Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"They Are A Bunch Of Hillbillies That Drive Pick-Up Trucks"

Posted by   + Show Post

I overheard someone saying this in reference to Republicans at a soccer game today. So, I'm curious... How many of you Republicans out there drive or have a husband who drives a pick-up truck? Let's see how accurate this stereotype is.

I am a registered Republican, and this is my daily driver:

LOL

As you all well know, I consider myself more of a Libertarian than a Republican, but when a Libertarian isn't available on the ballot, I vote Republican probably 80% of the time, with the other 20% going to conservative Democrats and Indies.

This is for fun, ladies. I'm just curious as to how accurate this stereotype is.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Replies (91-95):
redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

we have a tiny cobalt lol but i drive my dads ford f150 if were towing the sail boat lol

oh and were all liberal over here >.<

kjoarcik
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Everybody in my area drives a pick up truck. Doesn't matter what their political stance is.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Lol.  I do like reading your posts Radioheid.  :)  Your posts are very informative & educational.  I understand what you are saying ok, just from my experience on CM & how I take things/words (even if it's being sensitive) as offensive.  Again, it depends on where you live.  Many other people would find certain words as offensive or even racist as well.  I personally, would NEVER want someone to call me a Hillbilly, Hick or any other word except for being White or Caucasian.

Since, this post was referring to what you overheard and THEY were referring to Reps. in driving trucks, well it's not even close to be true.  Then on top of that calling them "Hillbillies" ummmm  I don't even know what to say to that.  It's so crazy!  I'm sorry I just have to laugh at that.  It's as funny as once I heard it being said that Conservatives are A LOT more feminine then Dems.  Words that were used yrs. & yrs. ago, today can't be used.  Because, it can be very offensive or even racist towards any group of people.  So, it does seem to be that one has to VERY careful in what words they use. 

Quoting radioheid:

The term "hillbilly" was originally used by WHITES to describe the somewhat rowdy Irish hill & mountain folk around the time of the American Revolution. Just like "limey" was originally a slang term for British sailors because they carried limes and lime juice aboard their ships to prevent scurvy, and "kraut" in reference to Germans arose from...well...their love of sauerkraut. Some folks have decided these words are insults. Being German, English and Irish, I laugh at them, though I might point out to the user that I don't particularly care for sauerkraut, and the only lime I've had is the powdered kind added to candy and Kool Aid. lol 

I'm a fucking hillbilly. I'm cool with that. There's nothing wrong with it. It is part of who I am, and part of my heritage.

Sticks & stones. Was "hillbilly" ever meant to be a "bad" word? Jury's out, but I vote "NO". Most of the hillbillies I know smile at the term. Besides, I like living in a colorful world full of discussion, rather than one that is bland and politically correct. It seems some folks will get themselves bent over just about anything these days.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Well that's you & how you feel about being called a Hillbilly.  But, others would feel insulted by that term, even would say it's racist.  It also has to do with where you live. It apparently is accepted where you live.  IF other races, can say calling them a certain name is 'racist' towards them, then it works both ways.  Calling me or other white people a hick, hillbilly or another name other than 'a white person or caucasian", then that's an insult to me as a white woman.  I wouldn't even want to be called that from my own race.  But, again it depends on where you live. 

I think this post is kinda...well let it put it as, untrue.  It depends on where you live.  Where I live a VERY diverse pop., trucks are driven by ALL races.  Mostly, Whites & Hispanics. 

Quoting radioheid:

I live in the hill country just outside Appalachia. I have a lot of conservative values. My family is predominately German, English, Irish and Scots. I smoke, drink whiskey and drive a pickup truck. I'm a hillbilly. Nothing racist about it.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Well first of all, calling people "Hillibillies" is an insult, and to me IF there's many people that feel a certain word to describe a person/persons is 'racist' or an 'insult' then I would say too that calling me or my husband a 'Hillibilly" is just as much racist & an insult.  But, to just go along with with you said.  YES, my husband & I have ALWAYS drive a truck, because we either had a camper/trailer, so we needed a truck.  :) 

People that uses such words, are called a 'racist' all the time.  For example:  If one uses the word "negro", by a white person that's racist.  IF it was used towards a black person, that's ok.  (or the N word).  So, then saying Hillibilly IF said by a race other than whites, IS racist too.

beesbad
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

We're Independents and have voted for both Republicans and Democrats. We have a Chevy Silverado, a Honda Minivan, and a BMW. Our son drives the truck.

mik1of3
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

My dad is a 'yellow dog' Democrat, and has had a truck since I can remember....and I'm 47 years old.

My husband has a company truck...but his personal car is a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix.  I drive a 2008 HHR....it's more of a station wagon / SUV cross. 

My husband votes primarily Republican, and I USED to be as Democrat as my dad...but Al Gore ended that real quick.  Now, I vote Independent.  Some GOP, some Dem.  I usually keep it balanced between conservatives & the less liberal Dems. 

So I guess the HHR TOTALLY represents me, very accurately, too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)