to a one, they all think the anti-vaccination hooplah is absurd and they are vaccinated and vaccinate their children. 

My choice is to believe people who have done "research" or medical professionals and scientists. 

They would disagree with you, on just about everything.  What is it about you that would make you an "expert" to me?

I know very few women who have had VBAC's.  One of them that I know had a uterine rupture and has a severely brain damaged son.  From her perspective the risks outweight the advantages to VBAC.  I find her outlook no different than those who think the risks outweigh the advantages in regards to vaccination.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Let me guess.  She was induced or augmented?

The research shows that the risk of a natural VBAC after ONE ceserean is the same as if you had never had a ceserean.  That risk is almost tripled if labor is augmented or induced, specifically with cytotec, but others as well to a lesser degree, which is what the original research showed (a link between induction with cytotec during a vbac and uterine rupture).  The risk also goes up after two cesereans.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm not an expert.  I am constantly learning.  I don't just accept what someone tells me, regardless of the letters behind their names.  I confronted one dentist with a huge study done regarding the dangers of flouride, and she had never even heard of it, despite it being the largest study with the most people ever done.  The same thing with anytime I ask a doctor to explain in detail this research or that.  Several OB's I talked to were unaware of the fact that the study linking VBAC's to high uterine rupture rate was debunked as being flawed, even though it has been debunked for several years.  Doctors do what they're taught to do, which is to prescribe medication and make sure kids are immunized.  Regardless of the risks outweighing the benefits.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Do you realize that all of the people you mentioned went to school to learn how to precribe medication?  90% of their education is "what big pharma medicine would you prescribe for this symptom?"

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Herd Immunity is a myth.  90% of the adult population is unimmune because their shots wore off, yet disease levels remain extremely low.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I do not vax for 90% of the `recommendated' vaccines and will not.  What it came down to is this:  What is more important?  School or your child's health and well-being. 

Schooling your children has many options such as home school, virtual school, tutoring etc.  I can't think of a single way to find `options' to ensure the toxins that you are deliberately injecting into a tiny body don't sicken,  cause lifelong development/mental disabilities, and in some cases are fatal.  I'm not playing Russian Roulette with my children because the government orders me to.

Quoting gsprofval:

There are studies that it's the vaccinated kids who spread the disease, not so much the unvaccinated kids.

The schools require too many vaccinations any way which cause so many problems with kids--increases in autism, ADHD, etc.

Heck, many of the vaccinations aren't even in proper conditions to start with--kept at the wrong temperatures, outdated, full of mercury and preservatives, etc.

Why should a 5 year old have to get over 40 vaccinations just to start school. That's just stupid and I would not subject my kids to that.

You are playing Russian roulette that your child won't become sick, then, with diseases that could be prevented.

I always say "you picks your poison".  The thing is, those who pick the poison of not vaccinating are reducing herd immunity levels.  Their choice affects everyone.

Smallpox WAS a victory and herd immunit is not a myth.  You can believe whatever you wish to regarding both.

It is always interesting to me when I'm in these discussions.  I have many friends who are doctors and healthcare professionals, in many different aspects of medicine.  One is an oncology nurse, one is a board certified family practice doctor, one is a neurologist, a pediatrician, an emergency room nurse, this is just off the top of my head.  Anyway, I have had discussions with every last one of them and to a one, they all think the anti-vaccination hooplah is absurd and they are vaccinated and vaccinate their children. 

My choice is to believe people who have done "research" or medical professionals and scientists. 

They would disagree with you, on just about everything.  What is it about you that would make you an "expert" to me?

I know very few women who have had VBAC's.  One of them that I know had a uterine rupture and has a severely brain damaged son.  From her perspective the risks outweight the advantages to VBAC.  I find her outlook no different than those who think the risks outweigh the advantages in regards to vaccination.

babiesbabybaby development

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

The research shows that the risk of a natural VBAC after ONE ceserean is the same as if you had never had a ceserean.  That risk is almost tripled if labor is augmented or induced, specifically with cytotec, but others as well to a lesser degree, which is what the original research showed (a link between induction with cytotec during a vbac and uterine rupture).  The risk also goes up after two cesereans.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting gsprofval:

I don't know what augmented is.  I know she wasn't induced. 

I'm not arguing, btw, whether she is right or wrong.  For her, she's 100 percent correct.  Some people claiming vaccine injury may be correct as well.  But we are talking about what is safest for everyone, not what the exceptions are or what are the risks.  There is risk in everything.  I do not believe there are higher risks for vaccinating than for not vaccinating, at least not in the population at large, and not for long term.  I think we are going to see a disaster.  I know you disagree.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Augmented is if labor stalls and they do something to speed it up.  Natural augmentation would include moving around or nipple stimulation, artificial augmentation is breaking waters, medical augmentation is cytotec on the cervix or pitocin in the IV.

At any rate, you're absolutely right... everything has risks and benefits, and it is up to the individual (or their parent) to decide what is best for them (and their family).  My responsibility is to my children.  Not to yours.  And vice versa. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting gsprofval:

I don't know what augmented is.  I know she wasn't induced. 

I'm not arguing, btw, whether she is right or wrong.  For her, she's 100 percent correct.  Some people claiming vaccine injury may be correct as well.  But we are talking about what is safest for everyone, not what the exceptions are or what are the risks.  There is risk in everything.  I do not believe there are higher risks for vaccinating than for not vaccinating, at least not in the population at large, and not for long term.  I think we are going to see a disaster.  I know you disagree.

babiesbabybaby development

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured