Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Police say NC mom tattooed 11-year-old daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

30-year-old Odessa Clay

30-year-old Odessa Clay

HAVELOCK, N.C. — A heavily tattooed mother is in trouble with the law after giving her 11-year-old daughter a tattoo.

WCTI reports 30-year-old Odessa Clay says she didn’t know that tattooing a minor is illegal even with a parent’s permission.

Clay gave her daughter a small, heart-shaped tattoo near her right shoulder. She says the girl asked for the tattoo.

Havelock Police charged Clay with tattooing a person under 18.

Clay now lives near Grantsboro in Pamlico County.

Clay used her own tools and said she numbed her daughter’s arm. She says she tattooed the outline of a heart and didn’t fill in the entire shape.

The mother says she believes an ex in-law reported the tattoo to retaliate against her.

Clay is due in court on the tattooing charge next month.

Should she be charged?

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM
I'll admit that I'm operating from the generous assumption that she is licensed and responsible as well. So this is more of a ear piercing thing in my opinion. Yes, the health issues are numerous and important, but this is more parental choice thing for me. How far to protect people.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

She was lucky that she didn't cause injury and that is all--lucky.

This Mom wasn't abusive but she was ignorant and especially if she isn't a licensed tattoo artist who has been trained to do tattoos. Numbing the shoulder was not enough and again, she was lucky that she did not bring harm to her child.

Should all laws and rules by the government be kept out of your home?

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I don't think she should have been charged. And when someone asked what if she had caused injury, if she had caused injury, it would make sense to be angry with an abusive parent whose idiocy harmed their child. No harm, no foul. Get the govt out my house

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM

My husband has two tattoos that he had done on a drunken whim at about 18 years old and they were done in the garage of a friend--an unlicensed friend who had the "right tools" and "numbed" the areas where the tats were done (hand and bicep). For both and no matter the amount of alcohol in my husband's system, it was incredibly painful too because it was being done by someone who did not do this on a regular basis and while being inked himself, probably didn't know what he was doing.

Even the most responsible parent IMO, needs to take ALL precautions and one of those precautions should have been taking her young daughter to a professional at the very minimum. I'm gathering this is illegal possibly in their state? 18 or older, I believe?

11-years old is incredibly young to get a tattoo. Yes, it's HER child but it does make you wonder what else will be given the green light for this young girl?

There are many tattoo artists--professionals--who would never touch a child that young.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I'll admit that I'm operating from the generous assumption that she is licensed and responsible as well. So this is more of a ear piercing thing in my opinion. Yes, the health issues are numerous and important, but this is more parental choice thing for me. How far to protect people.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

She was lucky that she didn't cause injury and that is all--lucky.

This Mom wasn't abusive but she was ignorant and especially if she isn't a licensed tattoo artist who has been trained to do tattoos. Numbing the shoulder was not enough and again, she was lucky that she did not bring harm to her child.

Should all laws and rules by the government be kept out of your home?

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I don't think she should have been charged. And when someone asked what if she had caused injury, if she had caused injury, it would make sense to be angry with an abusive parent whose idiocy harmed their child. No harm, no foul. Get the govt out my house

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Lulz...you can't tattoo your kid but you can opt to have their genitals permanently altered, against their will. What a silly fucking country we live in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissam78
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:47 PM
While I don't think any parent should allow their child to get a tattoo at such a young age whether by their own hands or someone else's (that's just common sence) I got my first tattoo (a small heart) when I was 13 from my brother who was 16,not saying its right either way but a PARENT,you just don't do that.as for how this should be delt with,*hands in the air*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I thought if you had parental permission it was ok.

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Doesn't surprise me. Outside of the base @ Cherry Point, Havelock is a shit hole.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Okay, so when I get to have my Grandson here for a couple weeks this winter, without his Mommy (we're on either end of the east coast)....I get to have him tattoo'd. It's gonna say "I love Grammy the most"

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I don't think so. I don't think it was anything more than a poor parenting choice.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Quoting EireLass:

I thought if you had parental permission it was ok.

I had lots of underage piercings with my moms permission and she never got in trouble. And they weren't just silly little belly-buttons and eye brows, i had surface piercings.

TB78
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Well seeing that there have been recent recalls on tattoo ink because of possible tainting with some diseases in it hopefully the mother did her research before inking her 11 year old. IMO any child under 16 is off limits for tattooing and btw TATTOOS ARE PERMANENT EAR PIERCINGS ARE NOT!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN