Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What, exactly is the claim that the September unemployment numbers are falsified about, anyway?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM
  • 99 Replies
1 mom liked this

So it has been repeatedly stated in threads on this board that the report is somehow false, or misleading in some way.  What is behind this claim?  Do people really think that the numbers are false?  Do they think that the number is only down because of people who have dropped out of the workforce?   Are there really people who think Obama can influence the BLS to put out false numbers?

It seems to be the latest Republican talking point.  

ETA Here is the link to the Sept report.  You can also read past reports and look up stats, even for the "real" unemployment number.  They will explain what each number means and who it will include, it is an interesting site. http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM
6 moms liked this

People are ridiculous, and apparently do not know how things work, and will make up crap to make up for their lack of knowledge.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

From what I have read, people are saying that the numbers are skewed due to holiday hiring and that those who have stopped looking for work are skewing the numbers as well.

Forget that people are working, it is never enough for some.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM
What AtoZ said
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

This was already hashed over on another post.  So, why are you doing it again?

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM
4 moms liked this

Except the report has always referenced those who have dropped out of the workforce, and according to the September report, that number stayed the same (while it is of course way too high.)  It showed the number of unemployed for 5 weeks or less DECREASED which means people were hired out of that pool or we haven't gained more people in that group, at least.  Then it listed several areas where the number of jobs increased.  Manufacturing was down.

It's just annoying when you say the report looked more positive, people jump on this stuff which has been present all along, acting like they really have a "gotcha."  Those numbers have been in the report all along.  This report is more positive than in a long time, furthermore the August numbers were adjusted, increasing the number of people hired by quite a bit.

Do people just not want the unemployment rate going down, or what?  Do they wish it was worse for political reasons?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

From what I have read, people are saying that the numbers are skewed due to holiday hiring and that those who have stopped looking for work are skewing the numbers as well.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I was in a post talking about it but didn't get a response to my posting the actual numbers.  People just kept repeating that "they aren't including the people who have dropped out of the workforce."  That is specifically why I posted this question.

So, I am doing it again to get a clear answer as to why people are ignoring that this report shows that the unemployment situation is looking better.

Quoting grandmab125:

This was already hashed over on another post.  So, why are you doing it again?

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM
5 moms liked this
The same exact things Dems pointed out is wrong when numbers were released during Bush years. The numbers donot reflect the millions unemoloyed but NOT on the unemployment rolls. So the problem is in not counting the millions who have run out of unemploment but who are still not working. Or so Dems insisted was the case 5 years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asfriend
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
The problem is that people are not working.

Amazing the lack of any math, civics, or government knowledge the majority of you all have.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Quoting asfriend:

The problem is that people are not working.

Amazing the lack of any math, civics, or government knowledge the majority of you all have.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

It seems to me that some people who where previously unemployed are now employed.  If, in fact, some of those included are working these temp, holiday jobs, they are still working.  At this point, that employment, that money coming in is better than what they had prior to.  

Even if the employment is fast food, retail, what have you, it is better, most times, than not.  What jobs is it you wish for every one to acquire that would make you feel better?  I realize may feel a temporary job does not count.  I bet it does for those who have that money coming in the form of a pay check.

This does not solve the issue.  But is indeed an improvement for many.  Many workers, if temp, could very well turn to regular work for them which they did not have before.

I'm not saying the numbers may, or may not, include what others find to be 'questinalbe employement'.  I am saying that there are those people out there who are now employed whereas they where not previously.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM
4 moms liked this

I obviously didn't get accross my point clearly.  What I have said is the numbers of long term unemployed have not gone up, according to the September report.  Also those numbers are NEVER included in the "official" unemployment rate so the drop is actually comparing apples to apples.  It's not like they JUST started using these numbers.

So why are all conservatives acting like the report is bad, and that it is only due to the long-term unemployed when 1.The number of long term employed has not gone up, and 2.There were actual jobs created.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The same exact things Dems pointed out is wrong when numbers were released during Bush years. The numbers donot reflect the millions unemoloyed but NOT on the unemployment rolls. So the problem is in not counting the millions who have run out of unemploment but who are still not working. Or so Dems insisted was the case 5 years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN