Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parents Upset Over Lunchtime Palm Scanner

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM
  • 64 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you be ok with a palm scanner in your child's lunchroom?

Options:

Yes

No

I am not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

Parents Upset Over Lunchtime Palm Scanner

$300,000 system leads to privacy concerns.

Parents of students at Carroll County schools in Baltimore, Md., say a new policy that scans kids' palms to pay for their lunches goes too far.

Photo: Barbara Haddock Taylor/Baltimore Sun/MCT via Getty ImagesWith the PalmSecure system, students hover their hands over an infrared scanner that ID's them by the unique patterns in their skin and registers a sale, according to a report from the Daily Herald.

The Herald talked to Mike Richmond, who has two children at a Westminster elementary school. He said the scanning started before parents were given the chance to opt-out.

"I didn't appreciate how they handled it. I'm concerned about it. I know it's the way of the future, but it's fingerprinting, it's palm-printing."

The district said the goal is to decrease the time it takes to pay for lunches since the children have a limited amount of time to eat their meals.

The controversial system is operating in three Carroll County elementary schools with plans to expand to the whole district within a year. It's also used in many other schools around the country where there have also been concerns about invasion of privacy as well as the cost of the system. Once implemented, PalmSecure will run the Carroll County district about $300,000.

Bing: Read more about the story.

Photo: Barbara Haddock Taylor/Baltimore Sun/MCT via Getty Images

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM
12 moms liked this
As cool as that is, that $300,000 could have been better spent on books, equipment or learning materials
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

ok the price tag, wow, but really, i see nothing wrong with it. 

Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Umm no I'd be pissed. That's an invasion of privacy. I wouldn't allow my child to do that. There are so many things that could go wrong with something like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Quoting Aamy:

ok the price tag, wow, but really, i see nothing wrong with it. 

yup...

it in the end, it would probably be cheaper than the way my son's school does it.. which is issue everyone a name badge with a barcode.

lga1965
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I didn't appreciate how they handled it. I'm concerned about it. I know it's the way of the future, but it's fingerprinting, it's palm-printing."

The district said the goal is to decrease the time it takes to pay for lunches since the children have a limited amount of time to eat their meals.

If it speeds up the process of buying their lunches and gives them more time to eat, then it sounds good to me.

Are parents afraid that their palm prints will let the government find out that their kids are wanted felons in every state ? LOL. That was a joke, sarcasm. I really don't think it is a health hazard either. Why are so many people so paranoid now?

But,really, what the hell is the big deal?We all get our fingerprints on record for lots of reasons eventually ....I had mine recorded when I got my Military dependent ID in 2004. I am not worried.

Aamy
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Roxygurl:

Umm no I'd be pissed. That's an invasion of privacy. I wouldn't allow my child to do that. There are so many things that could go wrong with something like that.

Not really. You do realize that your info is out there already ?? Its not a invasion of privacy. I dont think kids that young have done anything illegal to want to hide. Ever have to swipe a badge to get into a building ?? Personal pins to get into things ?? Info is all there. 

_Kissy_
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Finger prints are taken the moment they're born. So this doesn't bother me. But the pricetag. ouch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM

That is a chunk of change that I think could probably be put to better use.

When Mr. Richmond registered his children for school, was he vague in who he was registering? Did he have to show a birth certificate? a shot record?

I'm failing to see where a palm printing is an invasion of privacy but I am once again reminded of how grateful I am that we do not have to deal with ps bs both from admins, districts but also other parents who complain about small things like this.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:22 PM
4 moms liked this

Call me a tech geek, but I think it's kind of cool!  And as a kid, I would have absolutely loved it, being the nerd that I was lol

Besides, DH actually used a similar type thing to clock in at his old job.  I AM in a bit of sticker shock over the price tag of it though...but if the school could afford it, and there were no other financial needs that needed the funds more, then I guess I can't begrudge them the scanner.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM
6 moms liked this

About to say...hospitals better stop finger and foot printing then.  

Althoug I must really hate privacy lol.  I had my kids finger printed last year when the local PD was doing a child safety work shop at a consignment sale.  They did two sets.  One set, you keep, the other is kept with the name of the parents. YOu can change your contact info with them online.  One of the hospitals here now uses the program.  Lets say your child is away from you, and heaven forbid, they are hurt or something...they can find the parents quickly through it.  It also is great if you get seperated from your very young child.  A  police officer can check their prints with the data base, and contact you that way (which is why you keep your info updated). 

Quoting _Kissy_:

Finger prints are taken the moment they're born. So this doesn't bother me. But the pricetag. ouch.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)