Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

People who value honesty should not be voting for Mitt Romney. The fact that people will still vote for him speaks volumes about them.

Posted by   + Show Post

When did we, as a culture, become so accepting of lies?

Quote:

Paul Krugman Blasts Media Over Presidential Debate: Press Can't 'Handle Flat-Out Untruths' (VIDEO)

Paul Krugman hammered the media over its handling of the first presidential debate, specifically what he said was its failure to fact-check Mitt Romney.

President Obama's performance on Wednesday dominated the roundtable discussion on ABC News' "This Week" Sunday. Instead of piling criticism on Obama like other pundits, however, Krugman took aim at factual inaccuracies made by Romney during the debate. Watch his remarks at the 6:39 mark in the clip above.

"I don’t know whether to blame Lehrer or the president but it was kind of amazing cause Romney was not only saying things that are not true, he was saying things that his own campaign had previously said weren’t true," he said.

The Nobel Prize-winning economist alleged that Romney displayed "contempt" for the press and assumed that "the news media will not cover me on this. As long as I say it forcefully, they'll say I won."

"Oh, so you’re saying the press is against Obama now?” panelist Mary Matalin asked in disbelief.

“The press just doesn’t know how to handle flat-out untruths," he said.

Other members of the roundtable objected. James Carville said that Obama could have confronted Romney "on any number of issues" during the debate, while Peggy Noonan insisted that it was "the president's job" to correct Romney's inaccuracies. Jonathan Karl claimed that Obama was also "loose with the facts."

"No, those were minor compared with Romney’s," Krugman said, when Karl gave specific examples.

to see the accompanying video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/07/paul-krugman-media-debate-reaction_n_1946360.html

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM
2 moms liked this

The people that vote for Obama, speaks VOLUMES about them.  It's funny how people still don't like the fact that Romney CRUSHED Obama in the 1st debates.  It's quite obvious by all the posts we are seeing about Romney.  Talk about 'lies' Obama has been the BIGGEST of telling lies there is.  He has been our President for 3 1/2 yrs., so he already has had the time now to be called out for his lies.  Obama simply doesn't know what to do anymore.  He never did.  He can't run on his record.  So, what does he have?  Romney was just bringing that to the attention of the American people.  He did a GREAT job at that too :)  

10 mins. or so into the debates, people went online to reg. as a Rep.  The amount was double I believe is what I heard.  So, obviously Romney got people's attention.  :)  Can't wait for the Ryan/Biden debates!!!  Ryan is going to CRUSH Biden as well :)woohoo 

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Want to talk about the lies.  How about ALL of Obama's?  Here's just a list of the 5 BIGGEST lies.

1.  Said his plan would reduce the deficit by 4T.  It has already been 'fact-checked'& recognized even by the Liberals in mainstream media organizations. At the debate, Obama incrediby said "I've proposed a specific 4T deficit reduction plan.  The way we do it is $2.50 for every cut, we ask for $1 in additional revenue".  In the Wash. Post, even the Liberal Glen Kessler did not take Obama serious.  Writing "virtually" no serious budget analyst agreed with this accounting.

2.  Obama falsely claimed Romney's plan would raise taxes on middle class families.  Obama on Tues., said under Romney's plan "The average middle class family with children would pay about 2K more.  But, The Associated Press agreed with studies the Romney campaign showed his plan WOULD NOT raise taxes on anyone.

3.  Obama said Obamacare would make healthcare premiums more affordable.  On Tues. Obama said 'factcheck.org' found "Obama wrongly said that over the last 2 yrs. healthcare premiums have "gone up slower than anytime in the last 50 yrs."  The L.A. Times discovered that Obama promise that he would "Cut family health Ins. premiums in his 1st term, stands as of the President's biggest unfilled promise. In fact the average employee share of an Employer provided health plan jumped from $3,515 09' to $4,316 in 2012, increase of more than 22%.  According to Kaiser.  Family coverage is $15,745 for which the Employee pays $4,300.

4.  Obama said he created 5M private sector jobs.  But, even Glenn Kessler, Wash. Post, said Obama was trying to "Obscure the fact that the overall job record so far in the Pres. term has been negative".

5.  Obama said Soc. Sec. is "structually sound"....Big Joke!!  Even the Liberal Andrea Mitchell, on MSNBC, cited a Congressional Budget office study that found Soc. Sec. would run into financial trouble. 

AMBG825
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:36 AM
3 moms liked this

If people don't want to vote for a liar, they wouldn't vote Obama either. He wasn't exactly the beacon of truth.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Actually, there is no one that I would put on the same plane as Krugman.  Right or left.

Quoting tweety101149:

Quoting Carpy:

Change that heading to Obama.

And Paul Krugman is such a nut, I find it hard to even think of torturing myself by reading what he writes or listening to him speak.

So, you would rather torture yourself reading the lies of Republican politicians..and pundits. Listening to Ann Coulter.. makes me sick to my stomach., more than any other.., I would rather torture myself reading or listening to Glenn Bleck, or Rush Limbaugh.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is more telling about the people who vote for Romney. Of course it is easy to win a debate if all you do is flip flop on your issues and lie about the things you don't flip flop about.

If you need an example of him flip flopping go to http://www.roboromney.com/

It's a site where you can pick an issue, then click Liberal Moderate or Conservative and it will give you quotes from Romney supporting that statement.

I hope you understand the difference between a lie and not performing an example. Saying you are going to cut the deficit in half and not being able to do it is not the same as out right lying like Romney did.

Again-It's easy to make someone look bad if you are just going to lie the whole time about him.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

The people that vote for Obama, speaks VOLUMES about them.  It's funny how people still don't like the fact that Romney CRUSHED Obama in the 1st debates.  It's quite obvious by all the posts we are seeing about Romney.  Talk about 'lies' Obama has been the BIGGEST of telling lies there is.  He has been our President for 3 1/2 yrs., so he already has had the time now to be called out for his lies.  Obama simply doesn't know what to do anymore.  He never did.  He can't run on his record.  So, what does he have?  Romney was just bringing that to the attention of the American people.  He did a GREAT job at that too :)  

10 mins. or so into the debates, people went online to reg. as a Rep.  The amount was double I believe is what I heard.  So, obviously Romney got people's attention.  :)  Can't wait for the Ryan/Biden debates!!!  Ryan is going to CRUSH Biden as well :)woohoo 

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Quote:

1.  Said his plan would reduce the deficit by 4T.  It has already been 'fact-checked'& recognized even by the Liberals in mainstream media organizations. At the debate, Obama incrediby said "I've proposed a specific 4T deficit reduction plan.  The way we do it is $2.50 for every cut, we ask for $1 in additional revenue".  In the Wash. Post, even the Liberal Glen Kessler did not take Obama serious.  Writing "virtually" no serious budget analyst agreed with this accounting.
At least the details are there for his plan so people can look at it. Opposite Romney's plan where he says he will cute taxes 20% across the board and pay for it by closing tax loop holes (But not saying which ones) and close/slash government programs (But not saying which ones) and then refusing any analysis done on it.

If you are calling a projection a lie-Then Romney Lied the entire time as well about his plan. But even then President Obama stayed true to his plan. Romney on the other plan flipped flopped on his. Denying parts that he didn't want to talk about (Out right lying).

Quote:

2.  Obama falsely claimed Romney's plan would raise taxes on middle class families.  Obama on Tues., said under Romney's plan "The average middle class family with children would pay about 2K more.  But, The Associated Press agreed with studies the Romney campaign showed his plan WOULD NOT raise taxes on anyone.
Again-That's not a lie. He said based on a study from the Tax Policy Center. According to the study based on the Tax Policy Center it is true.

They conclude it would be impossible for Romney to meet all of his stated goals without shifting some of the tax burden from people who make more than 200,000 to people who make less.

And on the other hand you have the Romney campaign who -believe- (There is no proof for this but it is their hope) that their plans will stimuluate the economy enough to generate additional tax revenue without shifting any of the tax burden to the middle class. However, Congress doesn't use those kinds of projections when it estimates the effect of tax legislation.

And Romney has left us with no reason to "Just trust him" when it comes to taxes. Especially from someone who is hiding his own.

Quote:

3.  Obama said Obamacare would make healthcare premiums more affordable.  On Tues. Obama said 'factcheck.org' found "Obama wrongly said that over the last 2 yrs. healthcare premiums have "gone up slower than anytime in the last 50 yrs."  The L.A. Times discovered that Obama promise that he would "Cut family health Ins. premiums in his 1st term, stands as of the President's biggest unfilled promise. In fact the average employee share of an Employer provided health plan jumped from $3,515 09' to $4,316 in 2012, increase of more than 22%.  According to Kaiser.  Family coverage is $15,745 for which the Employee pays $4,300.
You understand the magnitude of this lie compared to that of Romney, right? Here we have President Obama trying to mirror the statement that Bill Clinton used during the DMC (Which tries to give credit to Obamacare) perhaps over exaggerating the truth.

But put that opposite of Romney's claim that half of the Green Companies helped by the Stimulus have failed when the data shows Only three out of Three dozen have gone bankrupt.

The last time I had this debate with a conservative they brought a list of 15 Green Companies that "failed" but they varied from the list of three dozen that borrowed and from companies part of a pool of 27,000 companies. And when I pointed out that 15 out of 27,033 companies is still not half and they dropped it.

Or you can look at when Romney said the medical board part of Obama's plan could determine what treatment or services are allowed when that is opposite of what the law says which strictly prohibits that. And even if it started happening via price reductions Congress is allowed to overturn the board and stop it from happening. So it is not allowed, and if it happened anyways it has a way to fix it.

See how these are both direct lies? Not exaggerations. But direct lies. I can keep going if you want. Or I can move onto all the times Romney flipped flopped on his own issues if you like.

Quote:

4.  Obama said he created 5M private sector jobs.  But, even Glenn Kessler, Wash. Post, said Obama was trying to "Obscure the fact that the overall job record so far in the Pres. term has been negative".
It's funny that you use a lie to try to prove President Obama lied. He statement is true-Well according to the numbers. And if you don't use the numbers that haven't been published yet and just go by what is currently out there he is sitting at 4.6 Million Private Sector jobs.

The funny part is I got that informationf rom http://factcheck.org/ that you linked earlier. Are you trying to Cherry Pick your information now?

Quote:

5.  Obama said Soc. Sec. is "structually sound"....Big Joke!!  Even the Liberal Andrea Mitchell, on MSNBC, cited a Congressional Budget office study that found Soc. Sec. would run into financial trouble.
I find it ironic that you leave out the part right after where he says it still needs to be tweaked. I think he was pointing out that he was not going to strap the idea of Social Security but it still needs to be worked on. But of course you wouldn't leave that part in, right?

Do you understand the difference between the kind of lies we are talking about, yet?

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Please, do tell................what does it say about me that I am voting for Obama?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Mitt flip flopped again. First he said, "We have a potentially volatile situation, but we sort of live with it," Romney said at the May fundraiser, comparing the peace process to the decades-long standoff between China and Taiwan. "And we kick the ball down the field and hope that ultimately somehow, something will happen to resolve it."   http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/08/14279951-in-foreign-policy-speech-romney-will-encourage-military-spending-syria-intervention#comments

And now he wants to get involved in Syria. Good Idea Mitt, lets get involved in yet another war when we have no means to pay for whatever action you would decide we need to take over there.

The article is a bit long but interesting and its a bit scary to think about how much involvment in the ME, Romney would be looking for.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM

He seems to be gunning for more action in the region.

But he won't increase the debt load-

Quoting meriana:

Mitt flip flopped again. First he said, "We have a potentially volatile situation, but we sort of live with it," Romney said at the May fundraiser, comparing the peace process to the decades-long standoff between China and Taiwan. "And we kick the ball down the field and hope that ultimately somehow, something will happen to resolve it."   http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/08/14279951-in-foreign-policy-speech-romney-will-encourage-military-spending-syria-intervention#comments

And now he wants to get involved in Syria. Good Idea Mitt, lets get involved in yet another war when we have no means to pay for whatever action you would decide we need to take over there.

The article is a bit long but interesting and its a bit scary to think about how much involvment in the ME, Romney would be looking for.

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
WinningWinning
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Lying is subjective.

Just as truth and morals are.

You can't control people or their thoughts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN