Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Enter Detroit at your own risk,' police tell Tigers fans

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:31 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

Police officers greeted Detroit Tigers fans before their team’s win Saturday night with an urgent message: “Enter Detroit at Your Own Risk.”

The message, relayed in the form of a flier, was delivered by about 400 off-duty police officers before the Tigers won the first game of their division series against the A’s, My Fox Detroit reported.

As they poured into Comerica Park, fans were given the fliers reading: “Attention: Enter Detroit at Your Own Risk.” It warned that Detroit is America’s most violent city and that the city’s police force is grossly understaffed.

"We're not discouraging people from coming, I love the city, I want them to realize we don't have enough man hours," police union president Joe Duncan told the station. "I don't think the city is going to get same officer 8 hours a day as you do for 12 hours a day."

According to My Fox Detroit, fans also were urged to vote yes on Proposal 2, which would guarantee collective bargaining rights.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/07/enter-detroit-at-your-own-risk-police-tell-tigers-fans/?test=latestnews#ixzz28hbLOe5Z

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this

My vote as well as my sons and husbands is a resounding NO on proposal 2. 

LaughingTattoo
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Well, why?

Quoting Carpy:

My vote as well as my sons and husbands is a resounding NO on proposal 2. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:43 AM
Scare tactics , politics and unions oh my!

Is it the most dangerous city in America?

Is the police force understaffed?

Don't know enough about the situation there to answer but if the points are valid, and politics are getting in the way of public safety...I would say there is nothing wrong with the flyer

If its just a matter of overtime and playing politics...I would say its dirty

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

The politics in Detroit have been scrutinized for a long time. This is sad, that they did this. But if they are understaffed, I'd look for ways of getting it out there too!

I am not sure if they are understaffed - I live across the state. But I do hear bad things coming out of that area. Not on my top 100, of things in my state, I'd want to visit.

AMBG825
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Yes. The police force is grossly understaffed. They are required to work overtime because there aren't enough officers. The city is dead broke and can't hire any either.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Don't know enough about the situation there to answer but if the points are valid, and politics are getting in the way of public safety...I would say there is nothing wrong with the flyer

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My DH was offered a job near there, that paid more money and he didn't take it.  Its looking like we made a great decision.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM

In this case, I have to agree with the statements in the OP.  It's no secret that things are horrible there.  The average police response time is almost 38 minutes.  It is not really the fault of officers, but the fact that there is so much crime, and not enough officers to do anything about it.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I can understand why they would want to get the word out.  The fact that they feel it is necessary is sad and scary in itself.

I can't comment on Prop 2, I know nothing about it.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I didn't know either. So I google it

Michigan Civil Rights Initiative

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Michigan Civil Rights Initiative (MCRI), or Proposal 2 (Michigan 06-2), was a ballot initiative in the U.S. state of Michigan that passed into Michigan Constitutional law by a 58% to 42% margin on November 7, 2006, according to results officially certified by the Michigan Secretary of State. By Michigan law, the Proposal became law on December 22, 2006. MCRI was legislation aimed at stopping the preferential treatment of minorities (by race, color, sex, or religion) in getting admission to colleges, jobs, and other publicly funded institutions. It was decried by some opponents as a repeal of the 1964 civil rights act.[1]

The United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit overturned MCRI on July 1, 2011.[2] Judges R. Guy Cole Jr. and Martha Craig Daughtrey said that "Proposal 2 reorders the political process in Michigan to place special burdens on minority interests." Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette said he will appeal the court ruling.[3]

Bill Schutte, Attorney General for the State of Michigan announced his appeal of the Sixth Circuit's decision on July 28, 2011. The MCRI stands in effect until this appeal is complete.[

Actual Text of Amendment

The ballot initiative amended the Michigan Constitution to include a new section (Section 26 of Article I)[5]:

Civil Rights.

1. The University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Grand Valley State University, and any other public college or university, community college, or school district shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.
  2. The state shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.
  3. For the purposes of this section "state" includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the state itself, any city, county, any public college, university, or community college, school district, or other political subdivision or governmental instrumentality of or within the State of Michigan not included in sub-section 1.
  4. This section does not prohibit action that must be taken to establish or maintain eligibility for any federal program, if ineligibility would result in a loss of federal funds to the state.
  5. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted as prohibiting bona fide qualifications based on sex that are reasonably necessary to the normal operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.
  6. The remedies available for violations of this section shall be the same, regardless of the injured party's race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin, as are otherwise available for violations of Michigan anti-discrimination law.
  7. This section shall be self-executing. If any part or parts of this section are found to be in conflict with the United States Constitution or federal law, the section shall be implemented to the maximum extent that the United States Constitution and federal law permit. Any provision held invalid shall be severable from the remaining portions of this section.
  8. This section applies only to action taken after the effective date of this section.
  9. This section does not invalidate any court order or consent decree that is in force as of the effective date of this section.

Proposal 2's constitutionality has been challenged in federal court. On 21 March 2008 however, Judge David M. Lawson of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan dismissed a case filed by plaintiffs challenging the constitutionality of Proposal 2. Judge Lawson held that Proposal 2 does not violate the United States Constitution.Opinion
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Civil_Rights_Initiative

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I can understand why they would want to get the word out.  The fact that they feel it is necessary is sad and scary in itself.

I can't comment on Prop 2, I know nothing about it.

muslimah
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Well they don't call it he murder capital for nothing and yes the police as well as EMS are very under staffed, under paid and most of them are criminals their self.

Click to join

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN