Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

People who value honesty should not be voting for Mitt Romney. The fact that people will still vote for him speaks volumes about them.

Posted by   + Show Post

When did we, as a culture, become so accepting of lies?

Quote:

Paul Krugman Blasts Media Over Presidential Debate: Press Can't 'Handle Flat-Out Untruths' (VIDEO)

Paul Krugman hammered the media over its handling of the first presidential debate, specifically what he said was its failure to fact-check Mitt Romney.

President Obama's performance on Wednesday dominated the roundtable discussion on ABC News' "This Week" Sunday. Instead of piling criticism on Obama like other pundits, however, Krugman took aim at factual inaccuracies made by Romney during the debate. Watch his remarks at the 6:39 mark in the clip above.

"I don’t know whether to blame Lehrer or the president but it was kind of amazing cause Romney was not only saying things that are not true, he was saying things that his own campaign had previously said weren’t true," he said.

The Nobel Prize-winning economist alleged that Romney displayed "contempt" for the press and assumed that "the news media will not cover me on this. As long as I say it forcefully, they'll say I won."

"Oh, so you’re saying the press is against Obama now?” panelist Mary Matalin asked in disbelief.

“The press just doesn’t know how to handle flat-out untruths," he said.

Other members of the roundtable objected. James Carville said that Obama could have confronted Romney "on any number of issues" during the debate, while Peggy Noonan insisted that it was "the president's job" to correct Romney's inaccuracies. Jonathan Karl claimed that Obama was also "loose with the facts."

"No, those were minor compared with Romney’s," Krugman said, when Karl gave specific examples.

to see the accompanying video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/07/paul-krugman-media-debate-reaction_n_1946360.html

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
mustbeGRACE
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this

This post is a joke, right?

To call Mr. Obama a liar would be kind.....

He is a scummy person.

Period.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting TB78:

I believe that the lying has been going on for decades! That's why it's called "Mudslinging"

Mudslinging is not the same as out right lying.

Mudslinging is calling someone who is Pro-Choice pro-abortion. Sure it is still a lie but it's the message they are trying to convey through that lie when they say it-An exaggeration. (At least I hope) They understand no one is actually pro-abortion.

However, an out right lie is completely different. If Romney says that half of the Green Companies that got stimulus money failed when in fact only 3 of nearly 3 dozen have failed it is an out right lie. Not an exaggeration as the one above but a complete lie.

Lying is not the same as mudslinging.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

This post is a joke, right?

To call Mr. Obama a liar would be kind.....

He is a scummy person.

Period.

You certainly like to stomp your feet.

Don't they hurt?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

LoganTroyMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Still voting romneh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree.

But it seems there are so many people who like "smart asses" and behave in a smart ass kind of way and think they are proving something. I don't respect "smart asses". I respect polite and restrained, quietly strong  kind of men. Obama showed restraint and control. Romney went over the line with his attitude. Arrogance and "smartass" doesn't impress me, it doesn't show strength ....its juvenile.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I can see why some are saying they feel the President should have been more forceful with Romney, calling him on the carpet, so to speak.  But I can also see why the President did not do this.

Winning the debate by being 'forceful' and rude, not to mention unprofessional, astounds me.  I don't care who was involved in the debate.

Being a smart ass does not always equal being as smart as you want people to believe you are.  Now, Romney is an intelligent man but he appeared less than with throwing around the attitude and fluffing his feathers rather than acting with some decorum, professionalism and candor.

Seems many people don't care about those things in a person.  That's cool.  That is on them, their choice.  I differ with those opinions.

timeforprogress
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Probably around the same time we became content with simply calling ourselves exceptional without having to actually sacrifice and work for it. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM
3 moms liked this

LOL....at the words coming from the Pot.

LoriKeet
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM
7 moms liked this
The fact that people will vote again for Obama shows they haven't learned a damn thing in the last four years or they are among the 47% who don't pay income tax!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM
3 moms liked this
Hasn't MR retracted his statement re the 47%, claiming it was not true?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Those damn poor people, old people and military people only bring the country down. We should go back to land requirements so only the right kind of people can vote. Is that what we should do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN