Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What, exactly is the claim that the September unemployment numbers are falsified about, anyway?

Posted by   + Show Post

So it has been repeatedly stated in threads on this board that the report is somehow false, or misleading in some way.  What is behind this claim?  Do people really think that the numbers are false?  Do they think that the number is only down because of people who have dropped out of the workforce?   Are there really people who think Obama can influence the BLS to put out false numbers?

It seems to be the latest Republican talking point.  

ETA Here is the link to the Sept report.  You can also read past reports and look up stats, even for the "real" unemployment number.  They will explain what each number means and who it will include, it is an interesting site. http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Replies (91-99):
jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this
The fact that only about 130,000 jobs were created but the number fell to 7.8%. It doesn't make sense.
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Quoting Bookwormy:

There have been at least three posts about the horror of healthier meals/food in the public schools. Clearly, she didn't see the first post. If people keep complaining about healthier food for children, let's keep discussing those that complain about a decrease in unemployment. Its even the same people complaining for the most part, LOL.

BTW, thanks for the debate info.

Quoting grandmab125:

This was already hashed over on another post.  So, why are you doing it again?

I saw the first post.  That would be why I questioned the poster as to why she was posting this, since the subject had already been discussed.  And what does food in public schools have to do with the unemployment rates?

grandma B

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM
We seem to *always* discuss topics multiple times on this list. After I left this thread I noticed Nye vs Ham on evolution for at least the second time was being discussed. The topics aren't relevant to this one, other than they are being brought up multiple times in this group. Those topics are being brought up by conservatives I think, this one I believe by a liberal. Is that why you are are asking? ;-). I'll keep my eyes open for other repeat topics & note them for you, conservative or liberal, just so you can get on the new threads & point out that they are being repetative. But please, not only the liberal ones, OK! ;-)

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Bookwormy:

There have been at least three posts about the horror of healthier meals/food in the public schools. Clearly, she didn't see the first post. If people keep complaining about healthier food for children, let's keep discussing those that complain about a decrease in unemployment. Its even the same people complaining for the most part, LOL.

Quoting grandmab125:

I saw the first post.  That would be why I questioned the poster as to why she was posting this, since the subject had already been discussed.  And what does food in public schools have to do with the unemployment rates?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

It is quite sad that people wouldn't just be happy that other people are working.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ms-superwoman:

I have heard some people say they dont feel that minimum wage or seasonal jobs count. Which I don't really understand, a little income is better than no income. 

They don't count to those who do not feel those are 'real jobs'.  Some people finally get to work and people will complain they do not count.  However, when those same people where out of work, the numbers worked better for some.

SMH

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Shitty job or best job in the world, a job is a job.

Quoting lga1965:

Exactly! Seasonal jobs quite often become permanent jobs.Years ago I had a seasonal job at a department store--I worked my butt off--and I got a permanent position and a raise after the holiday season. You have to make the best out of a so-so situation and at least TRY,you know. People who say they won't take a job that is "below them" or that doesn't pay enough are snobs --snobs who aren't earning any money.

I am getting sick of people saying the  drop in unemployment is fake or "created by the Obama campaign" . Its immature. Right wing gossiping.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

I have heard some people say they dont feel that minimum wage or seasonal jobs count. Which I don't really understand, a little income is better than no income. 

tina454542
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course they are false.  There are still over 23 million people out of work in this country who no longer are counted because they can no longer get unemployment.  It is sad and disheartning to see what I country has come to.  I hope in the next 4 years we will see the economy getting back to normal but it may take years before we see this happen.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Second thread I've seen now about Pulpit Freedom Sunday. Gosh it seems like a lot of threads get repeated here!

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting grandmab125:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I think I just saw the 2nd R will cut PBS $ thread.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting grandmab125:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:17 AM
There are 2 active (well 1 has 0 traffic, LOL) posts about Big Bird & Obama right now. R wants to kill BB; O will save BB ads, candlegal mocks O's ads wanting to save BB. ROFLMTushyO!

Quoting Bookwormy:

We seem to *always* discuss topics multiple times on this list. After I left this thread I noticed Nye vs Ham on evolution for at least the second time was being discussed. The topics aren't relevant to this one, other than they are being brought up multiple times in this group. Those topics are being brought up by conservatives I think, this one I believe by a liberal. Is that why you are are asking? ;-). I'll keep my eyes open for other repeat topics & note them for you, conservative or liberal, just so you can get on the new threads & point out that they are being repetative. But please, not only the liberal ones, OK! ;-)

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting grandmab125:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN