Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

People who value honesty should not be voting for Mitt Romney. The fact that people will still vote for him speaks volumes about them.

Posted by   + Show Post

When did we, as a culture, become so accepting of lies?

Quote:

Paul Krugman Blasts Media Over Presidential Debate: Press Can't 'Handle Flat-Out Untruths' (VIDEO)

Paul Krugman hammered the media over its handling of the first presidential debate, specifically what he said was its failure to fact-check Mitt Romney.

President Obama's performance on Wednesday dominated the roundtable discussion on ABC News' "This Week" Sunday. Instead of piling criticism on Obama like other pundits, however, Krugman took aim at factual inaccuracies made by Romney during the debate. Watch his remarks at the 6:39 mark in the clip above.

"I don’t know whether to blame Lehrer or the president but it was kind of amazing cause Romney was not only saying things that are not true, he was saying things that his own campaign had previously said weren’t true," he said.

The Nobel Prize-winning economist alleged that Romney displayed "contempt" for the press and assumed that "the news media will not cover me on this. As long as I say it forcefully, they'll say I won."

"Oh, so you’re saying the press is against Obama now?” panelist Mary Matalin asked in disbelief.

“The press just doesn’t know how to handle flat-out untruths," he said.

Other members of the roundtable objected. James Carville said that Obama could have confronted Romney "on any number of issues" during the debate, while Peggy Noonan insisted that it was "the president's job" to correct Romney's inaccuracies. Jonathan Karl claimed that Obama was also "loose with the facts."

"No, those were minor compared with Romney’s," Krugman said, when Karl gave specific examples.

to see the accompanying video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/07/paul-krugman-media-debate-reaction_n_1946360.html

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Replies (91-100):
JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
While I am not denying Romney did or did not lie... Obama has lied NUMEROUS times... So the entire arguememt is invalid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

So we all should be voting 3rd party then, right?

Quoting JamesMom714:

While I am not dying Romney did or did not lie... Obama has lied NUMEROUS times... So the entire arguememt is invalid.

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Quoting JamesMom714:

While I am not dying Romney did or did not lie... Obama has lied NUMEROUS times... So the entire arguememt is invalid.

http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/the-monday-line-mitt-romney-the-767-lyin-king/article20268.html

767 Lies this Campaign is the number Romney is touting at the moment. And we are not complaining that Mitt Romney lies once in awhile or once every so often, or sometimes over exaggerates, or uses hyperbole.

We are saying he lied nearly the entire time, and the times he was not lying he was flip flopping on his own issues/platform, and when he wasn't lying or flip flopping he seemed to be evading giving any details.

For example earlier Naturewomen offered "5 of the biggest" lies President Obama told and out of those five only one was an actual lie. And the degree of the lie wasn't that huge (But I give it still was a lie).

Now you compare that to things Mitt Romney were saying that had no basis in reality and are solid lies meant to sway people with no truth in reality. For example-When he said half of the Green Companies failed. 3 out of nearly 3 dozen have failed. The conservative sites that list 15 "fails" take companies from the broader 27,000 companies that got help in various other ways. But 3 out of three dozen is not half. And 15 out of 27,000  is not half. So either way you cut it. You can see how a bold face lie is a LOT different than the normal kind of lies you normally get from Politicians.

Again-I am not saying politicans never lie. I am not saying President Obama hasn't told a lie. I, we, are saying that President Obama hasn't told so many, and so bold lies.

http://www.roboromney.com/

You can actually pick an issue then pick liberal, moderate or conservative and you can get quotes of Romney supporting each side of the issue.

I am not saying Politicans can't lie. I am saying they shouldn't lie as much, and to the degree that Mitt Romney seems perfectly comfortable doing.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Shall we count Obamas lies and deceptions?

They both SUCK... Our entire system is flawed.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JamesMom714:

http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/the-monday-line-mitt-romney-the-767-lyin-king/article20268.html

767 Lies this Campaign is the number Romney is touting at the moment. And we are not complaining that Mitt Romney lies once in awhile or once every so often, or sometimes over exaggerates, or uses hyperbole.

We are saying he lied nearly the entire time, and the times he was not lying he was flip flopping on his own issues/platform, and when he wasn't lying or flip flopping he seemed to be evading giving any details.

For example earlier Naturewomen offered "5 of the biggest" lies President Obama told and out of those five only one was an actual lie. And the degree of the lie wasn't that huge (But I give it still was a lie).

Now you compare that to things Mitt Romney were saying that had no basis in reality and are solid lies meant to sway people with no truth in reality. For example-When he said half of the Green Companies failed. 3 out of nearly 3 dozen have failed. The conservative sites that list 15 "fails" take companies from the broader 27,000 companies that got help in various other ways. But 3 out of three dozen is not half. And 15 out of 27,000  is not half. So either way you cut it. You can see how a bold face lie is a LOT different than the normal kind of lies you normally get from Politicians.

Again-I am not saying politicans never lie. I am not saying President Obama hasn't told a lie. I, we, are saying that President Obama hasn't told so many, and so bold lies.

You can actually pick an issue then pick liberal, moderate or conservative and you can get quotes of Romney supporting each side of the issue.

I am not saying Politicans can't lie. I am saying they shouldn't lie as much, and to the degree that Mitt Romney seems perfectly comfortable doing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Agreed

Quoting JamesMom714:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JamesMom714:

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

while shouting about morals...

Quoting HIJKLM:

This will not change the minds of Romney supporters. It comes down to money or morals. Romney supporters chose money.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I would be interested in what the results were if someone did count Obama's lies.

I don't believe they would be as high as 767 or as bold face as some of his.

I do agree that our Two Party winner takes all system is completely flawed. I think a few of the biggest changes is making it so it is not a winner takes all system. If Third Party candidates were allowed to keep the seats they won it would promote third party growth.

Limiting the amount a campaign could spend would also encourage more Political Parties and keep out government out of the pockets of big million dollar investors.

There are a lot of ways to make our system better-Probably better ways then I just suggested but that is another topic all together. As an Independent I would like to see a system that is more Democratic in nature.

It shouldn't be Person A from Republicans or Persona B from Democrats. 

Quoting JamesMom714:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JamesMom714:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Totally agree, particularly about campaign financing. With regards to financing, we have recently gone backwards, IMO.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I would be interested in what the results were if someone did count Obama's lies.

I don't believe they would be as high as 767 or as bold face as some of his.

I do agree that our Two Party winner takes all system is completely flawed. I think a few of the biggest changes is making it so it is not a winner takes all system. If Third Party candidates were allowed to keep the seats they won it would promote third party growth.

Limiting the amount a campaign could spend would also encourage more Political Parties and keep out government out of the pockets of big million dollar investors.

There are a lot of ways to make our system better-Probably better ways then I just suggested but that is another topic all together. As an Independent I would like to see a system that is more Democratic in nature.

It shouldn't be Person A from Republicans or Persona B from Democrats. 

Quoting JamesMom714:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JamesMom714:

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM

That's not what I said, You said Romney supporters support money over morals, but they support money while screaming about morals....I was agreeing with you

Quoting HIJKLM:

How is what I said immoral? It's true. Romney supporters are concerned with fiscal issues (money) while Obama supporters are concerned with social issues (morals). I can not morally vote for someone like Romney.

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

while shouting about morals...

Quoting HIJKLM:

This will not change the minds of Romney supporters. It comes down to money or morals. Romney supporters chose money.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM

You know how I feel about taking classes versus learning by reading, whether books, articles, newspapers & online.  Taking classes are the views of that teacher, or books that they use for teaching those classes, were chosen & written by people with THEIR views.  Agree or not, that's how I feel.  Therefore, taking a class IMO doesn't teach anyone.  So, since you always keep telling me to take this class or that class.  I would tell you, maybe you should use 'common sense' & look around you.  Look out in society for one's OWN learnings.  Some of the smartest people in the World, learned everything by not even taking 1 step in a school.  Schools & classrooms are biased.  Just like the Media.  

Raintree, you don't seem to 'get it'.  A President was elected to do his job.  When they have a horrible record as Obama does, they DON'T get re-elected.  While being in office, THEY are responsible for what happens in the Country.  Like it or not.  Every President IS responsible for what happens.  Just like Business people, Owners of Businesses, THEY are held accountable for what happens while THEY are in charge.  That's the same for our elected President.  IF any other President, Dem. or Rep., at the end of their first term, has a horrible record & the Country is like the way it is now. 

They DON'T nor should they get re-elected.  Period.  As far as the job Romney did in MA, well I hear different stories on that.  But, the fact is he is WAY more qualify to be our President, than Obama is.  FACT is Raintree, why should a President be re-elected when ONLY 29% strongly approve of his job, versus 40% strongly DISAGREES with the job he has done.  His Pres. Approval Rating is -11, Obama is on the list of the worse President we've had.  Several articles/polls are saying he is the No. 1 WORSE President. 

Quoting Raintree:

Romney can't run on his record, because he was awful at job creation. It isn't what he knows how to do- quite the opposite, in fact. While he was governor, Massachusettes was sitting somewhere around number 47 for job growth. Woo!

Obama has been forced to run on his record and that of a largely gridlocked congress, determined to shift what they've done onto him and make him a 'one term president'.

Obama doesn't control gas prices or food prices. Supply and Demand, Dee? Ever heard of that?

Maybe you should add Macroeconomics onto your list of needed classes.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Gee, I'm just not understanding why Liberals here refuse to admit Romney CRUSHED Obama in the 1st Debate.  The 'fact' IS Obama can't run on his record.  The 'fact' is each yr. Obama was in office, things got WORSE for the majority of Americans.  'fact' is that REAL unemployment, which is going by the U6 table, which COUNTS those 23M people that ARE looking for work but is discouraged, therefore the REAL number is 14.7%.  Also, those that are ONLY getting p/t & can be ONLY working 1 hr. a wk. the Labor Dept. considers that is working??  That is the ONLY reason why the numbers went down to under 8%.  Such BS.

FACT:  whether people want to admit it or not.  Gas prices are already out of control & getting worse, food, utilities, EVERYTHING is going up.  Obama is doing NOTHING about this, or like some want to say it's out of his control.  He PROMISED our Healthcare premiums would go down under Obamacare.  HE LIED!  It went up from $3,515 in 09', to $4,316 in 2012.  IT is going up all the time under Obamacare.  Obamacare is CRUSHING Medicare, he took 716B out of Medicare.  Doesn't anyone care about Seniors, I guess not.  But, those ARE THE FACT PEOPLE!!  NOT LIES, not misstating any facts here. 

WHY else is Obama on the list of the worse Presidents, even on some lists he's the WORSE!  Yet, people still would vote for him?  WHY would people vote for a President that would HAVE TO continue to borrow from China.  I guess no one is concerned, like Obama isn't concerned (just needing alittle tweeting umm), about Soc. Sec.  OR the fact that 15% of Drs. won't be taking anymore Medicare patients.  4M will lose Medicare Advantage.  CBO states that 20M will lose their Ins. when Obamacare goes into effect. 

I guess people also don't mind if it will take till 2025 at the rate Obama is going, to MAYBE getting on the road to recovery in regards to jobs.  ONLY 63.6% of Americans are working, lowest since Carter.  Worse economy since WWII.  Obama said with his stimulus the unemployment would go down to 5.6%.  HE's no where close to that. 50% of college grads. can't find work or is either working at McDonalds or p/t.  These ARE the FACTS people, ignore them if you want.  Deny them if you want.  So, IF you don't care about these facts, then sure vote for Obama.  But, IF you CARE then I just can't see how ANYONE can vote for Obama.  Because, these FACTS are the MOST important issues today in America. 

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

you saying "fact" before a statement does not make it a fact...those are your opinions, that is a fact

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I'm deflecting? ummm lol...No, I'm being honest & I would think others would want to be too.  I'd rather keep things 'real'.  Facts are facts AtoZ.  But, people don't seem to care about 'facts'.  FACT:  Obama can't run on his record.  FACT:  Obama, in each of his yrs. as President, made things WORSE, not better.  FACT:  Obama won't change a thing IF he gets another 4 yrs., therefore things will get even worse.  Obama will go down to being one of the WORSE President ever.  Give him another 4 yrs., NO President in our lifetime will ever caught up to him being the WORSE President ever.  That's pretty bad if you ask me. 

But, you know what?  In some ways, I really don't care IF Obama wins.  In SOME ways I'd like to see him have another 4 yrs.  To show those that voted for him & ALL of the World, just what a joke America is & the people that lives here.  Give him another 4 yrs., to see him further destroy this Country.  To have MORE Americans living & proverty.  The crime rate will be SO high.  IF people want that....then they can have it as far as I'm concerned.

FACT: (to me & many others) Obama intended to bring America down.  He's succeeded so far.  Millions of people watched the debate AtoZ.  Romney clearly won the 1st debate, & many agrees.  End of story......Bring on the next debate now.  Ryan will CRUSH Biden...

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

You know AtoZ, the ending title of this post says "The fact that people will still vote for him SPEAKS VOLUMES ABOUT THEM".  So, since this title is talking about Romney, I would have to also say the same about Obama.  Fair is fair.  People want to talk about the 'supposedly' lies Romney has said, well let's also look at Obama's.  I just listed 5 of the WORSE lies, basically MOST of what Obama says is a lie IMO.  I'm not going to get into what it says about those that vote for Obama.  That would be a completely different post on it's on. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

The people that vote for Obama, speaks VOLUMES about them.  It's funny how people still don't like the fact that Romney CRUSHED Obama in the 1st debates.  It's quite obvious by all the posts we are seeing about Romney.  Talk about 'lies' Obama has been the BIGGEST of telling lies there is.  He has been our President for 3 1/2 yrs., so he already has had the time now to be called out for his lies.  Obama simply doesn't know what to do anymore.  He never did.  He can't run on his record.  So, what does he have?  Romney was just bringing that to the attention of the American people.  He did a GREAT job at that too :)  

10 mins. or so into the debates, people went online to reg. as a Rep.  The amount was double I believe is what I heard.  So, obviously Romney got people's attention.  :)  Can't wait for the Ryan/Biden debates!!!  Ryan is going to CRUSH Biden as well :)woohoo 

Please, do tell................what does it say about me that I am voting for Obama?

You are deflecting.

But that's okay.  

Perhaps you have learned something from Romney.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN