Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM
3 moms liked this

Perhaps they should just stick with what the bill is for and skip all the add ons...that is usually where they lose the votes. 

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Point blank- ALL parties involved are responsible. Stop blaming each other and do your DAMN job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Couple of things:

One: The Congress includes the house of reps and the senate.

Two: And you really didn't notice the massive jump in shutting down bills between Dubya and Obama? While democrats did have a small majority, they needed a sixty count to bypass the automatic shutdowns of bills that was attempted in every bill that had a democrat's DNA on the paperwork. That required every democrat voting for the bill every time and democrats don't do as well at total party obedience as the republicans do. So it isn't the way you are trying to make it appear. Dirty tricks through filibusters and cloture and the many other used to slow down or stop the process don't reflect the will of the people, but it does show the depths people are willing to plumb to make sure the country doesn't bounce back and give Obama any happy news for his presidency. That they are willing to destroy America for their hatred of one man. That is a disturbing and unamerican thing they are doing.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Holy shit! Did you see the effects of an election years in 2010? Yow, talk about posturing for the camera. Blaming the president for stalling bills when they kill whatever he touches. Nice

Another ignorant answer from you.  Cloture is a process used in the Senate.....and last time I checked, the dems still have control.

Buying the party line doesn't make you right.  A few of them some of the dem senators wouldn't support.  The ACESA (cap and trade) wasn't even voted on because the Senate wouldn't consider it right before the 2010 election.  There were quite a few dems who opposed it also.  Again, The Disclosure Act, also was not passed because the Senators were really leery of having their own financing records disclosed before the upcoming 2010 elections.  The Republicans were considering supporting the Bring Jobs Home Bill until Harry Reid said he wouldn't include any GOP amendments in it.

Oh, and by the way, I do know how cloture works.  If anything, that graphic just goes to show you, that when the Republicans were in, we actually got things done.  The number of clotures and filibusters actually dropped from the Clinton years.

grandma B

lga1965
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Quoting rfurlongg:

That is why I do not think it matters who wins the presidential election. If congress does not turn over, little will change.

That's depressing!

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

The Repubs can still fillibuster. Dems may have the majority, but it's not enough of a majority to fillibuster proof anything they pass in the Senate. So I think maybe you are the one who doesn't understand how things work.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Sisteract:

Most of us would be fired from our jobs if we produced so little "work."

Of course, obstruction was touted as the game by the Golden Congress of 2010.

You just can't resist it, can you?  Congress has absolutely nothing to do with the use of cloture in the Senate, which has been controlled by the dems since 2006.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I understand exactly what cloture is.  And it is not a procedure used in the Congress.  It is only used in the Senate, which is what I said in the first place.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

And the Dems do not have enough of a majority in the Senate to fillibuster proof anything they try to pass there. What part of that do you not understand? Clearly, all of it, because you sound like a broken record, repeating that you know what cloture is. Glad you know what that is. Now go educate yourself on what a fillibuster is.

Quoting grandmab125:

I understand exactly what cloture is.  And it is not a procedure used in the Congress.  It is only used in the Senate, which is what I said in the first place.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Quoting cjsbmom:

And the Dems do not have enough of a majority in the Senate to fillibuster proof anything they try to pass there. What part of that do you not understand? Clearly, all of it, because you sound like a broken record, repeating that you know what cloture is. Glad you know what that is. Now go educate yourself on what a fillibuster is.

Quoting grandmab125:

Filibusters and cloture are always used by the minority in the Senate.  If you'll notice, when the republicans held both houses, they got a lot done.  In fact, they dropped off after the Clinton admin.  And gee, surprise, I am fully aware of what a filibuster is too.  Maybe if Obama was doing his job and working with the Senate and Congress something would get done.  Harry Reid is just as uncompromising as Obama.

grandma B

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

But that's an essential part of the game, and the reason for having all those pricey lobbyists.

I do agree with your point though.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Perhaps they should just stick with what the bill is for and skip all the add ons...that is usually where they lose the votes. 

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Yep- my point exactly. Do YOUR damn job. Congressional members have abdicated that role.

Quoting Ktina11:

Point blank- ALL parties involved are responsible. Stop blaming each other and do your DAMN job.

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN