Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Police say NC mom tattooed 11-year-old daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

30-year-old Odessa Clay

30-year-old Odessa Clay

HAVELOCK, N.C. — A heavily tattooed mother is in trouble with the law after giving her 11-year-old daughter a tattoo.

WCTI reports 30-year-old Odessa Clay says she didn’t know that tattooing a minor is illegal even with a parent’s permission.

Clay gave her daughter a small, heart-shaped tattoo near her right shoulder. She says the girl asked for the tattoo.

Havelock Police charged Clay with tattooing a person under 18.

Clay now lives near Grantsboro in Pamlico County.

Clay used her own tools and said she numbed her daughter’s arm. She says she tattooed the outline of a heart and didn’t fill in the entire shape.

The mother says she believes an ex in-law reported the tattoo to retaliate against her.

Clay is due in court on the tattooing charge next month.

Should she be charged?

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
jynkx
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM

i got my first one at 13 and no consent.....lol.  i still remember the first time my mom saw it....lol.  she was not a happy camper and said i have graffiti on myself like a brick wall.....lol.

Quoting mommie_x0x:

Hmm. Eleven I think is to young. But I got my first tattoo at the age of 16 my parents consented to it for it was a birthday present and they were there with me when I got it done.. I didn't know its against the law even with a parents consent .

come follow me as i talk about all sorts of things! http://msjynkx.blogspot.com/

BuzyMommy35
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM
I don't like the fact that the government can step in and make decisions as to what we can and can't do with our kids. What if they decide ear. Piercing is not ok next. However OMG what an idiot....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM
No I don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

There are bracelets out there that you can GPS your child. Runners that are non-verbal are no fun. You might want to look into the bracelets. My child wore one for around 2 years.

Quoting trippyhippy:

What a fucking idiot.  We have actually talked about wishing it was legal to tattoo our child (my husband is a tattoo artist), but that's because he has special needs and has a history of elloping and has limited language.  It would be great to be able to tattoo his name and ss# on his butt or something.  But we never would because it is illegal and we would never want to cause him pain.  This idiot probable put some ice on her kid and then poked her with a dirty needle and  pen ink.  I think she needs to be made to take parenting classes at the very least.

singlemom1208
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM
I'm mixed up on this one too

Quoting Donna6503:

Honestly I have mix feelings on this one. I don't know what I hate worst; giving the government more power over the decision of raising a child by the parent or allowing such a stupid decision by an idiotic parent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmoosesmom
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM

wow. I'm almost ashamed to say I am tattooed and Live in North C after this post. Stupid moron. You don't give an 11 year old a tattoo just because she asks for it. one its stupid two its illgel in our state. Piercings aren't, but Tattoos are VERY much so. (fyi, there are some piercings that are illegal for minors to get.)

lilmoosesmom
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Fyi most states its 16 with parents permisson. North Carolina is an odd ball state that doesn't allowed minors at all.

RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Im a heavily tattooed mom.. people ask me when im gonna let my kids get tattooed.  My reply "18.  They arent blaming me for some stupid ink I consented too."

End of story.  A responisble parent wouldnt allow a child to be tattooed.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM

A tattoo is not the same as piercing your ears.

SMH

Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM

She was lucky that she didn't cause injury and that is all--lucky.

This Mom wasn't abusive but she was ignorant and especially if she isn't a licensed tattoo artist who has been trained to do tattoos. Numbing the shoulder was not enough and again, she was lucky that she did not bring harm to her child.

Should all laws and rules by the government be kept out of your home?

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I don't think she should have been charged. And when someone asked what if she had caused injury, if she had caused injury, it would make sense to be angry with an abusive parent whose idiocy harmed their child. No harm, no foul. Get the govt out my house

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)