Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Spanish Politician Resigns After Saying ‘Laws Are Like Women – There To Be Raped’

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM
  • 5 Replies

Spanish Politician Resigns After Saying ‘Laws Are Like Women – There To Be Raped’

October 6, 2012
By

Just when you thought the US cornered the market on vile, sexist politicians (legitimate rape) another politician, but this time from Spain, says something that would make even a Tea Partier (we hope) turn away in disgust. Jose Manuel Castelao Bragana, 71, who was the appointed President of the General Council of Spanish Citizens Abroad, part of the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs, said on Tuesday, ”Laws are like women — they are there to be raped.”

He resigned on Friday and despite the timing of the resignation, he insists the comment has nothing to do with it. From UPI:

“I have a personal situation, so I cannot take the job,” he said. “It has nothing to do with what happened, although it is true that it all adds up.”

He later walked back his statement, saying,

“I don’t share the sense of that [offensive] sentence, and that is not the sense I wanted to give. I quoted that sentence, I recognize it, but in the opposite sense, although I cannot blame another for a responsibility that is mine,” he told El Pais.

“I’m very sorry. I deeply regret what happened. And doubly, for those who heard it — most of them women — because I caused them pain, and for me, because I built a ‘building’ that is falling down on top of me,” he said.

His remark was in response to a document that required 10 signatures, but only had nine,

“It’s OK. Are there nine votes? Put 10. Laws are like women — they are there to be raped,” Castelao told the board members and other government officials and visitors, mostly women.

“I don’t share the sense of that [offensive] sentence, and that is not the sense I wanted to give. I quoted that sentence, I recognize it, but in the opposite sense, although I cannot blame another for a responsibility that is mine,” he told El Pais.

“I’m very sorry. I deeply regret what happened. And doubly, for those who heard it — most of them women — because I caused them pain, and for me, because I built a ‘building’ that is falling down on top of me,” he said.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Casteleo is a member of the conservative People’s Party and this controversy was probably the last thing the ruling party needed. Spain has experienced mass protests over the party’s austerity measures, which have caused drastic cuts in public services.

The reaction to Casteleo’s comment was swift. A spokeswoman called it “a swift and unfortunate phrase.” A letter was drafted demanding an apology. Some were probably almost as offended by his cavalier attitude toward the law as with his utter lack of civility and respect toward half the population. Appropriately, Casteleo’s replacement is a woman, Marina del Corral, Vice President of the agency.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Wow, that must be a Spanish saying
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM

wow

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM

blank stare

motherslove82
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Nice. <-------- sarcasm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diospira
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

It is a horrible quote, but to be fair it should be translated:

¨Laws are like women, made to be violated.¨

Glad to hear he resigned and was replaced by a woman. :-)

No Hope for change

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)