Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher Assigns Extremely Offensive Math Homework

Posted by   + Show Post

Teacher Assigns Extremely Offensive Math Homework

Lakeland Union High School Math Assignment Has Lac Du Flambeau Members Upset Over Cultural Insensitivity

Lakeland Union High School Homework

An offensive math homework assignment issued to students at Lakeland Union High School has members of the Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa in Wisconsin urging administrators to bring more cultural sensitivity to the school’s curriculum, Indian Country Today Media Network reports.

Abbey Thompson, a member of the Lac du Flambeau Tribe, posted a photo of her son Noah’s completed homework assignment to Facebook, attracting inflammatory responses from across the country and Canada.

“What happened after Chief Short Cake Died?” is the question posed at the top of the assignment — the answer to which was “Squaw Bury Short Cake.”

Richard Vesbach, a third-year math teacher at LUHS and the one responsible for assigning the homework, has since written a number of apology letters.

Vesbach explains that he found the assignment in an outdated book of worksheets from the 1980s that had been left in the classroom when he started teaching. He says he has gotten rid of the book.

“None of that excuses what has happened and I take full responsibility for my actions,” Vesbach wrote. “No one else is to blame but me. As a result, LUHS has appropriately sent me home for the day. I recommended that they not pay me.”

School administrators would not comment on whether Vesbach would face further disciplinary action.

In January, a suburban Atlanta teacher resigned following an investigation over third-grade students being assigned math homework that included word problems about slavery.

One of the problems read: "Each tree has 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"

Another was: "If Frederick got two beatings each day, how many beatings did he get in one week?"

lakeland union high school math assignment

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Replies (151-160):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Yes, I know.

Yes, I said 'not quite right'. I asked a specific person a question. Specific to her, as she had made a statement. You jumped in and said "You would punch me in the face". That's a little bit violent, don't you think? Normal people don't usually jump into a conversation with that being their opening line.

Quoting LauraKW:

Native Americans - I prefer the term Indian - cultures are not the same. We have our own languages - not just dialects, completely different languages. Our own customs, our own histories. Tribes have different governments, different Constitutions, different laws, different treaties with the US govt. We are all indigenous to this hemisphere, and our tribes basically had similar shitty outcomes with the US govt. I'm Cherokee. We tend to have higher or more prominent cheekbones than other tribes. I've noticed that Kiowa tend to have a sharper nasal ridge. I'm not terribly familiar with the Navajo but they seem to have darker skin than Cherokee in general - perhaps because the Cherokee originate from the North Carolina area and lived more in shaded areas than the Navajo who lived in more arid sun-baked lands.

Using a word from one language, one culture, when there are hundreds of tribes - using one word to generally address all Native American women is marginalizing at best.

I find it ironic that you threw the term "Oriental" in there. Something "not quite right" about the way I talk online - that is hyterical, I'm going to work that into a conversation somewhere.

Quoting EireLass:

"Within the same culture".....I'm saying it this way, rather than create a long drawn out paragraph. I figured you might be smart enough to catch on. Native Americans...not really grouping them together, yet I am. (meaning them as opposed to all people ie. Oriental, African American, etc etc) And because the only ones who've talked about this with experience are (supposed) Native Americans, and have identified they are with a particular tribe. From my experience, no they are not all the same. You have come out with your fists up....I don't think I was first to present you as a negative person. I'd say you did very well on that, yourself. There is something 'not quite right' with a person who talks as you have, online.

Quoting LauraKW:

Did I ever say "squaw" meant "cunt"? "Within the same cultures" - what cultures are you referring to? Do you think all Native Americans are the same, that we all have one culture? You seem very focused on presenting me as a negative person, intent on trying to make this personally about me. Why?
Quoting EireLass:

Well, yes, for you. Because you can only allow yourself for it to mean you're a cunt and nothing more. How is it that it can mean 2 totally different things within the same cultures? Or is it more that some people, such as yourself, will do anything to find negativity in things. That you are by nature, not happy unless you can bring misery into something? That you can only be violent rather than enlightening, etc?

Quoting LauraKW:

Ostensibly "colored" is merely a distiction of skin pigmentation. Though grammatically appropriate, I doubt a black person would tell you it is a term of respect. "Squaw" is not a term of respect no matter how it is spun.
Quoting EireLass:

So even though it only means woman, wouldn't you want to educate your husband and children on that? And wouldn't it really only make you roll your eyes at someone who's trying to be tough (by using derogatory terms) and has no clue that he's addressing you respectfully? If anything, I'd think it would make you laugh in their face.

Quoting fmchavez:

I have only ever been called a squaw in a derogatory manner. That word has horrible connotations despite the fact that it actually just means woman (especially since few who actually use this word know that). I would not be happy if my daughters brought this home. My husband would likely flip his lid (and that takes a lot from him, he doesn't even honk the horn in the car when it's warranted).

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I already stated why. I asked a specific person in here a question, based on her comment. Out of nowhere you jumped in and said "You'd punch me right in the face". That's a little wild.

Quoting LauraKW:

I apparently gave you more credit than you deserved. You're second sentence makes no sense. I don't understand why you're fixated on making this personal.
Quoting EireLass:

Well, I find that hard to believe. CafeMom is not your spiritual tribal ground, yet you'd use physical force as opposed to calm information.

Quoting LauraKW:

I can see by your comments that comprehension is not your friend today. I'll use small words if it will help you. Don't come up to me at a spritual event on holy grounds that belong to my tribe and call me a racial slur that insults my people. That is not the time or place for me to teach anything. You would have to be a guest to be there at all. Outside of that scenario I would - and have - educated people on the ways of my tribe and Indians in general. I had a lengthy conversation today with my Samoan co-worker about the differences and similarities between our people. We both learn a lot from each other.

Quoting EireLass:

I'm not as thin-skinned as you I guess. I have been called plenty. I hardly felt the urge to 'punch someone in the face' over it. How you address it is really what matters. And we can see by your comments, you don't have the ability to teach, to bring thoughtful advice to, or to calmly correct anyone. You can only retaliate physically.....over a word. You've referred to yourself as a middle aged woman. I hate to think this is how you react to people when they say things you don't like. They say the world's going to hell in a handbasket. Are you carrying it?

Quoting LauraKW:

You might ask that of a person who would call someone a racial slur to their face.
Quoting EireLass:

Why would you put yourself in such a dangerous position over one word?

Quoting LauraKW:

I would likely punch you in the face.
Quoting EireLass:

And what would you do if someone did that?

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

If someone was to walk up to me at a powwow and call me a squaw I'm certainly not going to laugh (and it has happened) nor would I be happy to see it on my sons homework. But he did apologize
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I'm not missing anything. I don't call black people anything. Racist or otherwise. 

Everything is a slur, depending on who you talk to.

It was a Native American/Indian that was called brown skinned.

Quoting krysstizzle:

It seems like you're deliberately missing my point, which is simply this: words mean something, and a seemingly inocuous word can most certainly be a racially charged slur (i.e. colored or squaw).

Do you seriously not know that calling a black person 'colored' would be a very racist thing to say?

And I have yet to hear anyone say that "brown skinned" is a racial slur. I've never heard it used as such. 

Quoting EireLass:

I'm not Native American. A couple of Native American women (they say they are, we don't really know each other) have said it means different things. If you read through the entire post, she is the only one speaking in physical rage. Others are talking in a teaching way. A black and a colored are two different things aren't they? We're all colors, but we're not all black. And I don't call anyone anything so none of this really means anything to me. But now that I think of it....remembering my daughter at 3. She called someone "brown-skinned".....wonder if she should have been punched in the face.

Quoting krysstizzle:

You asked the question "how is it that it can mean 2 totally different things within the same culture?" then went on to insinuate that that would only happen if a person was being unhappy and negative, which is (obviously) patently untrue. So the comparison is fair.

Quoting EireLass:

I thought we were talking about Native Americans?

Quoting krysstizzle:

So you think it would be entirely appropriate to call a black person "colored"? Since, of course, colored has more than one meaning in this culture. 

Quoting EireLass:

Well, yes, for you. Because you can only allow yourself for it to mean you're a cunt and nothing more. How is it that it can mean 2 totally different things within the same cultures? Or is it more that some people, such as yourself, will do anything to find negativity in things. That you are by nature, not happy unless you can bring misery into something? That you can only be violent rather than enlightening, etc?

Quoting LauraKW:

Ostensibly "colored" is merely a distiction of skin pigmentation. Though grammatically appropriate, I doubt a black person would tell you it is a term of respect. "Squaw" is not a term of respect no matter how it is spun.
Quoting EireLass:

So even though it only means woman, wouldn't you want to educate your husband and children on that? And wouldn't it really only make you roll your eyes at someone who's trying to be tough (by using derogatory terms) and has no clue that he's addressing you respectfully? If anything, I'd think it would make you laugh in their face.

Quoting fmchavez:

I have only ever been called a squaw in a derogatory manner. That word has horrible connotations despite the fact that it actually just means woman (especially since few who actually use this word know that). I would not be happy if my daughters brought this home. My husband would likely flip his lid (and that takes a lot from him, he doesn't even honk the horn in the car when it's warranted).

krysstizzle
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM

No, everything is not a slur. Some things are a slur. 

And you're still deliberately missing the point. 

Quoting EireLass:

I'm not missing anything. I don't call black people anything. Racist or otherwise. 

Everything is a slur, depending on who you talk to.

It was a Native American/Indian that was called brown skinned.

Quoting krysstizzle:

It seems like you're deliberately missing my point, which is simply this: words mean something, and a seemingly inocuous word can most certainly be a racially charged slur (i.e. colored or squaw).

Do you seriously not know that calling a black person 'colored' would be a very racist thing to say?

And I have yet to hear anyone say that "brown skinned" is a racial slur. I've never heard it used as such. 

Quoting EireLass:

I'm not Native American. A couple of Native American women (they say they are, we don't really know each other) have said it means different things. If you read through the entire post, she is the only one speaking in physical rage. Others are talking in a teaching way. A black and a colored are two different things aren't they? We're all colors, but we're not all black. And I don't call anyone anything so none of this really means anything to me. But now that I think of it....remembering my daughter at 3. She called someone "brown-skinned".....wonder if she should have been punched in the face.

Quoting krysstizzle:

You asked the question "how is it that it can mean 2 totally different things within the same culture?" then went on to insinuate that that would only happen if a person was being unhappy and negative, which is (obviously) patently untrue. So the comparison is fair.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting krysstizzle:

So you think it would be entirely appropriate to call a black person "colored"? Since, of course, colored has more than one meaning in this culture. 

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting fmchavez:

OneToughMami
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Lame...but the offensive part is the math!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Well, the one in here that gave the long lecture on speaking, and not calling names, slurs, etc.....used a slur in her conversation. When called on it, she didn't even know it was a slur. So I guess if you don't know it's a slur, it's okay to use it.

Okay....what's the point that's so important that you're hounding about?

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting EireLass:

I'm not missing anything. I don't call black people anything. Racist or otherwise. Everything is a slur, depending on who you talk to. It was a Native American/Indian that was called brown skinned.

Quoting krysstizzle:

It seems like you're deliberately missing my point, which is simply this: words mean something, and a seemingly inocuous word can most certainly be a racially charged slur (i.e. colored or squaw). Do you seriously not know that calling a black person 'colored' would be a very racist thing to say? And I have yet to hear anyone say that "brown skinned" is a racial slur. I've never heard it used as such. 

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting fmchavez:

athomemommie
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Solution: Quick way to avoid this situation ==> Homeschool =)

Trying to put the fire out ==> We are all the "human race" there is one race not many, we are all from one family, Noah's family that got out of the ark together, remember? They loved one another and we should try to do the same if at all possible. We are not defined by our skin color and should stop telling our children to divide by skin color.

It isn't always easy but we should try to be kind and set an example for our children, showing love, because you never know when you might be in the presence of an Angel (that looks like a person) looking to see who you are and how you treat others.

krysstizzle
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM

There, I highlighted it in red for you. Pretty simple, easy point. 

Quoting EireLass:

Well, the one in here that gave the long lecture on speaking, and not calling names, slurs, etc.....used a slur in her conversation. When called on it, she didn't even know it was a slur. So I guess if you don't know it's a slur, it's okay to use it.

Okay....what's the point that's so important that you're hounding about?

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting EireLass:

I'm not missing anything. I don't call black people anything. Racist or otherwise. Everything is a slur, depending on who you talk to. It was a Native American/Indian that was called brown skinned.

Quoting krysstizzle:

It seems like you're deliberately missing my point, which is simply this: words mean something, and a seemingly inocuous word can most certainly be a racially charged slur (i.e. colored or squaw). Do you seriously not know that calling a black person 'colored' would be a very racist thing to say? And I have yet to hear anyone say that "brown skinned" is a racial slur. I've never heard it used as such. 

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting fmchavez:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Of course it's inappropriate, now. Why are you asking that? Again I say....I don't call them anything.

There is a slur for everyone. People need to get over themselves. How does a person move forward through life if they let words lead them? In the middle of this post, it was dinner time. I asked my husband what he would do if he were walking into a store, and someone made a slur towards him about his nationality. He has an intimidating way about him, so it's unlikely someone would do such a thing out of nowhere. However, he said he'd just laugh, ignore, or roll his eyes. Move on through your day. I think the problem for people is they give too much creedence to people they believe to be idiots.

Quoting krysstizzle:

There, I highlighted it in red for you. Pretty simple, easy point. 

Quoting EireLass:

Well, the one in here that gave the long lecture on speaking, and not calling names, slurs, etc.....used a slur in her conversation. When called on it, she didn't even know it was a slur. So I guess if you don't know it's a slur, it's okay to use it. Okay....what's the point that's so important that you're hounding about?

Quoting krysstizzle:

No, everything is not a slur. Some things are a slur. And you're still deliberately missing the point. 

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting fmchavez:

polkaspots
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM
I had to read the comments to find the slur.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)