Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parents Upset Over Lunchtime Palm Scanner

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you be ok with a palm scanner in your child's lunchroom?

Options:

Yes

No

I am not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

Parents Upset Over Lunchtime Palm Scanner

$300,000 system leads to privacy concerns.

Parents of students at Carroll County schools in Baltimore, Md., say a new policy that scans kids' palms to pay for their lunches goes too far.

Photo: Barbara Haddock Taylor/Baltimore Sun/MCT via Getty ImagesWith the PalmSecure system, students hover their hands over an infrared scanner that ID's them by the unique patterns in their skin and registers a sale, according to a report from the Daily Herald.

The Herald talked to Mike Richmond, who has two children at a Westminster elementary school. He said the scanning started before parents were given the chance to opt-out.

"I didn't appreciate how they handled it. I'm concerned about it. I know it's the way of the future, but it's fingerprinting, it's palm-printing."

The district said the goal is to decrease the time it takes to pay for lunches since the children have a limited amount of time to eat their meals.

The controversial system is operating in three Carroll County elementary schools with plans to expand to the whole district within a year. It's also used in many other schools around the country where there have also been concerns about invasion of privacy as well as the cost of the system. Once implemented, PalmSecure will run the Carroll County district about $300,000.

Bing: Read more about the story.

Photo: Barbara Haddock Taylor/Baltimore Sun/MCT via Getty Images

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Replies (61-64):
VisionSeeker
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

this.  Our school uses a number code.  Guess what, it's the last 4 of their social.  Palm scanners can't be much worse.

Quoting Aamy:

ok the price tag, wow, but really, i see nothing wrong with it. 

paknari
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
The price is too high and the money could've been better spent but the time thing is great. Not to mention the children getting free lunch don't get singled out. When I was in school they had different colored tickets for paying versus non paying. The non paying always got teased for being poor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM
It's the mark of the beast! Lol

My gym has thumb print access, we can charge stuff to our account that way. It's nice bc while working out, you don't want to carry a wallet. As far as the school goes, I don't have an issue with it either if the goal is efficiency and will save money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Many hospitals have finger print controlled access to computers and medication delivery systems.

I guess I'm doomed.

My kids are over age 18 but I would not be frightened by this practice.

It's a brand new world, folks.

Quoting illegallyblonde:

It's the mark of the beast! Lol

My gym has thumb print access, we can charge stuff to our account that way. It's nice bc while working out, you don't want to carry a wallet. As far as the school goes, I don't have an issue with it either if the goal is efficiency and will save money.

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN