Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents Upset Over Lunchtime Palm Scanner

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you be ok with a palm scanner in your child's lunchroom?

Options:

Yes

No

I am not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

Parents Upset Over Lunchtime Palm Scanner

$300,000 system leads to privacy concerns.

Parents of students at Carroll County schools in Baltimore, Md., say a new policy that scans kids' palms to pay for their lunches goes too far.

Photo: Barbara Haddock Taylor/Baltimore Sun/MCT via Getty ImagesWith the PalmSecure system, students hover their hands over an infrared scanner that ID's them by the unique patterns in their skin and registers a sale, according to a report from the Daily Herald.

The Herald talked to Mike Richmond, who has two children at a Westminster elementary school. He said the scanning started before parents were given the chance to opt-out.

"I didn't appreciate how they handled it. I'm concerned about it. I know it's the way of the future, but it's fingerprinting, it's palm-printing."

The district said the goal is to decrease the time it takes to pay for lunches since the children have a limited amount of time to eat their meals.

The controversial system is operating in three Carroll County elementary schools with plans to expand to the whole district within a year. It's also used in many other schools around the country where there have also been concerns about invasion of privacy as well as the cost of the system. Once implemented, PalmSecure will run the Carroll County district about $300,000.

Bing: Read more about the story.

Photo: Barbara Haddock Taylor/Baltimore Sun/MCT via Getty Images

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Besides the price tag, I see no problem with it.  Gets the kids through the lines really quick.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

The price is what caught my attention more than any thing else.

Really parents, this is not as big of a deal as many would like to think. 

I bet those little ones get a kick out of it.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM
4 moms liked this

That is actually creepy.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM
I voted no simply because it seems strange to me. I'm not ready for all futuristic things.
tmajma032408
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM
whats next? A barcode on their forehead?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM
3 moms liked this
I just dont see the point in it, to me its just a waste of money. That 300,000+ could go towards giving the kids a better education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TB78
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I voted no after seeing how much they cost. I mean seriously $300,000 for a palm scanner?! You know who has to pay for that right. Us the taxpayers!! Oh Hell NO!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM
This doesn't bother me at all... but I'm not hoping to raise criminals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow....is this the way the dept. of education is spending taxpayer money? 

I just hope there are enough Bible believers out there to see this is the beginning of the end for us. 

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if it is the " Mark of the Beast" but there is a mark in the accounting ledger that says 300,000 dollars for this scanner. The taxpayer pays for this and that money could of gone for teaching materials, books,or teachers salaries. It is disgusting this waste of money. Oh I hope this nonsense doesn't spread to other schools. Think of the wasted dollars the taxpayer will pay!

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Wow....is this the way the dept. of education is spending taxpayer money? 

I just hope there are enough Bible believers out there to see this is the beginning of the end for us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured