Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"They Are A Bunch Of Hillbillies That Drive Pick-Up Trucks"

Posted by   + Show Post

I overheard someone saying this in reference to Republicans at a soccer game today. So, I'm curious... How many of you Republicans out there drive or have a husband who drives a pick-up truck? Let's see how accurate this stereotype is.

I am a registered Republican, and this is my daily driver:

LOL

As you all well know, I consider myself more of a Libertarian than a Republican, but when a Libertarian isn't available on the ballot, I vote Republican probably 80% of the time, with the other 20% going to conservative Democrats and Indies.

This is for fun, ladies. I'm just curious as to how accurate this stereotype is.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Replies (51-60):
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I live in Texas home of the republican red. They pretty much all drive trucks here so that statement is ignorant as the fool that said it.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Cleveland here. O-h!

Did you see that win today?

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

Can't figure out how to only quote the most recent response. Lol I'm from Akron. Lol

Quoting radioheid:

I live in NE Ohio. Hella hills, hella snow. lol

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

It's a stereotype that tends to have basis in fact. Rural areas tend to vote Republican and in rural areas, you live in BFE so you need the larger vehicles (ex. trucks, suvs) to make it through the snow (up north) or whatever is down south. More populated areas (such as big cities) tend to vote Democratic because of the issues that they deal with like large scale poverty. Oh and to answer your question: We are moderate Dems and my husband is going to get a truck the next time we get a new vehicle.

Quoting radioheid:

My twin sister is also a registered Repub. She also drives an SUV (Chevy Blazer). 

I didn't necessarily believe the stereotype, but I have heard similar comments before, so I was curious. My older sister, a Democrat, lived out in the sticks for a few years and bitched at length about all the rednecks with their Bush/Cheney bumper stickers on the back of their pick-up trucks. lol

Quoting Kylie819:

We are Republicans...we have an SUV and a minivan :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM

me and so are both democrats by registration we both have trucks. and we are not hillbillies I will have you know we are rednecks. :)

aMarieT
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM

exDh is registered republican and he drives a 07 VW Jetta (and he hates country music and has a masters degree)

I am registered unaffiliated (I lean conservative) and a drive a 00 Honda Odyssey

Lurion
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Well actually...

I work in marketing research, and read a study where they can actually predict very accurately which party you vote for, depending on the car you drive. 

Drive a Volvo or Subaru=Chances are you're a DEM

Quoting Stephanie329:

Do you mind if democrats answer? We have a pick-up truck. I don't think the car you drive defines what party you align with (not saying you think this OP) - unless it's plastered with Romney bumper stickers:)

I seriously saw very recently a Mcain/Palin bumper sticker.

laparla
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Not a Republican here, but once when I heard someone say that Republicans were good for nothing, I came back with "That's not true.  They change my oil four times a year."

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Cool.

I like beIng an exception to the rule :)

Quoting Lurion:

Well actually...

I work in marketing research, and read a study where they can actually predict very accurately which party you vote for, depending on the car you drive. 

Drive a Volvo or Subaru=Chances are you're a DEM

Quoting Stephanie329:

Do you mind if democrats answer? We have a pick-up truck. I don't think the car you drive defines what party you align with (not saying you think this OP) - unless it's plastered with Romney bumper stickers:)

I seriously saw very recently a Mcain/Palin bumper sticker.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM
I know you weren't talking to me, but...

I-O

Hell yeah, I saw that win :)
Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Cleveland here. O-h!

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

Can't figure out how to only quote the most recent response. Lol I'm from Akron. Lol

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

It's a stereotype that tends to have basis in fact. Rural areas tend to vote Republican and in rural areas, you live in BFE so you need the larger vehicles (ex. trucks, suvs) to make it through the snow (up north) or whatever is down south. More populated areas (such as big cities) tend to vote Democratic because of the issues that they deal with like large scale poverty. Oh and to answer your question: We are moderate Dems and my husband is going to get a truck the next time we get a new vehicle.

Quoting radioheid:

My twin sister is also a registered Repub. She also drives an SUV (Chevy Blazer). 

I didn't necessarily believe the stereotype, but I have heard similar comments before, so I was curious. My older sister, a Democrat, lived out in the sticks for a few years and bitched at length about all the rednecks with their Bush/Cheney bumper stickers on the back of their pick-up trucks. lol

Quoting Kylie819:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Right on! Props to anyone that can finish the shout out.

Quoting Stephanie329:

I-O

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Cleveland here. O-h!

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting Kylie819:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Dam* straight. We live in Utah now, but our vehicles are covered in buckeye gear. :) hubby just shouted an 'I-O!' on our bike ride in Utah today. :) the number of buckeye fans I run into, albeit my car, or what I wear is awesome. :)

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Right on! Props to anyone that can finish the shout out.

Quoting Stephanie329:

I-O

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Cleveland here. O-h!

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting Kylie819:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN