Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Einstein letter on God to be auctioned on eBay

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

The envelope which contained a letter handwritten by physicist Albert Einstein to philosopher Erik Gutkind is seen in an undated handout photo. A letter handwritten by physicist Albert Einstein a year before his death, expressing his views on religion, will be sold on eBay this month with an opening bid of $3 million, auction agency Auction Cause said on October 2, 2012.  REUTERS/Golan Weiser/Handout   (UNITED STATES - Tags: SOCIETY EDUCATION RELIGION) NO SALES. NO ARCHIVES. FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS

LONDON (AP) — A letter in which Albert Einstein dismissed the idea of God as a product of human weakness is being sold oneBay for a starting price of $3 million.

The letter, handwritten in 1954, a year before Einstein's death, was addressed to philosopher Eric Gutkind. In it, Einstein discussed his views on religion, including calling "the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."

An anonymous collector who bought the letter in 2008 is putting it on sale on online auction site eBay from Monday. The auction closes Oct. 18.

Eric Gazin, a spokesman for the sale, said Sunday: "With the interest in Einstein, along with the questions this (letter) touches on, we feel it is well worth the price."

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM
4 moms liked this

I so wish I had an extra $3 million lying around.  :-)

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

bump

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this

It literally makes me want to weep that I can't meet Einstein. 

batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I wish I were rich

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)